Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seagull Century

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post
    I'm planning to do the Metric Century in the Seagull--I didn't see anything about fund raising though? Is that required?
    No fundraising required.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

no, Seagull century does not require you to fundraise (although you can donate to the high school and habitat for humanity). I am riding for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and then fundraising is required.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Ok, thought I had missed something. I'm doing the Annual Between the Waters Bike Tour in Oct., too in Wachapreague, VA. Y'all might be interested in that one.

http://www.cbes.org/events_biketour.asp

Between the Waters

Oh I've wanted to do Between the Waters for a couple of years - maybe this year will be the one.

I will likely do either the Seagull or Between the Waters but I will have to be away for about 10 days in October. Only problem is, I don't know which 10 days it is just yet - so can't sign up for anything yet.

Squirrell, that sounds like a great ride. I like the oyster bake afterwards too! I will have to wait and see what is going on for me at the end of October.

The Between the Waters Ride is a nice one--I ride the same roads every day and they go through some beautiful areas of the Shore. Not sure what they're exact route will be this year, as I haven't registered yet, but the guy told me it will very likely be close it not the same as last year's route. I wasn't riding then (didn't start until April) but the marks are still on the road, so I know where they went last year.

Cool 1st time Centruy to be at Seagull in Oct. Help!!

Hi all. Newbie to biking and century riding. Can you give me some information on what to expect on the seagull? Wind? Hills? roads? What do I carry? (besides the bike repair stuff). Suppliments? Usual weather conditions (I see a lot of rain issues--)? What to wear?

Thanks for any assistance. I am new and nervous. You can e-mail me privately if you wish or I will check back here.

rodeoz@aol.com

Thanks

Sea Gull Century

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    Hi all. Newbie to biking and century riding. Can you give me some information on what to expect on the seagull? Wind? Hills? roads? What do I carry? (besides the bike repair stuff). Suppliments? Usual weather conditions (I see a lot of rain issues--)? What to wear?

Thanks for any assistance. I am new and nervous. You can e-mail me privately if you wish or I will check back here.

rodeoz@aol.com

Thanks
    http://www.seagullcentury.org/

That's a lot of questions and it doesn't look like anyone has answered them.
    Today is last day to register for $55. Tomorrow the price goes up.
    I registered today and got #4933 - so safe to assume over 5000 riders - maybe as much as 7000 if weather is good.

Roads are flat, lightly traveled, rural/coastal (for the 100 milers) for the most part. Expect long stretches of headwinds.

Rest stops every 20-25 miles - well stocked. If you need something more maybe carry a couple bars and gels or blocks. And of course water.

What to wear? depends on the weather. Last year I started with a jacket, arm/knee warmers but took them all off eventually. So you should figure out how you will carry anything that you may eventually remove during the ride.

Hope this helps
    Martha

Sea Gull - Kayaking?

Any interest in kayaking on Sunday after the Sea Gull? There are quite a few places within 1/2 hour or so of Salisbury, or on the way back to the DC area.

Martha

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Any interest in kayaking on Sunday after the Sea Gull? There are quite a few places within 1/2 hour or so of Salisbury, or on the way back to the DC area.

Martha
    I think I answered some of Jeanne's questions in her other thread: Seagull Century Help.

As for kayaking...I'd love to, but I don't think I can convince the DH to stay another evening. We're spending friday night up in Cambridge (the nearest hotel we could get! ) to lessen the drive-time Saturday a.m. But, we won't be staying a second night. Usually, we would do a 2-night weekend get-away with the Seagull, but (sigh) not this year, I guess.

So who is heading out to the fin Maryland coast this weekend?

DH and I will be heading out Friday evening.
    We'll start with our group at 8 on Saturday a.m.
    I suspect we'll need arm and knee warmers to start, but it looks like it should be a fine day!

Are you going?

Yep, I'll be there. So far the weather forecast looks good - sunny, and no wind. But today is only Monday and a lot can happen between now and Saturday.... So who is the patron saint of cycling to whom we can direct our request for no wind?

I'm riding the metric. Will wear my AV jersey, but it will likely be covered up with a yellow jacket for at least the morning which looks like it will be chilly.

I am so ready to ride!

Have a great ride, everyone!