Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

In the interest of LBS not me

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I thought I had ended my search but I hit an obstacle. I'm short. My stand over length is 29 inches. From what I can tell, Specialized women's frames/bikes seem to have the lowest option for me.

My local specialized dealer was more interested in selling down his stock than helping me order another model that might be better suited for my needs.
    For this reason I am turning elsewhere for answers:

Shimano derailleurs: Is Deore worth the x-tra money over Altus & Alivio.
    Does anybody ride Specialized bike? Any ladies out there? Any opinions, as usual, are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Yes, the upgrade is worth it.
    and RUN from any shop that won't make sure you are on the right bike! RUN FAST SCREAMING so that onlookers know the shop is to be steered clear of... sorry, a bit much there
    BUT.....
    As a lbs owner myself, the first thing I do for women is to measure em up, plunk the data into the computer, and THEN start looking for a bike for them.
    Our manager/fit guru also gets in, because the new frame geometrys can skew things a bit. But fit is KEY! Numero UNO!!!
    Bit of a story here... Happens to be a the local specialized shop too.. hmmm.. you aren't from phoenix are you??
    Anyway, a very petite lady in my tri club comes in right after we open. She had won an auction at the aforementioned shop, and had 500.00 credit. She had plans to upgrade to a road bike.
    Said shop owner measures her up and declares she's a 48. HA! This women is as short as ME and I'm a 44-46!!!
    I measure her up and sure enough, she looks to be a 44- 46.
    She goes ahead with the sale at the other shop, and has been miserable ever since. She has come in twice now with fit problems. Problems we can do nothing about because the frame is simply too big.
    To be honest it's a burr in my side because she came to us for advice early on, went against it, and now wants us to fix it. But I digress.
    So anyway, as said. RUN to another shop. Insist that they fit you. Not a look up and down and stand over the bike, but that they take measurements. If they aren't that kind of shop, thank them and be on your way.

As for specialized the bike... Nice bikes, beautiful bikes, but I'd never ride one again. It's just a personal thing.

I'm short too...5'2" with a 28.5-29.0 inseam (they didn't call me stumpy in HS for nothing).

I have a Specialized road bike that doesn't fit me, I won't buy Specialized again...like Running Mommy it's just a personal preference. I don't like them for smaller folks, I just don't think they fit well but that's just me. I'm sure there are pleanty of shorter folks out there that it works for them.

For mountain bikes I used to have a Fisher Cake 3 XS women's that I loved and now I have a Santa Cruz Juliana in XS...both 13" and they fit me like a glove.

A couple weekends ago before I got my Santa Cruz I had rented a mountain bike to use which was fine. What wasn't fine was the fact that the rear derail. snapped off while I was peddling without me doing anything. It was a Shimano Alivio.

I'm a big advocate of: "You get what you pay for". I would pay the money to upgrade to at least Deore.

I'm a big fan of specialized because of their suspension design and customer service! My first MTB was a specialized Rockhopper - it fit me great - size 15.5 (you don't see that size many places although it's all relative to the mgfr).

So a big YES to Specialized if they fit you and you can find an LBS you like and a big YES to Deore over Alivio (but given the choice I'd go SRAM!).

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Lotta smaller ones here riding the Titus Racer X. Comes in XX small!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Lotta smaller ones here riding the Titus Racer X. Comes in XX small!
    BIG price difference between the two!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerChk View Post
    BIG price difference between the two!
    She didn't say price was an option, only that being short was the issue.

Emily got a used Racer X for less than a new FSR costs. They are out there.

I also have a Juliana in xs and it fits me very well.
    I'll be selling it soon to go to a Giant Anthem Womens in xs, because I think the anthem is a better climber, but I did like Jules because she fit me so well.

As for specialized, it's not the bikes I have issues with. Its the company. This is from an industry standpoint though, and really has nothing to do with the quality of the bikes they build.

I had (recently sold) a specialized road bike from years past. It was a nice bike. But I've never had a fs mtn bike from them. Just an old cheap hardtail back in the day.

I don't post very often so most probably don't know me but I am curious to hear more about the issues with Specialized as a company. Personally, I love my 10-year old hardtail and the fit and ride on my Dolce has been excellent. The shifting on the Dolce seems to be having problems universally though. I got mine finally fixed but I keep seeing others with the same problems. Now that my Dolce is shifting right I absolutely love it!! Interestingly, there are very few shops around my area that will sell Specialized so I am starting to wonder why.

2009 Rockhopper disc

Thanks for all the input.
    I did visit another bike shop this weekend (out of town) and decided to order/wait for the 2009 Rockhopper Disc (men's top tube is a better fit for me) in a 13 in. frame.
    I completely love this shop. The guy who helped me really knew his stuff. I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to talk to him. I do feel confident about my choice.
    The 2009 Rockhoppers come with SRAM instead of Shimano. I was able to ride a 2009 Myka with a lower end SRAM. There was a difference.
    I'm very excited, I should have it in about 3 wks. I chose the obnoxious yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by lilred View Post
    Thanks for all the input.
    I did visit another bike shop this weekend (out of town) and decided to order/wait for the 2009 Rockhopper Disc (men's top tube is a better fit for me) in a 13 in. frame.
    I completely love this shop. The guy who helped me really knew his stuff. I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to talk to him. I do feel confident about my choice.
    The 2009 Rockhoppers come with SRAM instead of Shimano. I was able to ride a 2009 Myka with a lower end SRAM. There was a difference.
    I'm very excited, I should have it in about 3 wks. I chose the obnoxious yellow.
    AWESOME!!