Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OHHHHHHH... I really LOVE those counter-tops!!!

My kitchen was semi-redone before we moved in... I would have chosen different tiles for the floor... the old appliances were still in place (thus the "Semi")... enclosed porch/sun room had loads of wasted space due to poorly designed layout... Wallpaper was tacky and a PAIN to remove... Walls underneath were old plaster and proved WHY they opted for wall paper... electrical wiring is all screwy with half the lights on one circuit and Fridge NOT on it's dedicated line.

OY. Might as well GUT the dang thing and start over. LOL.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    In fairness to the inspector, he can only inspect what he can see. If there was no access to the attic, or if the attic was finished, there is no way he could see the holes in the sheathing underneath the shingles. He MIGHT have been able to tell if there was one or two layers of shingles on the roof, but frankly the only way to find these holes is to remove the shingles, or to see them from below. If you couldn't see them, neither could he.

If he had walked the roof and noted spongy spots, that's a clue, as is any evidence of leaks - water spots in your ceilings. Any of those conditions would be a red flag.
    He had attic access and could have, and should have, seen that the decking was rotted in parts. This was just one of two VERY obvious issues that he should have caught that ultimately cost be a total of $12k, but thanks for suggesting that I was unfairly blaming him.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

No need to get like that. I have no idea what your inspector had access to or what he might have seen and your first note did not elaborate. Not all houses have attic access unless you start cutting holes in the ceiling. An inspector won't do that. Sounds like you got ripped off and that's a shame.

There can be many hidden conditions in older houses that would/could never be observed in a 2-3 hour home inspection. If you like the house enough to buy it, then you have to deal with the eventuality of making major repairs - that just goes with home ownership - and new homes and older homes alike are just as prone to have major problems.

His liability is probably limited to the amount charged for the inspection so he has little to lose if he misses anything.

The house we just bought (repainting several rooms) actually had two inspections before we bought it. One we paid for (very good inspector and he found a bunch of stuff) and a VA inspection. We got a VA approved loan so that requires them to do an inspection as well. Thankfully we got one of the good inspectors they have and she also found a bunch of stuff, mainly the same things our inspector found. Also in getting a VA inspection anything they find the seller is required to fix or no sale. There are a few things we will need to fix though. Like the gate for the fenced in back yard needs new hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    His liability is probably limited to the amount charged for the inspection so he has little to lose if he misses anything.
    This depends on the state, and the contract with the inspector. It's not necessarily true.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Bump.
    So who's got house projects going on right now?
    We looked for a new place to accomodate our need for a shop ( more garage space) and office for DH. To make a long story short, we decided to add on. Much cheaper since we were paid off, and we get to stay in our neighborhood.

Before: 1979 Daylight Rancher, in sore need of updating.

We decided to bump out on the side, adding another 15 x 40 shop bay (the garage is double deep anyway) and an office ( 15 x 28) with an entrance on the side. The shop now has 8' doors instead of 7'. We also put in a new furnace, AC which we finally got to use today!, more insulation, LAN, and a few other updates. We hired an excellent contractor who's been doing a terrific job.

Almost done

LOTS of photos here, with more description of the work and so on.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/penny.schwyn/Addition
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Wow. Very nice.

I've been getting ready to have most of my condo painted, then rip up the wall-to-wall and have the floors replaced. But there's some uncertainty in my job right now so I'm holding off for a few more months at least. In the meantime I'm still doing small projects like finding better ways to organize things and declutter, replacing doorknobs, locks and hinges, and cleaning out a big closet. I have boxes and boxes of old photos, many with duplicates, that I need to sort through.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Awesome! I love it.

My current house is great, but it's on the wet side of Oregon. We've been spending so much time biking on the dry side of the state, we just bought a townhouse and closed on it today over there...no more driving to the wet side exhausted and sweaty. My favorite single track begins less than a quarter mile from my townhouse front door

Very nice!
    The peaked roof over the garage was so awkward looking, your new design is so much nicer.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post
    Very nice!
    The peaked roof over the garage was so awkward looking, your new design is so much nicer.
    Thanks. We had an architect do the design . We knew what we wanted, but we wanted objective input, and something that didn't look like it was drawn on the back of a paper bag.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

before/after

2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Very nice!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Very nice indeed! Nice expansion, and I love the new siding, colors, and trim!

Wow, that looks great!
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

That's fabulous, Irulan.

We need to repair some cracking stucco, replace our garage door and repaint the house. I need to do some hunting around on Angie's list & such, but I'm kind of paralyzed. This thread may help me get my butt in gear.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl