Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Pedals and my Rivendell Atlantis

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got an Atlantis not too long ago and love it!!!!! I have a road bike (about 2 yrs old Orbea Onix which I also love and don't want its' feelings to be hurt....) but I wanted a bike for other riding:errands, trails (VA Creeper, New River), trips - DH and I planning to do Pittsburgh to DC/Allegheny Passage etc. So many trips so little time!

I have been using SPD/clipless on my previous bikes for years, and happy with it, no problems. I use SPD because we do longer tours on the road bikes and like to walk around. On the Atlantis I got the MKS BMX pedals for the riding that I'm doing on it I did not want to be tied to cycling shoes all the time. I did 70 miles of the Creeper Trail and it was ok. My shoe did slip a time or two and it seemed like after my knee had the tiniest twinge, but nothing serious. I really did not think about my form during that ride and probably should have. I can't do cages or straps, they make me crazy. Tried them many years ago when I was resisted the clipless.

Next month I am going on a supported Woman Tour of Asheville, NC. So there will be hills. I imagine most people will bring road bikes, but I want to take the Atlantis. I think it will be fine, except I am worried about the hills and the pedals. Since it will be a hilly 5 days, I am nervous to tour that long on the BMX pedal. I've done supported tours before, but always with my SPD's. I would hate to be slipping of the pedals or get a knee ache etc. I know the SPD's work for me.

So I am thinking about changing out the pedals on my Orbea to the Atlantis for the trip. Was looking for any advice or experience on touring and your pedals. Thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by KerryCrow; 07-09-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling/duplication

Changing pedals is easy. Use whatever makes the most sense for the ride. If you have the space you can even take both pairs of shoes and pedals (and pedal wrench) and swap.

Just don't try some new combo the day of the trip.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sounds like a fun tour you're about to go on. Is it through Woman Tours?

What about Wellgos or pedals that are spd on one side and flat plaform on the other? That way you could clip in when you're climbing, but still have the flexibility of putting on your flip flops (or whatever) and riding on the flat side. I like spd's and mtn bike shoes for touring (what little I've done). I like being able to walk normally in my shoes. I just bought some of the Keen commuter sandals from TE (and they arrived today- but I can't try them because it's raining ). I digress.. use whatever is comfortable for you and what works best. I, too, think that bmx pedals wouldn't be a good idea for the 5 day tour, tho.

Or...take both sets like SadieKatie suggested.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    well i know you said no straps- I assume you refer to PowerGrip straps and not just to the straps that come on cages?
    .....but I have to recommend PowerGrip straps anyway- I have them on both my road bikes (one a Rivendell Rambouillet). I use the MKS Touring pedals- they are a bit wide and that's good when I'm wearing my big insulated hiking boots in the winter.
    Without the straps, my rough tread running shoes and hiking shoes slip right off the pedal despite all the pointy teeth and rubber tread- as soon as the bottoms of my shoes get wet as in walking on damp grass or mud.

You can adjust the straps LOOSE- just enough so your shoe can't slip forward off the pedal, but loose enough to easily slip your foot on and off the pedal.

I keep my straps snug though- I like them that way and it keeps my feet from creeping forward on the pedals too much without my realizing and then having unexpected toe overlap on a wobbly steep hill.

The Atlantis is a great bike! Not to mention gorgeous.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, all!

Lisa - I have tried cages, but not the Power Straps. I guess it would not be a huge invest. to try them..... I don't have the touring pedals though...will they attach? Your bikes are beautiful!

TriGirl - Yes it is Woman Tours...my first. I have done lots of Backroads Tours with DH but I was going to do this with a friend and she changed her mind, but I didn't want to. So I am going forward and really can't wait! When I bike with DH we are mostly biking separately anyway...we've never mastered that togetherness thing. Our most important accessory on a bike trip is cell phone, "Where ARE you?", lol. He's a strong rider but "lollygags" at stops, and I like to keep truckin'. I have been eyeing those Keens. Please let me know how you like them....I'm heading to REI on Friday just to have a look-see. (code for: I-will-buy-something-not-sure-what)

SadieKate - smacking forehead...I feel stupid. I can just take both sets and a wrench instead of fretting about one or the other. Since this is supported I can just stash the extra in my luggage. I love not having to decide!!!! Unbelievable I had not considered that!!

I think this is where Tater would chime in with a "well, duh!"
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I had the power grips and they are nice. I have a set of SPD/ platform pedals. they are great. i only have one bike and so it is nice to be able to go on long rides with my bike shoes or go to the grocery store/ work/ coffee shop/etc and not click every step or have to bring an extra pair of shoes. REI has the shimano m324's and a few other types. the m324 is pretty much what I have
    (I have a generic brand I got to try out clipless and enjoy them too much to get a new pair). REI is a bit more than other's (Lickton has the same for cheaper) and your LBS stocks them, but if you decide that you absolutely hate them, well return them with no problems.

I want to ride from DC to Pittsburgh. i have yet to decide what I would do in Pittsburgh or where I would stay along the way but it just sounds so tantalizing!
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Speed Plays have a street shoe platform that clips over the pedal so you can use regular shoes with them. I think that spd's also have a similiar type of platform pedals.

I tour with my SpeedPlay X's and take the street shoe platforms with me in case I want to ride in street shoes

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryCrow View Post
    Thanks, all!

Lisa - I have tried cages, but not the Power Straps. I guess it would not be a huge invest. to try them..... I don't have the touring pedals though...will they attach? Your bikes are beautiful!
    Yes it looks like your MKS BMX pedals have the same type of holes that the touring pedals do, and would accept PowerGrip straps.

Here's where I get them:
    http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/
    You need the straps with the little hardware kit. They last for many thousands of miles.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rei has them for $25 and a lot of LBS's have them.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Thanks again...wow,would have never realized there were so many options had I not joined this forum! It's great to have more perspective than just the racer boys at my LBS.