Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry, I meant to write the measurements too, the Ritchey is 110 reach and 145 drop I think.

They're both definite possibilities. I'll report back after the bike shop.

Well that was a waste of my time. Well, not totally- he adjusted my derailleurs and showed me how to wrap my bars and gave me tips on pedaling. But when it came to fit, it was a waste. They had a ritchey wing topped 40 that bent back (bad for wrist) and something ancient from the basement that may have been a nitto that was 40 and felt okayish, but they didn't have another stem to put in to try the ritchey or any other bars to try. Oh, and I knew more about clamp sizes and bar shapes than he did! Sigh.

So do I go to Landrys and get a proper fit? Or should I just try TxDoc's bars? I am a biomechanist, so I understand a lot of the fitting issues and have read a lot, but I can't step back and look at myself, so am doing some by tape measure then by feel from there or just by feel. I have a cycleops trainer which helps- as long as I can reach my tools I can adjust while sitting there Maybe there's something more I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by mayanorange View Post
    I am a biomechanist, so I understand a lot of the fitting issues and have read a lot, but I can't step back and look at myself, so am doing some by tape measure then by feel from there or just by feel. I have a cycleops trainer which helps- as long as I can reach my tools I can adjust while sitting there Maybe there's something more I'm missing?
    Ok, I am missing the whole picture here... what is the geometry of your bike and what's your current setup (saddle height, stem, bars angle...)?
    And well yes, a professional fit would always be best!
    Now, with your profession you may get by and do it yourself - with mirrors and some help (like someone taking your measurements and angles while you are on the bike on the trainer). It will take much longer than doing it in a pro bike shop. Of course it's cheaper, but again, a good fit is very important...
    Anyway, I just placed the bars with some other stuff on the TE yard sale, if you decide to try them let me know and I can scratch them from that post
    But seriously what is the geometry of the bike? I think I'm quite confused now at what the reach problem is
    As a side note: when you find out that you know more about bikes than the shop owner (and your name is not Lance Armstrong or Jeannie Longo), then you need to change bike shop!!!
    Good luck!

sidenote:

can I re-use my Brooks leather tape if I change back to my other bar? It's on the new bar thats on the bike until I decide.....?

Discipline is remembering what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    Ok, I am missing the whole picture here... what is the geometry of your bike and what's your current setup (saddle height, stem, bars angle...)?
    Pic of my current setup at the bottom. It's a 54 and here's the specs from bikepedia: http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...4301&Type=bike I don't have official geometries but I took a few measurements. My measurements: height 5' 7.5", inseam 91cm, around the torso (looped around crotch and shoulder) 155cm, arm length 60cm. Current saddle height 92cm from pedal at the bottom of the stroke (I like to point my toes a bit). Current reach for center of bar clamp to center of seat clamp 63cm.

As for the reach problem, basically I just wanted my bars a bit higher since I have my seat rather high for toe pointing. I went for a ride yesterday and I felt a bit cramped in my body but my arms were so splayed to reach the hoods at 44, that I can't go further out yet. I think once I get a smaller bar, I'll want to increase my reach to closer to the original (90mm) but still bring it up a bit (so maybe 100-105 but 20-30 degree), which helps my wrist and flabby tummy deal better.

I see your higher seat as an advantage actually. If you keep the bars leveled or use a low-rise stem (5 degrees or 8), because that would allow you to flatten your back and be 1-more comfortable (!!!) and 2-more aerodynamic. By raising the bars to the same level of the stem, you are basically neglecting yourself that advantage.
    Also, if I understand your wrist problem (not sure I got it right...), I think that the more upright position is putting extra strain on your wrist and cousing more pain. A correct flat-back position, especially with your hands in the drops or on top of the hoods, should allow your elbows to bend more and your wrists to be in a natural position, relieving the pain.
    Yes different bars will help, but I would definitely consider changing the riding position a bit. You could try a 5 degree stem (80 or 90mm), so that your seat is higher than the handlebars, and you can rotate the pelvis more and achieve a flat back - or almost flat

In my opinion (and hey I am NO expert, just ride a bike sometimes) this change may solve many of your problems, including reach AND wrist pain.
    Since you have a stationary trainer, you could just give it a try - although efficiently rotating the pelvis takes time, so it will be a gradual change from your current upright position to a flat-back more aero position.

As per toe-pointing... despite most coaches preaching against it (with good reasons) - we occasionally see toe-pointers among pro cyclists and champions. I guess you have to find your own balance, and figure out the position that allows you to pedal comfortably while getting the most out of your power output. The problem with toe-pointing is that some of the energy that you use to pedal is not efficiently transferred to the pedal/crank because of that position - so virtually you could go faster by using a more efficient position on the pedal. But again, finding the right angles take time, so if you are comfortable with some toe-pointing right now that can be ok as well - just make sure that it does not put unnecessary strains on the ankle or other parts of the body.
    Hope this helps!

TxDoc- I think you're right that I should be lower and maybe even further out. I'm trying to get a bent elbow to reduce strain on wrist, but with the wide bars I end up having my elbows in a weird rotation which is tiring and then they get straightened, hurting my wrist and making me feel like I should sit up to put the weight on my tush instead.

