Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's looking fantastic! The cabinets are really gorgeous. So nicely made, and the hardware compliments them nicely. Before I read your comment, I just thought it all looked great. The outlet didn't draw my attention.

I know you want it moved, but here's something to consider. This place makes bamboo switchplates:

http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclecti...tchplates.html

Tulip - that's awful!

To disguise it, can you find some bamboo wall paper, and use that to cover the outlet cover? With a beige outlet, and the wallpaper covered plate, maybe it would be hidden? Unless the whole panel is going to be replaced. Just a thought.
    Beth

Tulip, that's awful! But is the kitchen counter going to be a seating area? Do you plan bar stools there and make it a sit-and-have-a-glass-of-wine-while-we-watch-you-cook-at-the-housewarming-party kinda thing?

If so a stern reprimand, "replace it with a bamboo switchplate for me and don't do it again" might do. And even then who wants cords around their guests knees?

If not, they'd better replace the whole piece, it's like a zit on a puhrty gals forehead.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    That has to be the best example of jackassery I've seen for a while.
    My friend was having a home built and the contractor put a socket in the shower. Seriously. Because I like the blow dry my hair in the shower, it is shockingly fun.

Tulip- I am so sorry! They should make it right because I really don't see how that is a practical place. Sure it will work but not in a manner that is useful to you the home owner.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Yeah, I've had a zit in the middle of my purty forehead too many times in my life!

Redhodie, thanks for that link to the switchplate-o-rama place. That would be the simplest solution. The counter will be cantilevered 12 inches on that side of the peninsula...so it would have been okay if they had put it higher even. I just wish they had done what they said they would do and what is on the plans...put it on the end! Something about drawers and such. I think the electrician didn't put the box in the basement in the right place...I have been asking about this switch for some time ("you're going to put an outlet on the end of the peninsula, right?") because there were no wires coming up from the floor before the cabinets went in. And it's required by code, so I wanted to make sure that nothing would prevent the inspection from passing.

If this had been the first or second thing, I would be more understanding. OR if they had just called me to discuss it beforehand! But I've been way down on the priority list for months. The guy who's been doing the grunt work (not cabinets, but other work) seems to be quite a slacker and really not very conscientious in terms of finishing work, cleaning up, and doing what he's supposed to do. For example, he plastered the ceiling where the old wall was but didn't do a great job. I figured that was just the way it was going to be, so I painted. His boss decided to replaster it, which is good, but now I have to paint the ceiling again. Before that, I had requested that everything be "paint-ready" so that the cabinets would not be mussed up by paint, but it wasn't done completely and I have to paint around the cabinets in some places. It's just one thing after another it seems. At least they finally came and took the old toilet out of my yard.

This was supposed to be done by Christmas, then the first half of January, then February first, now I'm looking at March 1st. So sorry to complain, but it's been going on for way too long.

Also, I love the cabinets. They are handmade, hand crafted by some really wonderful and very efficient people. This is like punching the craftsman in the gut. Plus, they are EXPENSIVE and putting the outlet there is just plain wrong!

I did not have enough know-how to be my own GC in the beginning of this adventure. Now I do, and if I ever have to do this again...

But I do love the space and I'm looking forward to living, cooking, and just enjoying it. Thanks for the perspective on the outlet.

Tulip

There probably wasn't enough clearance on the end of the peninsula to have the conduit for the receptacle run up the side where the original plan was. For that, blame the cabinet designer.

If the code requires the receptacle, leave it as is for now. After the inspection make the cabinet guy replace that panel. You can remove the receptacle and cap off the wires (no loose live wires.. that's a no-no). And since the execution of the original design did not allow room for the receptacle, as designed, it's on the cabinet guy to make it right. You should not have to pay for that.

I can see where it would be useful to have a receptacle on the end of the peninsula, but on the back side like that is useless. Will cause a tripping hazard for anyone sitting there, or if you have a hot plate on the kitchen table, reaching over to the peninsula that's even worse.

