Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Getting ready

Getting ready

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know there are lots of threads here and elsewhere about building mileage to do a metric or regular century, but I've looked a bit and I'm lazy.

When I do 25-30 mile group rides we pretty much go start to finish with maybe only one brief rest stop. And when we finish, I'm pretty much pooped on some days, perhaps a few miles left in me on others.
    When I'm out on my own, taking more frequent breaks, this amount of mileage is a breeze.

So my question is...are all charity rides different is there a fairly consistently spaced series of rest stops for drinks, potty, etc.? How will I know when I'm ready to try a 50-mile or metric century? Thanks!

I don't know about all charity rides since the length and number of days can be different. I'm guessing the multi-day rides have breaks fairly far apart because they cover so much ground day after day.

Generally, all 1-day organized century rides will have various lengths as you know, half metric, metric, 100m, etc. and the rest stops are about 15-20 miles apart. This varies based on available of parks, schools, or whatever that can provide the facility. I'd say more than 20 is vary rare.

I'm guessing that the 30 mile training rides are at a faster pace than you do when you are riding alone. This is a good thing. Mixing up your pace, doing intervals, etc. is a great way to train. Try upping your mileage (maybe try 40) at your pace not the training group's. I'd bet that if you ride at an easy comfortable pace and take breaks, you could actually do a 50m ride now, you'd just be tired. Adrenaline and determination really come into play on the big day. Pick one that has similar terrain to what you already ride and go for it! We're behind you -- just visualize us collectively pushing you along!

Thanks SK

That's sort of what I was thinking. I do push harder when I'm in a group and I bet if the route wasn't terribly hilly I could make 50 (which is my next goal) and then 100 (I hope by November. There's a century in Georgia that's supposed to be fairly flat and beginner friendly that month.)

Thanks for the encouragement!