Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

road bike stolen

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,
    My road bike was stolen on 1 July off the roof rack on my car in Albuquerque, NM while I was checking out of the hotel.....at 7 a.m. and it was only unattended for 20 min. It was locked in the rack too!

Am wondering if anyone has had success getting a stolen bike back and what did you do? I filed a police report, but I am now in Aurora, CO, where I will be living for the next few years. I left my name and number w/a few local bike shops in ABQ, but the owners were doubtful they would see it.

Also any suggestions on a commuter bike for Colorado area? I am thinking a cross bike but not really sure.

thanks
    Laura
    Laura

Post a warning on Craigslist Albequerque to warn people of the theft.

K.

Well that stinks! I didn't think thieves got up that early.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Well that stinks! I didn't think thieves got up that early.

V.
    Maybe the drug addled moron was up late?

Seriously, that bites. If you have photos of your bike get the word out to all the local bike shops. One of the AIDS Lifecyle riders did that, and soon thereafter got a call from a shop "we have your bike" The thief also got cuffed by the police.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

check out the threads by jocelynlf she did a lot of really good things after her bike was stolen. But i don't think she ever got it back.

When my son's bike was stolen, his brother actually spotted it on campus and they got it back! (last year)

but it helps to post photos and descriptions. You can start here, but do search on Jocelyn's threads about her bike being stolen.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Laura, that sucks!! How did they get it off the rack? Did they punch the lock or something? It's selfish, but I'd sure like to know the details. My rack has a lock and I'm worried that it's inadequate.

Yup, tell the bike shops and give them the serial number if you have it and keep checking Craig's list in that area. I know a few people who found their bikes that way.

Meanwhile, I think you would love a cross bike. Little consolation but at least it'll make you feel a bit better.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Laura,

I don't have any advice about getting a stolen bike back, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am that this happened to you.

I hope you get it back!

- Melissa
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Sorry about your bike. That really stinks. As for a bike out here in CO, I have a Road, MTN, and Cross. I usually use my Cross bike on most the the "urban" trails because it is a little more sturdy then my road and some sections of the trails can be a little rough. One time I was riding down a hill on one of the trails west of town, rode under a bridge so I could not see as well and ended up hitting a huge rut/hole in the concret. My front tire hit it hard enough that my hands flew off the handle bars and I ended up with my forearms ontop of the handle bars. Luckily I did not crash, but if I had my road bike I am sure the bike would have sustained some damage.

Could you please post a detailed description and a pic of your bike so we can be on the lookout? I live in the next state over and you just never know. I will watch craigs list in my state.

I HATE THIEVES!!

Brenda

Unfortunatly in ABQ, you probably won't see it again. I had a bike stolen in ABQ(from UPS by the way, so probably a ups worker but anyways...) It was never to be seen, and at that time my ex worked at a LBS in ABQ and they had look outs for it. There is a good chance it could end up in mexico.. j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmyt View Post
    Post a warning on Craigslist Albequerque to warn people of the theft.

K.
    What about putting a self notification in ebay so you'll get email from ebay if something with a similar description shows up?
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Laura, I hope you find your bike and I'll be thinking of you and wish you all the best.

thanks all; I put an add on Cragislist for Albuquerque and Phoenix, since I heard some stolen bikes are marketed in Phoenix as well.

It is a white aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat stays, Masi Gran Corsa. It has Power Cranks on it; which is the most distinctive feature. Look KEO pedals, Aspide Glamour seat, frame pump, cateye computer, seat bag w/blinky light. Picture of me on it and a company photo (not sure if this worked):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim3.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	6476  
    Laura

That looks like a very nice bike. I don't think that one will end up in Mexico. The roads aren't so smooth there and not roadie friendly. (Gross over generalization.)

Craigslist is a good place to look. But there are a too many places to sell stolen bikes. Flea markets, etc.

I hope your insurance will cover your loss. Having things stolen just sucks and makes you feel bad.

sarah

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
    I hope your insurance will cover your loss.
    That reminds me.......AFLAC was quick to pay for damage to a bicycle according to an insured. I'm really thinking about getting AFLAC since I have a zippy bike.