Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

Exclamation Lock up your fuel!

To disable ads, please log-in.

With the rising gas prices, there have been a rash of fuel thefts around here. People are getting their gas cans stolen from their sheds--fuel used for the lawn mowers and such. Farmers are reporting that thousands of dollars of diesel fuel is being stolen from the generators that are irrigating the fields and from the diesel fuel tanks. Some of them are using cameras that the hunters use for night time photography in hopes of capturing the thieves' images.

Perhaps it's time to invest in a lockable gas cap as well.

70s deja vu all over again.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Seriously. And why didn't Honda put a locking flap on my Element??? I don't want to get a locking cap because the original one is leashed to the car, so I won't lose it.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Seriously. And why didn't Honda put a locking flap on my Element??? I don't want to get a locking cap because the original one is leashed to the car, so I won't lose it.

Karen
    Ditto here. I've been thinking of calling the dealer to see if they offer one that works with the leash....Otherwise, I'm afraid I *would* lose it
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I've wondered when this was going to start to happen.
    I weathered the 70's without a locking gas cap. Wonder if i can do it again
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have always had locking gas caps for my cars. Given my general level of personal abrasiveness, I worry about people pouring solvent or something in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Seriously. And why didn't Honda put a locking flap on my Element???
    Karen
    I dunno. I'm in the same boat.

My car gets parked in the garage for a reason. At work I park next to a wall, honestly it would be a very thin thief to be able to even access my gas tank. I worry about the truck sitting in the driveway, luckily it never has more than half a tank. We may still need a locking gas cap.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

The receptionist at my office and I were discussing this. She has a car with a big V-8 and she's thinking about putting a sign up that says "Free gas card if you steal the car."

I bought my civic back when gas was about a buck and a half a gallon. I feel better about it now.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

This has been happening for a while here in Tulsa - unfortunately. What's worse that I hear is that some theives are totally bypassing the cap and drilling a hole in the bottom of your tank to get the gas! Unbelievable, isn't it? Gawd!!!
    I don't even have the words to describe these type people...desperate doesn't even begin to do the job.
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

Given my general level of personal abrasiveness, I worry about people pouring solvent or something in the tank.
    LOL.... are you my husband?!?!?!? Kidding, but we talk about this a lot -- he is a teacher and was a coach, and kids do all kinds of things to his car. And he does have some level of what you call "personal abrasiveness"! I love that term!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBlueNTulsa View Post
    What's worse that I hear is that some theives are totally bypassing the cap and drilling a hole in the bottom of your tank to get the gas!
    I guess the word KABOOM has little meaning to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I guess the word KABOOM has little meaning to them.
    Nope, I doubt it. They're already stealing gas..how smart could they be? These are the same geniuses who steal (or try to steal) copper wire from electric sub-stations, or live A/C units by people's houses.
    Not too smart. However, according to our local news, many have "gotten'r done".
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

We just had gas stolen out of our generator at our vacation cabin. They cut the neighbors hose and used it to syphon the gas. We left the generator empty when we left this time. I just hope they don't try to break into the shed looking for more gas!

It got me thinking about DH's truck which has a 36 gallon tank and is parked in our driveway since it won't fit in the garage. We just filled it yesterday and it was $130.00 and the tank wasn't even empty. At $4.30 a gallon, I guess we really should look at a locking gas cap since people are getting so desperate that they are resorting to stealing gas.