Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you don't need the weight capacity of a real BOB Yak, Nashbar has their BOB-like trailer on sale now for $99 (half off). It only holds 45 lbs., though.

Karen

I bike to work, the grocery store, doctor's office, daughter's school, lunch with husband, any trip that is by myself. Sometimes I bike and meet my family at our destination, for example my daughter's swim meet, a restaurant, etc. If I'm going to be hauling something I prefer to bike because I get such a kick out of it. I'll be picking up my daughter's new mattress next week and I've made arrangements to borrow a friend's bikes-at-work trailer for it! Mine isn't big enough.

I was surfing around yesterday and found a kit with a 75# weight capacity. Of course, it conveniently leaves out the tubes and for an extra $$$ you can buy them. Might as well by a ready-made trailer.

I love Nashbar, I will check that out.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    We don't have a car. That already should indicate how much we bike for pleasure, fitness and out of necessity for transportation.

So yes, commuting home at least 1-2 evenings is stopping by for a few groceries or having a restaurant meal or picnic in park with sweetie who cycles to and waits for me at my bike locker.

It actually feels abit strange to me ..to be NOT biking and walking along carrying a pile of groceries homeward.

Most of our vacation trips during non-snowy seasons, include cycling.

I finally took the plunge and have done some commuting. My PT summer job is 6 miles from home and has a bike trail all the way. I have ridden it and loved it but the job is at a golf course and it is too hard to tote golf clubs so I can head to the driving range after work

I do ride my bike for errands, however, I have gone to the bank drive thru, the Post Office drive thru and I have a "Wicked Witch of the West" basket on the back that will hold a large size "green" grocery bag which I take into the store - anything that will fit in the bag I can take home.

A little funny aside - my DBF was on an out of town business trip, he walked to the bank and went to the drive thru - the teller refused to serve him because he wasn't in a car. He was told he had to go inside. Unfortunately the inside lobby was closed (as he already knew). After much fast talking on his part and deliberation on the tellers part she finally served him through the drive thru window. Without naming places it happened in an ocean front far Western warm state

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Pretty much everywhere I go, I ride

WHen you have an Xtracycle it's easy.

I bike to our bike rides, does that count?

Mimi - is that your painting of Lance in his birthday suit? If so, where's the rest of it??
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

Xtracycle vs. BOB trailer

Thoughts?

tulip-

I have and love the bike revolution trailer (made by a company related to Friday). It's a rubbermaid tote. It has 2 wheels - I always worried about the stability of a bob (never tried it, though). You're welcome to play with mine next time you're down this way...

ETA - of course, I'm now considering making my old mountain bike into an xtra. Not that I need one. They're just really cool I'm sure I could justify it somehow

My problem is always what to do with stuff when running multiple errands - you really can't leave it on the bike, and taking it into the (other) stores seems risky...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks, CA, I hadn't heard of the Bike Revolution trailers before. I like that they are rain-proof and lockable. Once I get settled into the house, I think I would like to get some sort of trailer for groceries.

I may be down your way in a few weeks. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    My problem is always what to do with stuff when running multiple errands - you really can't leave it on the bike, and taking it into the (other) stores seems risky...
    What we do is always ride together to do errands (DH and I), which are pretty much limited to post office, farmer's market, and food co-op (everything else is too far away), and one of us always stays outside and guards the bikes (and the loot!) It's not quite as much fun not being able to go in together, but it avoids having to lock up the bike or deal with the "stuff" issue.

Unfortunately, we haven't done any "errand rides" this year yet -- just too busy with our puppy, DH's baseball schedule, and gardens. Hopefully soon.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Thanks, CA, I hadn't heard of the Bike Revolution trailers before. I like that they are rain-proof and lockable. Once I get settled into the house, I think I would like to get some sort of trailer for groceries.

I may be down your way in a few weeks. I'll let you know.
    Cool

I haven't figured out how to lock it yet - haven't been able to find a lock to fit. But, DH did bike back from PetSmart with cat food (20lbs), dog food (40 lbs) and cat litter ~10 lbs. Handled just fine

Emily- We usually do that, but I've running some errands on my own. It's kind of a drag to have to ride home and then ride back out to another store....

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I just today ordered a Croozer cargo trailer!!!! There is a large shopping plaza just 2 miles from me (bike path the whole way there) with 3 grocery stores, a Home Depot and pretty much everything else in between. I've been going to the store nearly every day but I can only get what fits in a backpack so if I need charcoal or soda it has to be the car for now. I was heading off to HD one day and my neighbor asked me to pick up a 12 ft length of 2x4 lumber. I seriously tried to figure out how to do it!!! Of course he was joking. Now if only I could reduce my 125 mile, one way,commute!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
    I just today ordered a Croozer cargo trailer!!!! There is a large shopping plaza just 2 miles from me (bike path the whole way there) with 3 grocery stores, a Home Depot and pretty much everything else in between. I've been going to the store nearly every day but I can only get what fits in a backpack so if I need charcoal or soda it has to be the car for now. I was heading off to HD one day and my neighbor asked me to pick up a 12 ft length of 2x4 lumber. I seriously tried to figure out how to do it!!! Of course he was joking. Now if only I could reduce my 125 mile, one way,commute!
    I like the looks of that!

trailers

I love my Carry Freedom trailer, it's a flatbed. You can strap nearly anything to it. I typically carry a really large plastic tub for hauling stuff. I like the fact that it comes apart incredibly easy and I can store it in my office or at home. Many of the other trailers don't have this feature.