Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris616 View Post
    Mimi-Is there an update on the victim?

He died tonight, Iris. Sorry to have to post that.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that.

It's completely senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    This makes me ill. It sounds like the man shouldn't have sprayed the girls with the hose but in no way should he have been beaten to death.

My mother had a co-workers father beaten to death after rear ending someone on IH-35 here. It wasn't even large damage, the cars were driveable. Senseless.

For me all these articles are relevant in raising our awareness of the possibility of others actions. I am not scared of the world but I am aware that people seem to be less understanding of one another than I expect them to be.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    It does re-emphasize the need to stay cool when we are confronted by angry motorists.
    Poor man. And I bet those women feel pretty badly, they certainly never would have intended that outcome. Let's hope they catch the man who knocked the old man out.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well now its a homocide. The police better catch the perp. and throw him in jail. Just too much anger and not enough self control.

Our society has gotten so car-centric that crimes commited in a car or car related, the perp. gets away with lot less severeity than with a gun for instance. Run over a pedestrian and kill the person deliverately versus killing a person with a gun. Result for the victim is the same. Yet, the way we treat the driver and the guman is very different. The way its reported, the way the justice system handle the person... Do you think the driver will be in shackles when he goes for arraignment with officers on both side or will he show up without the shackles? And what about the gunman. I think you can see the difference.

The gardner incident here and the Mandeville Canyon incident just highlights the road rage and how dangerous it really is out there. Many of the drivers feel like they have license to cause bodily injury onto others.

We just need to be more mindful and be careful in dealing with angry drivers.

smilingcat

I was reading the updates on Seattle Post Intelligencer's website during my lunch (things could have changed by now, as more info comes up). The man was watering the plants in the traffic circle at 7:45 p.m. Since it is in a residential neighborhood, and well after rush-hour and dinner-time, there wasn't much traffic. But he had put cones up along his hose out to the garden. The girls in the car didn't want to go around the left side of the garden, they got out and started yelling at him to move the cones. When the girls started moving the cones he squirted them. One of the girls called a friend to come to them and the girls stayed to watch. The friend arrived, punched the older man, then left. The police had already been called by a neighbor before the older man was punched. None of the girls would tell police the friend's name, but his phone number will be in the cell phone record.

The whole situation is just sad.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-11-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Very sad

You know, I was out running today and I was looking at the roundabouts and also at our neighborhood. I thought a lot about this story and was very sad because he was someone who was obviously trying to make where he lived a better place. It sounds like he did the right thing by putting up cones and really, any inconvenience to motorists would be a temporary one.

Very sad. They'll get the guy, I am sure of it. For the fact that the girls acted in such hostility really scares me. I could be wrong but it seems like there is more and more violence starting at a much younger age.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi...&date=20080717

he's in police custody now...link to article in today's Seattle Times here...doesn't look like this is the first time he's been involved in an incident like this either. This time he took a person's life though - the man was watering the flowers in his neighborhood roundabout, f'chrissakes! How awful it is to think that you can't go out near your own home, put up traffic cones and protect passersby from the spray of your hose, even - without worrying about being sucker-punched and dying??? It's grossly inhumane to me; not just another 'accidental' death, you know? whew...

This makes me terribly, indescribably sad.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Poor man. And I bet those women feel pretty badly, they certainly never would have intended that outcome. Let's hope they catch the man who knocked the old man out.
    If those young ladies had the maturity to just stay in their car and just deal with the traffic, they would have been on their way a lot sooner. The young man should have left him alone as well. As for the older man spraying the girls w/ the waterhose (they probably deserved it) and who hasn't thought of doing that to someone who is just being irrational(even though it isn't right- I know). I'm sorry he died. If they catch the young man who hit him, he'll have to serve time and he'll cool his heels behind bars and have a long time to think. The impatient young ladies(since one of them/the driver-she talked to police) should have to do community service watering flowers and helping keep up the grounds in the city. Teach them some lessons in patience. Regardless of the traffic problem at the moment or why it's there, is no reason to hurt someone. Just my two cents. Jenn

they did catch him. he turned himself in to his minister, with his family. he had been trying to turn his life around. His girlfriend was one of those three girls and she called him to come help, so boy; he did. He wasn't set out to murder someone. But he lost his temper again and lost his freedom again. And another human being died.

