Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

More Saddle Help Needed!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I read a number of the saddle threads and none quite related to my issue.

I ride a tri-bike and experience bruising in my "pelvic arch". That is the best way I think I can describe the area - it is not my butt and not my front. I don't experience typical chafing or other irritations. It can truly only be described as bruising between my thighs where typical underwear seams are. I don't wear underwear when riding, I am just using that as a way to explain where the bruising is

I currently have a Profile Design Tri CroMoly saddle. Despite not being a women's saddle, it was great in the first season. In the second season, I had a baby and experienced bruising but didn't make much of it because, well ... I had a baby two months earlier and expected things to be tender down there. This year, things are no better so I suspect that having a baby may have changed me forever down there and as a result, the saddle that was good is no more.

Any suggestions on other saddles to look at? I don't think the addage of measuring sit bones applies as much because 90% of the time, I am in aero position.

Again, sorry for yet another post on saddles but I the others don't appear to answer my questions. Your help and suggestions are always appreciated.

Selle SMP? I ride aero on mine, though not 90% but the dropped nose might be something for you.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

More Saddle Help Needed - Me too!

It sounds like I have the very same problem. It was a problem on my tour last summer. I thought I was healed up. This year it is back with a vengence. I was riding a Brooks B67 women's version which was good for my sitting bones but I had the problem right where my legs meet my butt. I thought it was just too wide there so I tried narrower saddles and after some trial and error I ended up with a Selle Italia which feels pretty comfortable - wide enough to support my sit bones but gets narrow very quickly. But when I started riding long hard days in extreme heat and head winds, I got sore and then skin breakdown with an actual small crater on the left side (my original sore spot) and breakdown to a lesser degree on the right.
    I have tried all the advice I can find. I have changed height and tilt and fore and aft of my saddle, one adjustment at a time. I have used lubes, cornstarch powder, antibacterials, cortisone cream. I have changed my shorts 3 times a day. I wear clean shorts daily. i try to lift my butt off the saddle for a few seconds.
    I am going to try lowering my handlebars. I have them pretty high because my arms, shoulders and back feel better with the bars a little higher. I may need to find the balance between weight on my arms and weight on my butt.
    I am looking for the ultimate shorts/pad.
    I ride a TREK 520 touring bike.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!