Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post

That would be cool, do you visit often?
    Once in a while. I try to avoid the summer months in Florida - I might come down for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Will have to remember to PM you when I travel next!

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Yup, vegan here for 17 years. Only been riding my bike for 3, though. Welcome!
    Thank you! Everyone is so nice here!

I just started riding and I think it is making me even more aware of what I am eating. I just dont get the mentality of some riders that do it so they can eat junk! I want to eat so that I can ride harder and longer!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's 100 miles the first day and 75 the second. No, I don't normally travel with my bike (in fact I'm a little apprehensive about getting my bike there and still haven't decided how I'm going to do that). My sister lives in Dallas and does this ride every year. She invited me to ride with her this year. We don't get to spend a lot of time together so I'm really excited about going!

Oh yeah - a raw food restaurant opened this year in Flagler Beach called the Almond Blossom Cafe, and the one time we ate there it was really, really good! I don't know much about raw cuisine and wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was really impressed. I hope the place can make a go of it - it's tough for restaurants in the best of times, and these aren't the best of times.
    I would be nervous about my bike too. How cool that you and your sis can do it together. Awesome!

Raw food restaurant... wow! that is daring in FL!! I would love to try something like that. Do you know if they are on Happy Cow?

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Once in a while. I try to avoid the summer months in Florida - I might come down for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Will have to remember to PM you when I travel next!
    Yup it is hot but it gives me incentive to ride faster to create wind!! hehe!

Yes, please do PM me if/when you are going to be nearby!!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Welcome! We're glad to have you here. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of useful and interesting information on bikes, house remodeling, and hair, among other topics.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian or any kind of -tarian (except maybe a contrarian!) To me, food is such a big part of the cultures of the world, and I'm really interested in the Slow Food movement. I used to live in Europe and I loved participating fully in the culinary culture of the place, which is so intertwined with all the rest of the culture. I eat well, I eat local, and I eat a wide variety of food.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Welcome! We're glad to have you here. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of useful and interesting information on bikes, house remodeling, and hair, among other topics.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian or any kind of -tarian (except maybe a contrarian!) To me, food is such a big part of the cultures of the world, and I'm really interested in the Slow Food movement. I used to live in Europe and I loved participating fully in the culinary culture of the place, which is so intertwined with all the rest of the culture. I eat well, I eat local, and I eat a wide variety of food.
    I am so happy to have found this forum! I do have some questions about a new saddle but I will check out threads already posted.

I have done a little reading about the Slow Food Movement and I do try to eat local as much as I can. BF and I planted our first garden this year and that is so fulfilling as well.

I came into veganism through eating healthy so my greatest wish for my omni BF and others is for them to eat organic & healthy when they do make their choices. I try to live by example and maybe if I inspire a few people to give it a try I am happy!

3 years ago I trained for the Death Ride with a guy who was a raw food vegan. He had adopted that lifestyle to control his diabetes, and it worked very well for him. Getting the food balance just right for very long training rides was tough, but he finally got that right as well after some real misadventures.

We used to call him the Fruit Brute, because he mostly ate fruit.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    3 years ago I trained for the Death Ride with a guy who was a raw food vegan. He had adopted that lifestyle to control his diabetes, and it worked very well for him. Getting the food balance just right for very long training rides was tough, but he finally got that right as well after some real misadventures.

We used to call him the Fruit Brute, because he mostly ate fruit.
    wow! that is impressive!

vegetarian here

i was vegan but am now lacto/ovo. 9+ years now. new to the forum as well!

Quote Originally Posted by kie_fujo View Post
    i was vegan but am now lacto/ovo. 9+ years now. new to the forum as well!
    Nice to meet you!

Here's a story from the News-Journal about several vegan and/or raw food restaurants in East/Central Florida!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Related question

I became an "accidental" vegetarian in June of 07. My 17 YO daughter joined me at the time.

She is now considering going to Vegan for health and possible allergy reasons. Unfortunately, she starts college next month, and although they have a significant vegetarian section in the food court, I don't think there's many vegan choices.

So my question is: Was any one here a Vegan through college? Do you have any tips or suggestions I can pass on to her to set her up for success?

Thanks.

I wasn't, but my college had a decent-sized vegan co-op. This was in the '70s when such things were more popular Does her college have dining/housing co-ops? Is off-campus dining a possibility for her?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had trouble being pescitarian at a southern university but I didnt have to worry about the freshman 15! Later years I had an apartment and prepared my own food.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Here's a story from the News-Journal about several vegan and/or raw food restaurants in East/Central Florida!
    OMG AWESOME! THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Iris616 View Post
    I became an "accidental" vegetarian in June of 07. My 17 YO daughter joined me at the time.

She is now considering going to Vegan for health and possible allergy reasons. Unfortunately, she starts college next month, and although they have a significant vegetarian section in the food court, I don't think there's many vegan choices.

So my question is: Was any one here a Vegan through college? Do you have any tips or suggestions I can pass on to her to set her up for success?

Thanks.
    I had a tough time getting through college and I still eat fish and chicken. My happy days were the chilly days, I loved the veggie chilly!

I lost a lot of weight and ate salad almost every meal. I had other friends who were vegetarian who put on weight because they stuck to the fries, pasta and other carbs.

If she has an option to live off campus and isn't required to have a meal plan it will be easy but for me I had to live on campus and have a meal plan