Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stomach "flu" how long does it take to feel normal

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm not someone that gets sick alot and I hate being sick.

Last Monday my body was overtaken by some alien germ that well, kept me confined to the bathroom. I have never thrown up like that in my life.

So I feel better, not throwing up. There isn't really anything wrong with me, but it's taking so long to bounce back that I'm scratching my head. I could go to the doc but well...there isn't really anything wrong. I did have the big D today and people are saying it (the 'flu') doubles back on you, but it should be gone in 10 days.

Anyone else going through this? It was complete with fever, chills, headache and just well...feeling like crap. I rode on Monday a.m. and I was in bed by 6 p.m. I only rode 3 mtn bike miles and felt beat.

I know I should listen to my body, I am, but just feel a little odd not being able to commiserate with other people down for the count!

That's a long time for a stomach virus--usually I'm feeling back to normal within two or three days. Are you sure it wasn't food poisoning of some sort? My dentist got e. coli from raw spinich while bike touring last year and had to cut the tour short; he ended up being sick for about a week. And when my husband got food poisoning one time he was wiped out for days--I've never seen him so violently ill before.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sarah

+1 on the food poisoning thought. The only time that I've had the "stomach flu", it was most certainly food poisoning- raging fever, chained to the bathroom, the whole 9 yards. But it only lasted about 3-4 days for me The hardest part was staying hydrated.

Have you called your doc's office just for a quick opinion? Is it possible that you're continuing to eat something contaminated, hence the length of the illness? Just a couple of thoughts that occurred to me....

At any rate, I really do hope that you feel better soon!

I have had it twice in the last two years but it only lasted one day. Well the unpleasant part of throwing up. I didn't feel like eating for about 5 days, painful stomach cramps for 5 days and generally fatigued for about 7-10 days.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

To clarify: I'm not puking anymore but I literally have no desire to eat anything but mashed potatoes and top ramen (that is how I KNOW SOMETHING IS WRONG!).

I was thinking that it was food poisoning as well- I ate a Chili's a few days before but I'm ashamed to say I think I ate an old piece of salmon that had been in my fridge (already cooked). That is the only thing I could think of, it had been in there for 6 days, which is old to me.

I just had my nightly does of mashed potatoes. Of course, not losing much weight, have you seen the calories in ready made potatoes and top ramen?

I called the doctors office and I knew what they were going to say...there isn't much we can do-but come in anyway. The one nurse said if I get a fever again or get worse, then to go to the ER if they weren't in. But it sometimes 'takes a while'.

I had to laugh at the 'still eating contaminated food'. I threw everything out in my fridge. I had gone to a different grocery store (for you in Mass it was the Market Basket) because I wanted to see what it was like. Anything from the Market Basket went in the waste basket. I kept thinking maybe I was eating the same infected food over and over???

I did broaden my horizon today and drink chocolate soy milk.

I at least don't get the crazy sweating episodes. That was horrible.

The last time I got food poisoning way back in 1996 I didn't get this sick. Although I did go to the college infirmary right away because it was during midterms and I needed a note! It was from some bad chili fries. Ugh. I can't remember how long it took to bounce back...
    Last edited by TahoeDirtGirl; 07-17-2008 at 06:16 PM.

I almost never get sick. About a year ago, I had a norovirus. Definitely not food poisoning. I was sick off and on for almost 10 days--unheard of for me. And then it was gone and I was back to being fine.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I've not (thankfully) had anything hang around that long. After a "24 hour" bug, I'm generally back to full diet within 2 days, and full steam after 3.

Just wanted to say that sucks, and you have my sympathy...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I almost never get sick. About a year ago, I had a norovirus. Definitely not food poisoning. I was sick off and on for almost 10 days--unheard of for me. And then it was gone and I was back to being fine.

sALSA- That is what I had, just couldn't think of the name. I get sick but usually just siuns/chest stuff. This is a different animal, only thing to kill my appetite like that. I lived on Campell's chicken noodle and saltines for a week.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    sALSA- That is what I had, just couldn't think of the name. I get sick but usually just siuns/chest stuff. This is a different animal, only thing to kill my appetite like that. I lived on Campell's chicken noodle and saltines for a week.
    Yes, exactly. And, disgustingly enough, Gatorade, which the doc recommended to prevent dehydration. I hate that stuff. Anyway, it was a unique experience and I was really surprised it went on so long. But it does end. I say that because I started to get a little worried when it went on and on...
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

There's a nasty stomach virus going around where I am. It's literally taking people down for days. Over 100 people locally have been sick and some in the hospital. They thought it was food-related at first. The health dept has been here to hand out bleach wipes and hand sanitizer (I'm very much looking forward to the weekend and getting out of here!). Could be something similar for you? Apparently it's a really rough stomach 12-24 hour stomach bug.

Feel better!

Thanks bluebug. When I called my doctors office they said they hadn't 'heard' anything about it. A couple of people were in contact with me from NY actually a few weeks ago so I'm wondering if I got it from them!

I will probably call them again today and just ask again. Maybe by now enough infected people showed up. Yep, it was a 24 hour thing but it's left me feeling crappy for 10 days now

Oh how I miss my bike!

10 days is kinda long. I would be heading toward a stool sample pretty soon if I were you.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Update: Keep that hand sanitizer handy.

My friend's kid got sick the same day I did and it came back and hit him up again. So bad, he had to take the kid in and get an anti-nausea shot to get him to stop throwing up. The doctor said it was definately a virus going around and that it can take 3 days or three weeks to get rid of. Great. I called my doctor this a.m. and they finally have seen the FLOOD of patients coming in sick. I guess I was one of the first ones?!

I actually felt normal the past couple of days and rode a whopping 6.3 miles on the pavement this a.m. in 35 minutes. Oh what a lovely feeling! The only thing I noticed is that I got the clammy sweats which told me to slow down.

Wash them hands!
    Last edited by TahoeDirtGirl; 07-22-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: opps! wrote 3.6 miles in 35 min. that would be really sad

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDirtGirl View Post
    The doctor said it was definately a virus going around and that it can take 3 days or three weeks to get rid of.
    Thanks for this info! I got sick right after vacation (about a month ago) and only had the really bad part for about three or four days, then it seemed like every time I ate for the next three weeks I'd feel awful, nauseous and sweaty. Of course going to the doctor didn't occur to me.

Electra Townie 7D

They think it's the norovirus around here and camps are starting to shut down.

I keep washing my hands and bleaching down my office.

Glad you're feeling a little better TDG.