Good luck.
    Martha

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    At least they finally came and took the old toilet out of my yard.
    WHAT?
    Now where will you plant the geraniums?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Tulip

There probably wasn't enough clearance on the end of the peninsula to have the conduit for the receptacle run up the side where the original plan was. For that, blame the cabinet designer.
    From prior pics, it looks like a drawer unit at the end; you might try measuring the depth of the outlet unit to see if the clearance exists...but it likely is too deep for the drawer space - unless it can go sideways at a point between the drawers... Details make the difference between satisfaction and dissatisfaction - but it's very hard to affordably plan for every contingency...
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Some folks would not mind the outlet in its current location, but aesthetics are important to me so the outlet is moving. We worked out a solution and the outlet will be on the end of the peninsula and the bamboo panel will be replaced. There is enough room behind the drawers to make it work.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the kitchen. I finally made that spaghetti dinner tonight--first time I've made pasta in 6 months (well, at my house anyways).

Oh, and the dishwasher works. Now I have to locate my dishes...

Congratulations, Tulip!!!! At least your kitchen is all ready for the spring growing season (farmer's market, etc.). Looks beautiful!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

A bit more progress

Outlet has been moved, panel will be replaced today, and pendant lights are up. Countertops next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendants4.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	8723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendants7.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	8724  

Wow, it's amazing how finished it looks just from adding the pendants!

Can't wait to see the whole thing.

eta: Oh, the new door makes all the difference, too!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Beauty!

And I love the red kettle.

I've visited a house recently that had a dish heater on top of the stove. I was pretty impressed. That would make a lovely complement above your gas range there.

Thanks, y'all. I love my red kettle (and all OXO kitchen gadgets!) and was delighted to pull it out of my storage shed last week. It was like seeing a long-lost friend. I have a microwave/convection oven combo that is going over the range. Tomorrow, I'm told. They had to do some finagling with the electrical switches next to the door before installing it.

I found out, too, that my range has a warming drawer...ooh! I didn't know that when I bought it. All the appliances came from Sears Outlet, and luckily I was able to get them all to coordinate. All except for the dishwasher, which is a Bosch--better ratings than the rest.

I still have a bit to do, aside from what the contractor has to to. I have to put polyeurethane on the door's wood parts and paint that wood piece of the doorway frame. And then I need to tile the backsplash, but that will have to wait until after the countertops are in. Other than that and the contractor's punch list, though, it's done. I'll post a pre-final picture once the countertops are done, and then later in the spring I'll post another one when I get around to the tiling.

If anyone's delving into this and wants some info on concrete or bamboo, or heatpumps and hotwater heaters, or even old house electrical issues, just let me know.

I have a question - the first of many, probably. When you're budgeting for work to be done by a contractor, how much do you estimate for unforeseen overruns?

Background - my 1BR garden-style condo was built in the '40s as rental housing for folks working in the Pentagon during WWII. It was renovated in the '70s when the neighborhood went condo. I bought it almost 5 years ago. The previous owners lived out of state and rented it out for at least 10 years. For the most part, before I moved in, nothing had been done to it since the '70s. The stove and tile backsplash in the kitchen were harvest gold. (Talk about an appetite killer.)

Since I moved in, I have replaced the windows and replaced all the appliances. I painted the gold tile backsplash white, which works as a temporary fix. I've also gotten a bunch of new furniture. Right now I'm working on replacing the water heater.

Next, it will finally be time to get a contractor in here to get some serious work done. Every room needs work. I won't bore you with the details, at least not yet. My plan is to divide the work into chunks according to what I can afford, so it will take at least a few more years to get everything done.

For starters, I would like to spend about $5,000. But I want that to be my total budget, so I need to leave room for the likelihood that once the contractor gets started, he will find something that needs more work than we anticipate at the start. It's an old building, so I'm sure there will be some surprises. For example, there's supposed to be hardwood floors under the wall-to-wall carpet, but I've heard that some people find sections of plywood when they rip up their carpet.

So, is there a good rule of thumb for budgeting? Such as, assume you'll spend X% more than the contractor's estimate once everything is final?

Also, I would love any advice you all have on how to work with contractors. I'll be working with someone who has done a lot of work in this neighborhood for decades, and several people I know recommend him.

Thanks!