Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking LONDON BIKEATHON - Leukaemia Research on 13 July 08

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, after whinging away on this site about this COPD I appear to have, I never imagined I would be riding in any charity ride.

After a nasty flare-up with this COPD, I was getting very down about everything, then I thought...........well, I won't say what I thought, anyway, I decided to push myself.

I read about somebody on here wearing one of the bracelets that O’Grady made for the tour team. Harden the f**k up...........well, I managed to get one direct from the States and it's working for me! My partner just took one look at me and walked away............

Currently only been able to ride one or two miles, then got up to 10 at the weekend. The ride is all around the city of London, all flat and only 26 miles, fingers crossed I should be able to do it, got another 2 months to train.

Also three years ago, a friend of mine lost her beautiful little girl to leukaemia at the age of twelve, I attended the funeral, suffice to say it was one of the most distressing days I can ever remember having.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement, I have had £700 sponsorship money, with another £100 or so on it's way.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be able to reach such a figure.

This is NOT a hint for any donations but I would like to share my page www.justgiving.com/rufforange

Clock
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 05-13-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Go Clock GO!!!

I sent you a pm, hope you are feeling better.

When I was in 6th grade I lost a classmate to Leukemia. It was the first time I had to deal with death like that. It's stayed with me all this time.
    Sigh...

Here's to finding a cure!!

Edit to add... Us girls in the states can donate as well. I wasn't sure since it was in pounds, but I tried it and it worked.
    Last edited by Running Mommy; 05-13-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    I sent you a pm, hope you are feeling better.

When I was in 6th grade I lost a classmate to Leukemia. It was the first time I had to deal with death like that. It's stayed with me all this time.
    Sigh...

Here's to finding a cure!!

Edit to add... Us girls in the states can donate as well. I wasn't sure since it was in pounds, but I tried it and it worked.
    Now why am I not surprised at you donating????

In the UK there is no government funding for Leukaemia Research, it is all down to sponsorship.

TODAY I HAVE RAISED MY TARGET TO £1500...........bit high but what the heck.

Thanks again Denise.

Hugs

Clock

www.justgiving.com/rufforange

Leukaemia Research
    Clock

Good luck! I know it can be surprising to see how many folks want to chip in, but I think that everyone has a cancer story, so everyone knows how important these causes are. I joked that my taxes last year had 3 or 4 different donations to the leukemia lymphoma association here. That foundation was quite instrumental in funding research for one of the blockbuster leukemia drugs that was approved in the US several years back.

And I appreciate your desire to challenge and improve your breathing. I spent Jan-May not being able to workout due to some asthma issues and then other complications. Totally bites! So good luck with that as well. You'll do great and you will find it is a really wonderful feeling knowing that your riding is for such a great cause!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    Good luck! I know it can be surprising to see how many folks want to chip in, but I think that everyone has a cancer story, so everyone knows how important these causes are. I joked that my taxes last year had 3 or 4 different donations to the leukemia lymphoma association here. That foundation was quite instrumental in funding research for one of the blockbuster leukemia drugs that was approved in the US several years back.

And I appreciate your desire to challenge and improve your breathing. I spent Jan-May not being able to workout due to some asthma issues and then other complications. Totally bites! So good luck with that as well. You'll do great and you will find it is a really wonderful feeling knowing that your riding is for such a great cause!
    Oh my, I so did not expect anybody to sponsor me, I am overwhelmed by your generosity, thank you so much.

Also, Snapdragen, many thanks indeed, again so unexpected! BTW I still have my lovely little figure that you sent me a long while ago, my Mountain Biker Joe Bender

It's kinda funny, I go on a couple of communities and the donations from these is fantastic, I never expected anything like it, especially from thousands of miles away from you guys!

In a way it is very special, I suppose because you all understand the passion with riding, regardless how many miles you do.

Cheers guys.....be happy!

Clock
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 05-14-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Clock

Talking

Hey, Michelem

Holy grail..................yet another donation?

Many, many thanks hun.

All I have to do now is ride my bike............

Clock
    Clock

Talking Excited............I think?

Well, it is countdown, Monday today and the big ride is Sunday!

The fundraising has gone so very well, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to get so much.

Fundraising target: £3,000.00 or $5963.69

My donations to date: £ 2,351.00 or $4673.54

plus Gift Aid plus supplement: £512.49 or $1018.78

So, there is life in the old dog yet, hopefully!

Friends have done the most amazing things, one friend has held 7 clothes parties and given me all the profits, another guy has given me different items to auction. AND the pennies are still rolling in.

Nope, this is not trying to get money out of anybody, good wishes and good luck is what I need...........

One thing I fear is large crowds, so the thought of 5000 bikes altogether, aaaaaaaaaargh!

For once I am pleased I was so positive with this COPD problem, it has driven me on to raise this money.

Clock
    Clock

5000 bikes is a bit intimidating. Are you sure you didn't tack an extra zero on there?

At any rate, that's a lot of people. The crowd will thin itself out. Just take your time and rest as needed.
    I know you'll do fine-you have to now!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    5000 bikes is a bit intimidating. Are you sure you didn't tack an extra zero on there?

At any rate, that's a lot of people. The crowd will thin itself out. Just take your time and rest as needed.
    I know you'll do fine-you have to now!
    Nope, in fact I think it is nearer 5500!

Not so sure about the crowd thinning out, the streets of London are narrow, was thinking of having blades on the hubs of my wheels like Sparticus.........then I could soon push my way to the front!

Thanks for the enouragement zen.

Clock
    Clock

Good luck and well wishes to you! The hardest part for me was the fundraising, and look how well you've done! Hope you have tons of fun and if you get a chance, post some photos when you're done.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by michelem View Post
    Good luck and well wishes to you! The hardest part for me was the fundraising, and look how well you've done! Hope you have tons of fun and if you get a chance, post some photos when you're done.
    Joking aside the fundraising has been extremely hard work, I think so far I have got about 140 sponsors and it's remembering to thank them all, then when people donate and put down their first name instead of their nick, that confuses the heck out of me.

Then there is a list for chasing people up and of course a list of "no-no's"!

It has been a lot of fun, another site I go on, somebody has given me three different items to auction and in total I got £250!

It has been an amazing experience, this is a one off, I have done sponsored rides before but not to this extent.

Hopefully I will have some pics to post after Sunday.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Clock
    Clock

Have fun Sally, I want a full report after you've finished!

I found just what you need, Sally

http://spinwurkz.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=161

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Cheers zen

Some Axle Spikes that kick some a*s!

Yup, just what I need!

Cheers Snap for the good wishes.

Typical, usual English weather, absolutely crap, been raining all week and looks like it might be the same for Sunday, oh well, I guess us Brits are use to it.

Clock
    Clock

Talking Feeling all jittery and excited........I think

Just about to set off to stay with friends in Essex which is just east of London for the big day tomorrow, then they will drop us off in Chelsea all ready for the ride.

No, I really don't have butterflies, I have decided I have bats in my tummy!

I can ride with pride tomorrow, as I have now raised £2600 or $5200, if I don't get a penny more, that's fine, as I am over the moon with what I have raised.

Can feel the adrenalin starting, can't wait to see all the other bikes, I expect there will be all sorts there!

Just want plenty of goods vibes sent over for tomorrow.......pretty please!

Thanks again for all the good wishes and PM's from people.

Clock........who seems to be ticking a bit too quickly at the moment!
    Clock