Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    On the other hand you might sustain more damage if you hit a pointy bar end shifter with your thigh in a crash.
    Sounds like the voice of experience?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Sounds like the voice of experience?
    Nah - I've only had down tube and STI equipped bikes, but I've seen what just hitting the regular end of the bar (and what hitting a handlebar that the end has fallen out of - not me thankfully - NEVER ride with out plugs in place!) can do to a person's leg... my imagination thinks about what something sticking out even further and possibly being pointy might do. At least the pointy end of the shifter is mobile, so the possibility of really skewering yourself would probably be remote??
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I need to get crashes out of the way (on dirt preferably) and just be done with it! What size tires do you typically run on your cyclocross bikes?

Realistically I'd rent a track bike. I know our velodrome rents them, they aren't too expensive to buy and I'm supposed to be having baby #2 sometime this winter anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by bboston88 View Post
    I need to get crashes out of the way (on dirt preferably) and just be done with it! What size tires do you typically run on your cyclocross bikes?

Realistically I'd rent a track bike. I know our velodrome rents them, they aren't too expensive to buy and I'm supposed to be having baby #2 sometime this winter anyway...
    I usually ride 700 x 30 or 700 x 32; I think there are 28s and some 34s too. So, this post is confusing to me. First off, yes, falling on dirt is better than falling on pavement, but just because you fall on dirt, does not get it out of the way. Don't care how long you have been riding, and especially if you are going to race, you are going to fall sometimes

So, B Boston, how do you do this "I'm supposed to be having baby #2 this winter", and race both cyclocross and track? You do know you have to train to race, right? So, if you are pregnant, you should not get your heart rate as high as you would need to race and/or train to race. Or, are you just sort of pregnant? Or, wishing to be pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    ... my imagination thinks about what something sticking out even further and possibly being pointy might do. At least the pointy end of the shifter is mobile, so the possibility of really skewering yourself would probably be remote??
    But it's not really that pointy and it has a built in hinge. Probably absorb some impact that a rigid bar doesn't. Rremember that things which are clamped on your bike tend to move in a crash and while other things break.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    I usually ride 700 x 30 or 700 x 32; I think there are 28s and some 34s too. So, this post is confusing to me. First off, yes, falling on dirt is better than falling on pavement, but just because you fall on dirt, does not get it out of the way. Don't care how long you have been riding, and especially if you are going to race, you are going to fall sometimes

So, B Boston, how do you do this "I'm supposed to be having baby #2 this winter", and race both cyclocross and track? You do know you have to train to race, right? So, if you are pregnant, you should not get your heart rate as high as you would need to race and/or train to race. Or, are you just sort of pregnant? Or, wishing to be pregnant?
    Sorry, I guess, for any confusion. My point was that I haven't crashed yet and given the choice between road and dirt, I'd rather crash on dirt. Not saying that wouldn't hurt or cause injury. That's my point in "getting it out of the way," I'm a crash virgin. I need to do the deed. So, that's that.

Second, thanks for the concern but I'm well aware of pregnancy precautions as I've already had a child (this would be #2). I should have said I'm probably going to be getting pregnant in winter/spring, not delivering! I'm also very well aware of needing to train to race, I'm already doing that and have done some road racing. Just for clarification in case anyone cares, I'm planning to train/ride/race up until I get pregnant. At that time I'll just ride in my recommended HR range...
    Last edited by bboston88; 07-31-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Ah, now I understand - I was a bit confused by that "Almost pregnant" type of reference!