Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

bike transport from Redding to SF?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,
    I'm working out the details of a tour from SF to Lassen. There, my friends will move on, and I will head back to work.

The problem? Getting myself & bike back to the Bay from Redding. It seems that Amtrak doesn't have baggage service (necessary for bikes) on their Coast Starlight or their Thruway Bus.

Anybody have experience getting a bike on Greyhound? Or other suggestions (in case i can't convince a friend to come pick up the early-turnabouts and our bikes)?

Rai Sue

You could do a one way rental of a van.

When is your trip?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good suggestion! I will call around. I think they have an airport there...

I think the plan is to leave Oakland the morning of the 29th.

I'm not the main route planner, but I think we will camp on the other side of the antioch bridge, then in Sacto, then up to Grass Valley, and then??

Suggestions for good camp spots, and especially swimming spots appreciated

I've been sailing off Brannen Island. I think they have swimming beach. It was a few years ago. The first time we dumped the dinghy was an accident. The second time was deliberate because we were hot.

Have you crossed the Antioch Bridge before on a bike? It's not too bad, can be very windy and hold on tight if a big truck passes you.

We only stopped riding over it because the access road for bikes has (had maybe...) nasty pavement.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Coast Starlight

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Sue View Post
    Hi,
    I'm working out the details of a tour from SF to Lassen. There, my friends will move on, and I will head back to work.

The problem? Getting myself & bike back to the Bay from Redding. It seems that Amtrak doesn't have baggage service (necessary for bikes) on their Coast Starlight or their Thruway Bus.

Anybody have experience getting a bike on Greyhound? Or other suggestions (in case i can't convince a friend to come pick up the early-turnabouts and our bikes)?

Rai Sue

Unfortunately Amtrak doesn't have checked baggage on at the Redding station. Amtrak stations (and most Coast Starlight stations) that are staffed do have checked baggage and have a baggage car. Don't give up on on Amtrak - they make traveling with bikes fairly simple. On corridor trains (like the 3 state supported routes in California) they have bike racks. For Long-Distance trains they will put your bike in the baggage car. Bikes have to be put in special bike boxes which you can pickup (and package while) at the station.

BTW - all Bay Area stations have checked baggage, so if you were departing from another station, the bike would be no problem... You could always show up with it and play dumb - the conductor will probably take care of it for you. Really isn't that big of a deal....

Hope this helps!

update

Well, the good news is that my angel friend Marcus agreed to come pick us up. He came up behind us and met us with van and bike rack (and beer and chocolate) as we were chillin' at the summit of Mt. Lassen, then went ahead and secured a campsite, but let us enjoy the downhill. THEN drove all the way back to Oakland. Yay for good friends.

Of course, we paid him for the gas and his troubles, but better than greyhound by far!

see the first week of this site for some random pics and stuff from the trip (with 2 friends continuing on to Minnesota, now): http://bikebums.com/2008

Rai Sue