Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

The trees are about 10-12 feet around at the base so having them removed involves a crane...and they keep the wood as part of the price. We don't have a fireplace so that's okay.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    The trees are about 10-12 feet around at the base so having them removed involves a crane...and they keep the wood as part of the price.
    Ah hah, so that's what those big jobs do. Figures.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Congrats Tulip! Now we get to see before and after, right?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Yes, photos of before and after...but there has to be an after, which there is not right now. So I'll post some before and progress photos as I go along. Stay tuned.

Yesterday the contractors removed the wall between the very small kitchen and the dining room, opening up a space that will be much more useful, light, and overall delightful. Before and After pics (more to follow when more work gets done):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeforeLongView Nov08.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	7967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KitchenDemo1 Nov08.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	7968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SinkDemo21Nov08.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	7969  

Wow, it looks so much bigger!

Tulip, is that hardwood flooring I see? It's beautiful! And with more light that will really pop and shine.

How are you dealing with the part that used to be under the walls?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Wow that makes a real difference. The wall really made everything cramped.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Here's the plan, more or less

A few things have changed since this plan. The back door will be one full pane glass. The lights have changed, the appliances are stainless, but you get the idea. Fridge and more cabinets are out of the image to the right. Oh, and the view out my windows--not that mountain view (too bad). It's a very modest 1939 little house.

Yes, hardwood floors are throughout the house. They were refinished, albeit not all that carefully, by the previous owner, but I'll be keeping them as they are.

Name:	3d kitchen .jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	7971  

I like!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I like!

How are you handling the back splash? I have to go pick up the tile for mine today. I have the decorative tile that will be popped in randomly throughout the "stock" tile. That'll be completed in about a week, or so the carpenter says

Is that recessed lighting I see? Are you re'doing the electric?

Name:	untitled-23.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	7974  
    Last edited by Trek420; 11-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Nice.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Yes, redoing the 'lectric cause there's only one light in there now, and I detest overhead lighting. In addition to recessed lighting, there will also be undercounter lights and pendants over the bar. Also, there was only one outlet (not GFI) in the original kitchen, so of course that has to be rectified. The location of the sink is not moving (but the sink will be replaced), but the plumber will have to come in to plumb for the fridge, the gas stove, and the dishwasher.

I have not gotten to the backsplash part yet. That will just wait until the cabinets are in and I can decide then. I'm leaning towards recycled glass tiles, but opaque ones because faults can be seen too clearly through the transparent ones. Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced in demolishing or building parts of houses, so all I can do myself is the painting and the tiling.

Trek, your tiles are very pretty!

Thanks!

The main tiles are neutral, just something that could be found at most any store, although it took me a month to find the ones I liked. They are a one foot square with 1", 2" & 4" tiles on a mesh backing. The idea is H. (carpenter) will intersperse the decorative tiles throughout at seemingly random intervals for no apparent reason.

To do the entire backsplash with Mexican tile would be too busy. It would clash with and detract from the counter. But I can only handle this much neutral before I go completely batty.

Those glass tiles are very nice, I looked at some. Maybe next time. It just is not in my budget. Worth considering is how they will look once installed and a little grout smeared on 'em as it always gets. In other words the clear ones that you like best will be less clear once installed.

If those are the tiles you want, go for it.

Are you going to set the bar up so it becomes a place you can have a couple of chairs or stools at the counter? That'd be nice. It's great to have a place to sit and have coffee. Your guests could sit there and bug you while you cook.

I'm not big on lighting either but it makes a huge difference. The dining area now has a light/fan. I chose the kind that could either be a pedestal or cinched up close to the ceiling. Installing it so it does not extend down makes the room seem bigger, I don't have high ceilings and need to use every visual trick I can.

The fan is so nice on hot days. I can't believe I did not do this earlier.

One of the lights I looked at was a combo overhead kitchen rack/light. As a former souse chef (a looooong time ago) I like the idea of overhead pot racks. It makes the whole kitchen triangle very user friendly, you need a pot or fry pan it's just behind you overhead.

My problem is twofold: 1) doggie. Everything there would get a light coating of yellow dog fur and 2) if your pots and pans are overhead they'd better be beautiful goooooood pots. So more or less standard lights is the way I went. But if I had a bar at my kitchen I'd want that.
    Last edited by Trek420; 11-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Tulip: What a great project. The floors were the very first thing I noticed! Good luck with it all -- what a big undertaking, but a lot of fun!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime