Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Evolving from a commuter to a distance rider

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been commuting for a couple years now. I told my partner I wanted to do a 100 for my 50th birthday (January) and she said, "time for a new bike." I'm not much for new and would rather get a great deal on a used bike. The budget is $1,500. I'm 5'3", what size should I be looking for?

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks. I had found the Estrogen site, but not the other. Any thoughts on used over new or vice versa?

Sizewise, I imagine you're in the ballpark of a 48-49cm road bike. Someone just posted a 51cm Ruby for sale, but I think that will be too bike.

In one sense, you will get more bang for your buck with a used bike. But your overall best deal might be to look for end of the year deals or last year's models at your local shop. Thing is, if the handlebars are too wide or the stem's not right, your shop will do things like swap stuff out for you. They should do this for no or minimal cost, assuming you're not doing a component upgrade. With a used bike, you can't do that. Well, you can, but it's going to cost you.

Your shop will also do things like give you free tune-ups for a year or so. After you buy a bike from them, you can pop in and get your derailleur adjusted on the spot. Or leave the bike to get a total tune-up. No free tune-ups for a used bike.

Yet another issue is the bike's warranty. Not gonna get one with a used bike. AFAIK, no bike manufacturer allows warranties to be transferred.

With your budget, you should be able to get a nicely spec'd bike.

Really good points. I'm new to this site and new to online discussion groups generally, so please excuse my ignorance, but I didn't see a bike for sale. Is there a specific place where bikes are posted for sale???

At the top of this thread, click on Women's Cycling Discussion Forums. Then scroll down and you'll see "For Sale/Wanted." That's where most people post items.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

BEcause of fit issues I would want to get a bike for *me.* I'm not hard to fit - but if I get a bike fitted to somebody else it's not fitted to me.

Welp, I am also a mechanical moron. I ride a really lot but I don't think I could if i didn't have a relationship with a bike shop.