Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Downhill

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nice lines, spazz! yup, I get that theory, and use it whenever possible. I just have this irrational fear of that big, wide open hill to my right when I'm on the road....it feels like it wants to grab me and send me careening down and down and down....so my lines around some of the corners are definitely not the most efficient if they take me close to the edge at all.

anyone else have a strange fear like this?? I really do hate it...most people think I'm quite fearless! and, coincidentally, it seems hills that drop away to the right freak me out on the road, hills that drop away to the left freak me out on trails....could I be any weirder??

Namaste,
    ~T~

I think that fear of soaring through space NOT attached to your bike anymore is quite rational actually.

Fear is OK... it breeds respect and I think fear is a strong incentive for skill work (IMHO).

The ones that have no fear (usually synonomous with no sense) and therefore go barreling through everything are the ones that usually end up in a ditch.

When I motorcycled, I went to a track day for women. While practicing lines into the many turns, the instructor said "pick your line, stay with it and TRUST YOUR TIRES". THey will do their job if you do your job.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

new to downhills too

I chickened out on my first short, steep hill this past weekend. I am mad, disappointed, upset with myself that I didnt at least try...but at the time I just didnt feel ready.

I did however go down some long downhill that had some buried logs/railroad ties. That I rode with my brakes on all the way down, but I made it!

My fear is going down the hill too fast and hitting a root or soemthing and losing my balance. I am still very new to mountain biking (only rode 3 times so far on new bike)

I did read the post on going up a little way then coming down...that I think i can handle as it isn't too steep. Its the ones where you have no choice but to take the whole hill or walk down/up.

Hopefully this weekend I can try it again.

Just keep trying Aramei! You'll do it!

For mountain biking, it may help to "session" a small area. here in town we have a small bowl or gravel pit. It's got varying steeps down into it, it's pretty smooth, and you can practice just pointing the bike down and getting your weight back. Over time you can practice going down as slow as possible in complete control (i.e. no skid, or virtually no skid), or going down as fast as possible! Both are usable skills on the trail.

When it comes to mountain biking, it's important to ride mostly in your comfort zone, and occasionally push the envelope when you're feeling confident. If you're not confident about it, you're more likely to screw up and get hurt. Your instinct to not do that hill was probably good that day. I hope you're riding with someone who knows what they're doing and is also patient!! A total must for developing your confidence and skill!!

Good luck, hon, keep trying, but keep safe!!

(so says the girl who once broke her shoulder trying beat DH's time on a trail...and once thought she was queen of the mountain and prompty knocked the wind out of herself and put 10 ribs out of place...owie...I still feel that one sometimes!)

namaste,
    ~T~

Having a fear of going over an edge isn't irrational. One thing I had learned when I took the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class is that you tend to follow where you look. So, to avoid the edge, don't look at it. Find your line and hold it through your turn. It's tough, but if you glance at the edge while following the line, you may end up drifting toward it.

What's interesting is that racing cars (rallying) is the same way. You want to turn your head to follow your line. You tend to turn towards the direction your head is turned.

Mel

other skills to practice sessioning for mountain bike DH

really slow riding... use your brakes but don't lock or ski
    same as above, but now just use your front brake
    practice getting behind the saddle and laying your tummy on it, while riding
    lower your saddle - on the flats!
    Do some lift served downhill. Not being tired from climbing and just focusing on the ride down is a lot of fun. You can do a lot of miles which will helpyou get comfortable.

irualn
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Ah Irulan!

Do the same rules for road downhill and curves hold true for MTB?

I haven't a clue since I'm an asphalt kind-o-gal.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    Ah Irulan!

Do the same rules for road downhill and curves hold true for MTB?

I haven't a clue since I'm an asphalt kind-o-gal.
    hmmm. lots of factors. If you are on a dirt/fireroad you will have smooth areas and gravel filled areas. Best to not cut through the gravel. For singletrack, some of the ideas of body position for corner can be applied - example would be putting your elbow and knee into the turn, but your "path" will be confined to the trail. And feet at 6/12 isn't a good idea, there might be rocks at 6 clock.

~I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

downhill for roadies.....

Going downhill reminds me of skiing. It's a control thing, I think. I have a friend who crashed hard while skiing - and unfortunately that transferred to the bike. She has the ability to ride downhill - but the fear consumes her. I've watched her walk her bike downhill before - and it is something that only she alone can overcome. Caligurl had a great suggestion for when the fear is too much - conquer it in increments.

For me, like skiing, downhills are the reward for all the climbing, headwinds, and stinging rain. I enjoy each nanosecond of it. Like standing at the top of a double black diamond - where anything and everything will be thrown at you and your legs, you just have to do it. Sure you may fall at first - but practice on the smaller hills. Work your way up - slowly and at your comfort level. Just make sure you have a grin on your face afterwards - or back it off a little. Whatever you do - don't get in over your head. Otherwise your fear may cause a minor error that could turn into a major issue.

It's the best when you're running 53-11 and can't keep a high enough cadence to push any more. I make sure my equipment is in tip top shape - my brakes work, my hub is running smoothly, my wheels are perfectly trued and my helmet is tightly strapped beneath my chin. That way the fear of equipment failure is pacified while going 40-50 mph. I am one of the crazy people you see screaming down the hill - I know, I should have more sense. But if there were downhill road races - I would be an Olympian.

How did I know Fillmore was 25%? Was I guessing? Did I read it somewhere?

Weird.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Google says...

I found this...

Fillmore ...* It climbs 190 feet over a 700 yard run for an average grade of 10% and a max of 18%.* Believe me it’s much worse than it sounds.* The last two blocks are so steep the sidewalks have steps cut into them.* ...Taylor Street is almost as steep, but a shorter climb (2 blocks as opposed to Fillmore’s four).* It has a max grade of only 16%.*

I guess I'll have to eat my earlier words. Can I have a cookie with that?

V.
    Source

TandemHearts.com

More googling...
    Quote Originally Posted by found on google
    The Steepest Streets in the City
    1. Filbert between Leavenworth and Hyde (31.5% grade)
    2. 22nd Street between Church and Vicksburg (31.5% grade)
    3. Jones between Union and Filbert (29% grade)
    4. Duboce between Buena Vista and Alpine (27.9% grade)
    5. Jones between Green and Union (26% grade)
    6. Webster between Vallejo and Broadway 26% grade)
    7. Duboce between Alpine and Divisadero (25% grade)
    8. Jones between Pine and California (24.8 grade)
    9. Fillmore between Vallejo and Broadway (24% grade)
    (Source: San Francisco Almanac)

Okay AG - now find us some pictures of these beasties.

V.

TandemHearts.com

and you pedal up these "little" hills.

I'm imagining one of those in New England after the first ice storm:

And welcome to OLN's coverage of the New England "Human Bowling Ball Championships".

Look at the speed Spazz is getting off that 2nd step.... ooooh!

That's gonna leave a mark!
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

I hope it is not inappropriate to say that this is about the most interesting and helpful thread I have ever seen on any bike forum ever. Hills scare me but you all just made it all make sense, and you even used math and physics. Brilliant and practical.