Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    By the way Zen, I know it's a pretty obvious question, but... Did you make a police report?
    Naw, what Oakleaf said
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Naw, what Oakleaf said
    Yes, I know (love my dog!), but usually dogs cannot testify in Court...
    Give her an extra treat from us anyway, she totally earned it!

Zen... good for you and your brave babies.

As you know, I had to go through putting my beloved girl down. Her big dog bark definately kept the riff raff to a minimum. The post bike theft attempt came after her sickness and lack of bark.

I was just sitting in my beach chair tonight next to the rack where my baby used to lay in the garage, and along comes my neighbor walking her dogs. She knew my girl was sick and asked how she was. I told her the deal. We had the discussion about her watching out for her garage and property and how the doggies keep unwanteds away. She's a young widow lady and told me about a break in at her house. But... since she got this new barking doggie, that has stopped.

No respectable person would just show up on someone's property univited to do "whatever" the man was mumbling about before you let your girl outside. Just like my bike theives that specifically came back to my house, that yahoo was probably taking pics of what was good to steal. I say, let him be milkbone dog biscuits!

Btw... on the side bar subject of dog biscuits, one lady I encountered while buying my memorial doggie flowers said someone poisoned her dogs. Thieves will sometimes do that to rob. My trainer had told me that one can train your dog to not take treats without your command. That's a hard one, as the doggie wants to naturally eat free food. Watch your yard for any stray scrap stuff that might get tossed over the fence, etc.

Hope the man has a lick of sense and never comes back.

EDIT... also, very cute furbabies.
    Last edited by Miranda; 07-25-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Ear scritchies and cookies tonight for all the dogies.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

good dogs!! That has to be some measure of comfort to know your dogs will protect you if need be. Most dogs would be a deterrent with their barks, but not all would back it up if it came right down to it.
    What was with the pink camera? Too bed you couldn't hear what he said, but I know how that is. Multiple dogs barking easily blocks out human voices
    vickie

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    Most dogs would be a deterrent with their barks, but not all would back it up if it came right down to it.
    I'm pretty sure my Cocoa's one of those who's more bark than bite. Then again, we've never been in a situation to test that theory, so who knows? And anyway, most people have sense enough not to challenge a large, barking, snarling, teeth-baring dog. On the other hand, most people have sense enough to ASK before taking pix of a stranger's house for whatever reason.

I'm with the majority here, Zen--you did the right thing and your wonderful doggies "done good." *virtual head-pats for wonderful doggies*
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I'm pretty sure Mae would defend me if needed, as I'm sure if the situation arose she'd have more bite than bark.

Fortunately when (and there's been a few) someone was a d@mn fool enough to approach a woman (me) walking a 55 or so lb dog who if you look closely obviously has some pit somewhere in her mutt'igree in either a hostile or suspicious manner Mae has known that's the time for her to be extremely well behaved as we just calmly leave.

'cause no, Bad Ju Ju, most people got no sense ;-)
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I have had legitimate reasons to walk on to another person's property, take pictures of everything, and leave without knocking. I was a private contractor for a repo business, and companies who have interest in such things (lenders, mostly) usually have stipulations in the paperwork that allow this. These were mostly mobile homes. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone why I was there, unless I was speaking with the person who owed the money (violation of privacy). If there's a tenant, I could ask them if the knew where to reach the owner, and I should identify myself.

The county appraiser in my county takes pictures of my place every year. He doesn't knock.

If he had a legitimate reason to be there, of which you may not be aware, he may be back to get the needed proof that he was on the property so he can get paid. Who cares if his camera is pink? Anybody casing the place is not going to want to interact with the owner, I would think.

Karen

He may have had a legit reason to be there, but once he stepped onto the porch after being asked to leave, he was trespassing. End of story. He wants to go back in, he can get a warrant (or if it's a rental, get the landlord to give whatever notice they're required to in that jurisdiction).

And, I've looked in enough of DH's catalogs and accompanied him on enough camera shopping trips, if there was a professional or pro-sumer camera body that was pink, I'd have seen it. There ain't one.

I'm not sure what kind of neighborhood Zen lives in. I think it's suburban? - in which case an appraiser could take all the photos they need from the public street (they always do when they come by our Florida home). If they need to come onto private property to even see the house (as they do for our house in Ohio), then we come out of the house long before they'd have an opportunity to knock. It's always been okay with us for them to take their pictures, but they've always asked permission when we asked them their business, and if we had asked them to leave, they had better have done so.

And, LOTS of people casing the place interact with the owner, posing as a worker of some kind. Happens to us all the time, scruffy people without uniforms going house to house offering to "demonstrate" some window cleaning product that they have in an unmarked spray bottle, or something of that nature.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    an appraiser could take all the photos they need from the public street
    Very true.

I've had someone who looked like a sheriffs deputy knock on my door before (at night). i called the dispatch office to make sure before i opened the door .
    (They were looking for the delinquent who used to live in the apt upstairs)

as a woman who lives alone in a somewhat rural area, I trust no one.

As someone used to say "trust, but verify"

I had someone knock at the door, say he was UPS and demand that I come out to sign for a package. Dude, UPS employees don't wear dark blue track suits.

Good dog, Mae. He left.

BTW, took her to the vet today and she got a clean bill of health. The vet said I'm doing very well with her, she's even lost almost 5 lbs. She's still got those little "love handles" on her hips.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

as a woman who lives alone in a somewhat rural area, I trust no one.
    Agreed, Zen. I am so glad you have such a wonderful. brave dog!! (do you suppose my cats could do the same??? )
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Dude, UPS employees don't wear dark blue track suits.

Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    Agreed, Zen. I am so glad you have such a wonderful. brave dog!! (do you suppose my cats could do the same??? )
    Cats might work, but you have to throw them at the intruder

Cats might work, but you have to throw them at the intruder
    .... or their hairball
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Good puppies, treats all around

Now unless I missed something somewhere - some of the "legit" reasons that one might want to photo a house without the owner's knowledge - repo and sale - but I don't remember Zen ever mentioning that her home was for sale, or she was risking loosing it. Which begs the question to why the guy was there? As for admirers of architecture or gardening - they could ask for permission first. Seems to me the guy was up to no good. Or very lost.

Zen - did you dogs smile for his camera?
    Beth