Some people never learn.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaduacentury View Post
    If those young ladies had the maturity to just stay in their car and just deal with the traffic, they would have been on their way a lot sooner. The young man should have left him alone as well. As for the older man spraying the girls w/ the waterhose (they probably deserved it) and who hasn't thought of doing that to someone who is just being irrational(even though it isn't right- I know). I'm sorry he died. If they catch the young man who hit him, he'll have to serve time and he'll cool his heels behind bars and have a long time to think. The impatient young ladies(since one of them/the driver-she talked to police) should have to do community service watering flowers and helping keep up the grounds in the city. Teach them some lessons in patience. Regardless of the traffic problem at the moment or why it's there, is no reason to hurt someone. Just my two cents. Jenn
    right, and I posted the link to the newspaper article a bit earlier this afternoon, so you can read about him turning himself in...
    +1 to what Mimi said...and I'd also say that those "young ladies" as you termed them, acted anything but ladylike and were lots more than impatient...how about rude and confrontational for starters?
    The article cites the police and/or witnesses statements that the (now dead) victim did not provoke their tirade or violence against him and he did not strike back...just disgusting, the whole thing...really, really sickening how some people act towards others and somehow want help in explaining it away...sheesh!

The whole thing is really sad. I really hope they throw the book on the attacker. I could care less about his skin color.

Assailant's action is just so hypocritical. A GOOD CHURCH MEMBER. IN PRAYER before surrendering to the police. What?? If you have the good conscious to be praying and believe in god/religion, you should have a lot more respect to others.

Maybe I'm just really old fashioned in many ways. I dress properly for the office. None of this tank tops/shorts/skorts/athletic wear... Almost always in business appropriate attaire. then again I have to be. Every e-mail starts with proper salutation Dear Sir, Dear Madam, Dear Ms./Mr./Dr. so-and-so. And out on the town same sort of thing...

Here I tend to be very casual, still. Its on very rare occasion you will hear me use profanity or raise my voice. I have no need.

The girls who started the altercation and increased the level of hostility should also be arrested. You just can't go along in life screaming and demeaning other people. Just so self centered.

I wish our country had a mandatory community service for all young people. Help clean the park. Help out the elderly. help out the handicap. And learn about why it is so important to be active in your community in a positive way.

AWWWGGG!!! this is just so maddening.

Thank you with the followup. I would like to have closure on this story. What will he be sentenced with? in-voluntary manslaughter, murder 2... and what will happen to the girls? Can't they be prosecuted with something? anything??

I just can't fathom this cruel twist of fate on the victim.
    Smilingcat

PS. my house is on a corner with one street being a narrow one way street. One self centered service guy parked his service truck right in the middle of the road to service one of my neighbor's cable TV. A car came down saw that the street was blocked. She could have made a right on front of my house and detoured down the next street. No. She drives up to the bumper and just layed on her horn for about 10 minutes. Another neighbor came out from his sleep (it was before 8:00AM). She gives him the finger and starts yelling at the sleepy neighbor "Get your F**& car out of the way." Neighbor says its not my car so she starts screaming more obsenity at him and so it went for about 30 minutes. with her laying on the horn for good 20 minutes. The neighbor whose cable was being serviced didn't even bother to come out and check. They didn't want to be bothered. And my partner well... I wish I was there cause I would have called the police. Had the service truck ticketed, and girl a ticket for disturbing the peace...

I found quite a bit of irony in the whole "praying, etc..." Sorry to be callous but he was doing it to look favorable to the media/judge/jury whoever. Through the book at him!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I know enough to not automatically believe all media (because their information can be limited AND sometimes they run to sensationalism) but there is something that disturbs me about the girls admission. They WAITED there? Not to mention that one of them told the guy, who had a history of crimes and violence, that there was an altercation and where it had happened.

I think that if I was peeved at someone and I told a friend/boyfriend about it, knowing that he was predisposed to violence and he might act out, that I would be equally guilty if something were to happen.

We get roadblocks all the time up here. We also get people gardening in the roundabouts. It isn't that big of a deal. You go around the other side and the areas that have the roundabouts aren't big huge streets. They are smaller neighborhood streets that might have traffic but it isn't like the traffic is heinous and non-stop. People go on the wrong side of the roundabout all the time even if there isn't a roadblock just out of laziness or convenience, too.

The more I hear about this case, the more it bothers me. I also am starting to think the girls manipulated the guy because they wanted revenge.

I know I can't obsess over the whole thing but it's scary to think that somehow you can make the wrong person angry and die over it.