Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Hit and run" posters / trolls

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've noticed we had a lot of new people here lately, posting very basic questions, usually "help me buy a bike" or "help me lose weight by cycling" type things.

There's no way of telling if they were genuine and satisfied by the responses, but generally if someone does not come back after a post or two, "hit and run" can be suspected.

Too bad for any genuines, I don't think I'll freely give out advice to a first time poster anymore. Potential waste of time and pixels.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've noticed that, too. I think the best thing to do is to respond with questions (what kind of riding do you do, etc.) and a nice prod to do an introduction before jumping right into responses. If they bite, then I'll take some time chat. If not, no loss.

Maybe some people aren't savvy about forum ettiquette? That might be me, because I don't know what "hit and run" means, other than it happened to me once while I was running.

Also, maybe if they hadn't had a chance to test out the advice they've been given? I've been advised on a solution for the hotfoot and numbness, but haven't had the money to make a change in shoes yet, thereby not getting back to the people that gave me the advice.

Or maybe they're not the type of people to join an online community, but just want an answer to a question?

Why do they have to be a frequent poster to rate a response to a question you have?

I mean, trolls are one thing, but a simple question... I dunno, what's it gonna hurt to respond to someone's question, if they respond back or not?

A thanks would suffice. It's not about the courtesy, just to show you're real.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

I agree with AR. Just a simple thank you would suffice.

If the OP went through all the effort to post the question in the first place, then surely she can take a moment to acknowledge others' efforts at replying.

Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when a mother frantically posted to the board begging for advice about what to do for her young daughter who just started her period the night before a cycling race. She received many helpful, supportive, well-thought out replies, and she never acknowledged a one.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I've learned that I should be more careful in the buy and sell forum and only sell to established TE'ers. Had a recent negative experience

Well, I'm new and I promise I'm for real I just havent done my introduce yourself thing yet... maybe I should. But I haven't had any questions yet, I've pretty much been reading other peoples question threads because I pretty much have the same questions that have already been answered

Hmm. I am new also. I did a brief intro in my first post, but is that considerred proper etiquette? Should every new member do a new thread to introduce herself? Also, what are trolls?

Bluevet and Iris-

I'd venture a guess that you two are not what this thread is about

Folks show up and post one question on which an encyclopedia could be written and then never come back. We'll spend lots of time answering the question - only to now know if it was even read.

Trolls (as I understand it) show up and post a provocative question that they know will generate many, strongly opinionated replies. They are also, sometimes, guys posing as women (note - we have a few male members who are welcomed and who act entirely appropriately - these are not the same guys). For example, someone posted about her BF wearing her biking shorts. WFT?

And NO - you don't need to do a new thread to introduce yourself. Best etiquette (as I understand it) is to post over on the "getting to know you" thread. Not required, though. Just tell us something about yourself when you post. ETA - Bluevet - I just saw your post Pleased to meet you

Here's hoping you two (and all other legit newbies) hang around. We rarely bite And there are LOTS of cool folks here

CA
    Last edited by Blueberry; 07-17-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm new too... and genuine.

Sometimes in reading other discussion boards I am intimidated to respond or add anything because everyone seems like they know each other and that it is a closed off community (yet public on the internet). Some other blogs/boards (not this one) have a very rude attitude towards "trolls" (those that read or post w/o being a daily contributor) and constantly tell others not to "feed the trolls". Personally I find that offputting. At least you all seem to be welcoming for the most part.

Everyone was new at some point, right?

Yes, we were all new once IMO Usually you only get labeled a troll 'round here if you post something really controversial. And this board has wrongly labeled folks before. If you ask a question and respond to further queries/suggestions, you're not likely to be labeled as such.

As with any board, we disagree. Sometimes strongly. Sometimes we get off on topics that we shouldn't and have to be prodded by the moderators back to where we belong. But, overall, we're a good group. I've met folks here that I count as friends (we've gone on to meet in real life). The more open the communication lines, the better IMO
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Paradox, no, no, a Troll is not the typical new poster; it's someone who says something like "I really get turned on while riding my bike, are you gals like that too?"

Trolls are lewd , obnoxious, or ridiculous. Or all of the above. What usually happens when a troll posts is someone reports them, and the administrator usually deletes the post or thread. So that's how you know we don't think YOU are a troll.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Well you can first lurk & search for the info you need. If you can't find what you're looking for, you might ask your question. Can't be that hard - if you can't write it on the internet, how do you interact with real people?

It's not like you would be tarred and feathered - helps if you phrase it well instEd ov acting like a 16 yr old & showeing u're ignoranse.

There's a difference between a stupid question that has been answered a 100 times and would have been found using the search function (annoying to longtimers), simple ignorance because you are new (excusable), and trolling or flamebaiting. And then there's this new phenomenon that I am concerned about.

AS SOON as the post count goes beyond 1,2, or 3, you're much more welcome