I rode over to landrys and eventually managed to catch the fitter- he measured me at 37 and suggested a 38 because of my wrist. They couldn't find the ones they were supposed to have, so have an appointment with him tuesday night. It's worth it to figure it out quickly and know I'm actually where I belong, not just where I think I do! He's suggested the FSA compact bars in a 40 (which is 38 in the hoods) which looks like it could be very comfy- I was wondering why bars usually don't taper into the top. I asked if he knew the Deda 4 girls and he was hesitant since it's 38 outside to outside (thus a 36 really) and he might not want so much reach for me. We'll see what comes of tuesday- it's much nicer to talk to someone who really knows their stuff.

The FSA is very nice - and I think it has a shorter reach so it could help as well. I am glad you got a good fit, that is really priceless - working with real professionals changes everything, doesn't it?
    It looked like the first bike shop did not really treat you appropriately. It seemed also strange to me that given your reach/wrist issues they decided to fit you on the Aurora that has sort of a touring/upright geometry. I would have thought that they'd suggest something like the Xenith instead - equipped with a short stem and a short-reach handlebar... but hey, they are the bike expert so I guess they must have had a good reason

So give the FSA a try and see how your hands feel. But still, once you have bars of the right size, consider leveling your stem and trying out how you do with a more flat position. That may help the wrist and also save some fatigue. We never think how important aerodymanics is until we try it...
    Good luck!
    Last edited by TxDoc; 07-27-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: bike names misspelled

The answer is they didn't fit me much at all. I tried a few different bikes, but then we walked into some clearance Venturas that also felt rather good- my Sport is shorter reach than DH's Comp model which I had tried in a 54 also and definitely noticed the length. We were lucky enough to get the one sales guy who owned a road bike, but the fact I got close to what I need was mostly me... going by feel.... having never had a real roadbike before (80s tenspeeds don't count). I'm lucky I got as close as I did. This is why I'm wondering why I didn't just go to Landrys and pay more and have the right bike. Too late now tho- live and learn.

My new best friend (did I mention he's quite easy on the eyes too? Don't tell DH) at Landrys is going to address the stem once he locates the right size FSA. I'm sure he'll find a better saddle position too.

I went to one of the BIG bike stores in Boston and well, they basically ignored me and told me they didn't have much in my size and walked away. I had one of those Julia Roberts moments, big mistake pal. (I left with my wallet).
    My favorite bike store is Gear Works in Leominster. I know this is a haul for you but its right off rt 2. I bought my Orbea Dama from them. Young crowd and they all ride. Might be worth the trip. Darren is great!!!!
    Landrys I've found to be hit or miss. I've been in the one in Westboro and Natick. Summer help sometimes isn't very knowledgeable. Just my two cents worth.

Surlygirl- I agree Landrys can bit hit or miss, but I enjoyed my fitting last night with Andy in Natick. I grilled him about angles he chose and why and he was very open to telling me anything I wanted to know. I then of course threw DH on the trainer once home and fit him to his bike better.

So I now have the FSA wing pro compact bar in a 40 and I think it's pretty great so far. He actually moved my saddle up a lot (guess I wasn't toe pointing) and forward some to get the right leg placement. He didn't have the right stem- we're going to try 100 and 110 at 20 degrees, but for now I have stubby 30 degree stem on. He also wrapped me up with some bar phat and white tape (she looks so snazzy now!). I'll post an 'after' pic once the new stem comes in.

I also hopped on a bike that had the Selle SMP stratos on it- it was much tinier than I thought they'd be. It was interesting, but I'd need the plus or trk to get wide enough for my tush. Maybe I'll try a TRK at some point, but I can't really afford the plus.

All in all I think it was a great fit, tho it'll take a bit of getting used to where I'm really supposed to be!

Quote Originally Posted by mayanorange View Post
    So I now have the FSA wing pro compact bar in a 40 and I think it's pretty great so far. He actually moved my saddle up a lot (guess I wasn't toe pointing) and forward some to get the right leg placement. He didn't have the right stem- we're going to try 100 and 110 at 20 degrees, but for now I have stubby 30 degree stem on. He also wrapped me up with some bar phat and white tape (she looks so snazzy now!). I'll post an 'after' pic once the new stem comes in.
    Sounds great - now we definitely want to see pictures!
    So how does it feel with a higher saddle and a lower stem, does that relieve some pressure off your wrist?

And the choice is...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGem View Post
    Great ideas ladies! Thanks so much. I've asked my awesome bike maker (www.rideoctober.com) to look at your ideas so we can try a few things. I really appreciate your responses. I'll try to post when it all gets settled so you know what the results are.

BTW, I am a little person, not a Little Person. And I'm not that little at all, which is why it's so frustrating. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for Little People. Power to the people (little and Little)!
    So, we went with a 38 cm Ritchey WCS Carbon Evolution SL with 132mm drop and 75mm reach. I'm excited to see how it feels. The bummer, my bike got selected to be shown in the Edge Composites booth at Interbike next week. I won't get to ride her until October! (she's got a temporary Edge handlebar now)

You can see her here though...http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php...3847712&ref=mf

WOWOWOW

If anybody hasn't checked out how her custom bike turned out you really should. It is ridiculously hot!

If my Look turns out 1/2 as great I'll be happy...