Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello... long time no see!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to drop in and say HI! Hope everyone is doing great and riding a lot!

I'm sorry that I can't say the same. I wasn't riding a ton (maybe once a week or so) and then in June I had a bad fall in Tae Kwon Do. Just found out last week that I tore my left ACL so I'll be having replacement surgery in September after the kids go back to school. Probably won't be riding again for 3 months or so... not sure how long the recovery is going to be.

Anyway, I'm having fun watching the Tour, in spite of all the epo drama and riding vicariously by reading about your rides!! Keep going strong, Ladies!!

Missing you,
    Shannon
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

good grief, you have not been very lucky! get well soon!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey, nice to 'see' you!
    Are you still singing?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heal quickly! Best of luck to you & keep us posted on your recovery.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Hi Shannon - long time no see! We need a South Bay TE get together someday, clearly!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Hi! Yes, a southbay TE get together would be great! I would love to see you all again.

I am still singing, thank you for asking, BSG. Our band is playing pretty often... we have a gig at a nice little wine bar on August 17th. If anyone local is interested I can get you the info!! I'm also still singing and leading worship at my church. It has been fun and a stretch for me to try something outside of my comfort zone.

It looks like SK moved to Oregon... am I right? Wow... all the #*$% that happens when you don't log on for a while!!

I promise to check in more often!
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

Hi slinke! I was just wondering about you last weekend, when the Livestrong Challenge was going on. Guess neither one of us made it! Maybe next year.......

howdy

Hey! Howdy!

Long time no see..Take care of yourself and you'll be back on your bike . I understand what it's like to be off the bike for a while and it's oh so wonderful to get back into it!

Tae Kwon Do hey, sounds cool!

C

Hey there! Good to see you!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Grrl, that takes skill and talent. You're not supposed to fall in TKD. You're supposed to kick people and THEY fall over.

You sure you're not doing Aikido? We fall over all the time

Seriously, that's how I hurt my ACL, and meniscus, and .... and rather than do surgery the orthopedic doc I saw (he's the surgeon for both the 9'ers and Raiders) said strengthen my legs. He said ride a bike and avoid the knife. And now here we are Think long and hard before surgery.

Good to see you back.
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-17-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Sending lots of healing butterflies, SD. Let yourself heal and don't be a stranger!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

slink - cycling is one of the BEST ways to recuperate your leg strength after ACL surg. In fact, your PT will demand it early and often! It will probably hurt a bit at first... I would highly recommend you jump on that stationary bike when comfortable to do so because your quad will atrophy a lot in just a short time.

The surgery is daunting but it really is much better than most make it out to be. I tore mine via TKD originally too (and re-injured stupidly a few years later, but #2 one's held up awesome and I am in better overall fitness now than I was while doing TKD). Don't hesitate to ask questions of your care professionals and find out what they think. And feel free to PM me or ask others here, think several of us have had the surgery.

Good luck with everything, and welcome to the re-engineered

Thanks for the advice, Trek and tygab. Right now I'm in a fair amount of discomfort and would like to get back to doing TKD and being able to run around the soccer field with my kids and all that. My doctor did say I could live with it and strengthen other muscles and all that, but when I told him the activities that I would like to be able to participate in (soccer, TKD, skiing, cycling) he suggested having my ACL replaced. He said I can ride until the cows come home with no intact ACL, but the other stuff would be more dicey and I could do further damage to my knee. So I'm torn. (pun intended. )

As far as the injury, I was doing a flying side kick and landed badly... my knee went sideways. Not fun.

Thanks for all of your support and advice. I still have almost 2 months before the surgery to weigh my options.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkedog View Post
    Just wanted to drop in and say HI! Hope everyone is doing great and riding a lot!

I'm sorry that I can't say the same. I wasn't riding a ton (maybe once a week or so) and then in June I had a bad fall in Tae Kwon Do. Just found out last week that I tore my left ACL so I'll be having replacement surgery in September after the kids go back to school. Probably won't be riding again for 3 months or so... not sure how long the recovery is going to be.

Anyway, I'm having fun watching the Tour, in spite of all the epo drama and riding vicariously by reading about your rides!! Keep going strong, Ladies!!

Missing you,
    Shannon
    Hey slinke great to see you back at TE.
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you have a speedy recovery after your surgery.
    Make sure you post and let us know how you are getting on.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by slinkedog View Post
    As far as the injury, I was doing a flying side kick and landed badly... my knee went sideways. Not fun.
    Flying side kick? Why even bother, opponent has a half hour to wait there and be impressed by the skill and utter beauty of the move as you fly through the air with the greatest of .... and I simply step to the side and watch you land.

Lovely move. Wish I could do it, I can't jump at all anymore.

I'm just sayin' we like to keep our feet on the ground in Aikido, so we can run away or simply not be quite where you wanted us to be when you land. behind you maybe. Whah?

I tore my ACL throwing someone. He was supposed to fly way over there, he went the same distance but straight up .... then straight down on my knee.

Would have been ok still if my stance had been correct.

Your foot must be aligned with your knee always. You probably landed toed in or out, it's not strong enough for any move. .

I still train even with torn ACL, blown meniscus (both on both knees) and arth from the neck down. I do the strengthening, and on the mat I wear a knee brace.

That's not so much because I need one but it's preventative. I can't tear the knee again because there's no surgical option for me. My sensei knows, for example I'm not doin' high falls, I take the same falls just roll out.

Your teacher should be willing to work with injury.

If you decide to do the surgery that's ok

But I'd hit the weights, stretching, conditioning the area, and ride of course. In the dojo focus on your stances. They must be perfect in every part of every technique. Do tons of kata in front of the mirror and focus on stances.

Aikido is a full contact sport, the contact is with the ground And the falls are hard. Most at my rank or higher have arth at least, and we train. Martial Arts is a lifetime of learning so take care of your body 'cause you'll be at it for a while. I assume I'll still be training in my 80's should be lucky enough to live with good health that long. So think long term not quick fix and back on the mat.

Trek-humble-Nidan-420
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-19-2008 at 08:22 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/