Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Changing Cassette

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am getting brave..... My husband gave me his Mavic Crossmax wheels for my mountain bike, I need to take off the 9-speed cassette since my bike is 8-speed. I read it was easy as can be, but what tool do I need? I couldn't figure it out based on the article. It is really that easy? I am eager to learn just scared to do it!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

You just need the right tool. It's probably that Shimano splined cassette remover. You can buy one, but you could probably just take it to the bike shop and either borrow the tool or have them swap it. My bike shops are far away, so I'd probably order the tool.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I am getting brave..... My husband gave me his Mavic Crossmax wheels for my mountain bike, I need to take off the 9-speed cassette since my bike is 8-speed. I read it was easy as can be, but what tool do I need? I couldn't figure it out based on the article. It is really that easy? I am eager to learn just scared to do it!
    You'll need the appropriate cassette lockring remover, and a big crescent wrench (10" or 12") to turn it with, and a chain whip to hold the cassette. If you've got two chain whips, the Park tool has the wrench socket on one end to turn the lockring remover.

Tom

It's pretty easy -- fun actually, especially if they all come apart. It's a jigsaw puzzle putting it all back together, but just that easy and fun. Cassette tool in lockring, chainwhip to keep the cassette from spinning, and a wrench to loosen it. Loosen the lockring all the way, and try to life the rings all together. Put the new one on, making sure the spacers are all in the right place and it's all nested together. Tighten, and off you go!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

... and zip ties are your friend! I lifted the cassette off as a unit (it should slide right on offa there), and quickly ran a long zip tie thru the middle to make sure all the rings stayed in the order they were supposed to go back on...