Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I have a real problem with fancy bowl sinks, fountain faucets, and the like in ordinary, run-of-the-mill homes. They will quickly become dated, and they look out of place when the floor has linoleum and not custom slate or something like that. I also think the bowel sinks on solid counters would be hard to clean around. There's no point in hanging them on the wall, like they show in some kitchen and bath places--you need a place to set your toothbrush while you rinse your mouth! I think they're totally impractical...
    Totally agree...the first time I saw one was while we were house hunting, I couldn't figure out why they had a large mixing bowl on top of the bathroom counter. Once I figured out it was actually the sink I just stood and stared at it trying to figure out why they chose such an impractical fixture.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    Our big challenge is the yard, they were huge into gardening and we are completely the opposite. We're putting in a two car garage and have to remove a stone and brick lined mini nature trail, several small trees, and enough greenery to fill a public park!
    Queen, I know you and your honey need room for the toys: kayaks and bikes and bicycles and oh yeah, car or cars .... but I'd love a yard like that. You might actually be able to find a park or school willing to come and replant the trees.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    Congrats on your new home Tulip!! Bungalow owners unite! We just moved in to our 1943 bungalow and fortunately the previous owners remodeled the kitchen and bath.

Our big challenge is the yard, they were huge into gardening and we are completely the opposite. We're putting in a two car garage and have to remove a stone and brick lined mini nature trail, several small trees, and enough greenery to fill a public park!
    Thanks, Queen! I'm really getting excited about the house AND the yard. I'm a gardener and I can't wait to get in the dirt and start planting. The previous owner did no gardening, which is fine by me because now I can do just what I want (like the kitchen). It's a big yard, too, with shade and sun! Too bad you are not closer to me...I'd rescue those plants in your yard.

I've decided to turn the outbuilding into my office, since I work from home. It's a solid building, and with a few improvements, like insulation and new windows, it'll be great.

a few more hoops have been jumped through. Just waiting on the appraisal.

I think I'll have a TE party when I finish the kitchen. There are a few in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I think I'll have a TE party when I finish the kitchen. There are a few in this area.
    And some who might travel

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Okay, great!

Talking Show us your .... remodel

a
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    In our upstairs bath, we pulled out the cabinet and sink and plan to put in a pedestal sink. This was forced by the location of the toilet, which can't be moved. It was less than a foot from the front of the cabinet (at a right angle). You could brush your teeth and use the toilet at the same time!
    Oh joy! Not that you would, but you could. My half bath used to be 3 small dark rooms; tiny half bath with sink directly across from the pot, that off the tiny dark hallway. Opposite that was the laundry. We knocked out walls and now it's one larger open room half bath with laundry room.

Pictured waaaaaay on the bottom is when we first knocked open the walls. The old sink here is still opposite the toilet.

http://onyourleft.gaia.com/blog

Toilet stayed where it is, it's now low flow! We moved the sink and now I have a utility sink with a nice storage cabinet next to the stacking washer drier.

I'll add an "after" picture and write up soon.
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-16-2008 at 06:03 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I have one low-flow toilet in the house and that's enough! I know water is fast becoming a commodity, but we have lots of it here, and I want the damn commode to FLUSH when I press the button.

I would consider one of those jet-assisted ones, though, if it came time.

Karen

Closed!

Closed on the house today and immediately went over to mow the lawn and take down the 15-foot (no exaggeration) weeds that had sprung up in the back. Oh and I had to round up the poison ivy that had made itself at home during the long vacancy. The previous owner had not lived in the house for a while.

Anyhoo, yea!! Now I have to go on a business trip for a couple of weeks, so I won't be moving in until later in the month. Then the renovations start.

Everything went smoothly, I'm so glad to soon not have to pay rent anymore! And I'm super psyched to make it my own place.

WOO HOO!!!!!

Congrats Tulip!

Electra Townie 7D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Closed on the house today and immediately went over to mow the lawn and take down the 15-foot (no exaggeration) weeds that had sprung up in the back. Oh and I had to round up the poison ivy that had made itself at home during the long vacancy. The previous owner had not lived in the house for a while.

Anyhoo, yea!! Now I have to go on a business trip for a couple of weeks, so I won't be moving in until later in the month. Then the renovations start.

Everything went smoothly, I'm so glad to soon not have to pay rent anymore! And I'm super psyched to make it my own place.
    Awesome!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Congratulations!!

aside from some out of control vegetation - may your new home be a joy.

And we're here to offer all the decorating advice you need!
    Beth

Congratulations new homeowners, tulip and Pax
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

So far we're at $2100 in tree trimming and removal fees...when all is said and done the total will be $6400.

Some were for the new garage we're putting in, but three arborists have come and looked at the three remaining silver maples and they all agree they have to come down.

Electra Townie 7D

Do you have a fireplace? If so the cut wood could be stacked and used. If not depending on what it is, a post to Craigs and someone else may take it.

Not sure if silver maple or anything else you're having removed can be used in furniture etc. Some companies like this example may pick it up, re-use it. Depending on the wood you can even sell it, or at least lower the fees to remove it.

www.crossroadslumber.com/aboutreclaimed.htm

Remodeling is expensive and wasteful, even if we didn't care a hoot about enviornmental stuff it saves a lot to explore all creative options in re-use. The more work you do the more stuff you end up throwing out and paying hauling fees. Like right now I have literally a bucket full of nails and screws left here long ago by someone who worked on the bathroom (did a real bad job on the tile too). Need nails, Pax? I'm gonna list it on Craigs or or donate to Habitat for Humanity or freecycle
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-01-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton