Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

more and more bikes out there.....

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this has been mentioned already, but....
    Geez, I am seeing so MANY more people on their bikes lately around our rural village area. And they are not 'roadies' in spandex- they are just all different regular folks, from teens to old people, and lots of them with either a backpack or with plastic crates strapped to their bikes for errands.
    It's SO COOL.

The more bikes there are on the roads, the more cars will have to accept their presence.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am seeing the same thing here in suburban Utah too.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Me, too! But we had lots of invisible cyclists because of the chicken processing plant in the area, too.

Yesterday one of my roadie friends and fellow board member on the youth baseball league rode his mountain bike to the park instead of driving. He said he was inspired by me!

Another guy in the league who is a student at the local uni has been riding lots of bikes for a while. He's been buying great old bikes on Ebay and making them useable, and then he USES them. lol.

Karen

our invisible cyclists are a fast growing population for sure! every time i see a new one I smile or say hi.
    I want them to know that THEY are US.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I had to run a quick errand from work by bike today (middle of the morning). A woman called to me as I was riding and she was walking on the sidewalk. She wanted to know what kind of bike I was riding and how much I paid for it. She said it looked so cute and that I made it look easy to ride. I said it was easy! Unfortunately, I had to explain that my bike is an old Schwinn mixte from the 70's that I bought off craigslist. She asked if I did my own work on it and I said yes but that any bike shop could also have done it. She wanted to know about the maker, the gearing and the comfort of the bike, so I got the idea she had already been shopping around. She said she was going to check out craigslist this afternoon.

No one has ever asked me about my road or touring bike. Just the cute little upright, basket on the front, mixte gets questions. The new cyclists out there are doing it for purpose...and I think that's a GREAT thing.

Unfortunately, it was about 2 hours later when it dawned on me that I'm planing on selling this bike in a month and I should have gotten her name! Duh!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Talking Whoooo wooooo!

Same here south of Seattle . . . I see a lot more bikes lately! I saw a bunch yesterday! It's great!

yup - here too in Fort Collins - even in Laramie, Wy! (can you believe it?!) - I love it!

I would not say that I have really seen a great increase. Perhaps because its over 100 degrees most days. I have heard/seen/or know of a few people that have started bike/bus combos or just riding to work in general.

I guess for me, if gas stays up as high as it is now or even higer through the Fall, then I might see more cyclists. By this time it wont be over 100 either.

This is in Southern Utah

Red Rock

Yep, noticed it here too.

In fact, in the last few months, at least 6 or 7 (including myself!) have started commuting to work via bike.

I think for a lot of people $4 was the tipping point for them. I like to think that we regular riders are ambassadors to new riders that look at us and say, "Maybe it really ISN'T that hard or impossible. Maybe I can do this too." Keep riding and maybe we'll actually get to see that level of acceptance we're seeking. It's definitely an exciting time to be riding to me.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

the sad reality is, in Europe, the cost of gas is about double what we are paying. and they have serious traffic jams. In cars. we're having sticker shock right now, but we'll (most of us) get used to it and keep driving.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    the sad reality is, in Europe, the cost of gas is about double what we are paying. and they have serious traffic jams. In cars. we're having sticker shock right now, but we'll (most of us) get used to it and keep driving.

Yes, if the prices stay where they are. If they keep going up, more and more people will be out on bikes. It's getting to where EVERYTHING is getting more expensive (we were just notified that our garbage collection is going up in price).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    But there are also many times as many bikes being ridden in Europe as here.

If food keeps getting higher and higher, and clothing, and gas, utilities, medical costs, etc....but riding a bike remains a relatively FREE means of transportation, errand running, commuting, and exercise, you will still see more and more riders- regardless of anyone getting used to sticker shock or not. There is only so much money that the average person has and can spend.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amen, sistahs, amen. I am waiting until Wednesday to get my picture taken for my Eco Pass and totally don't want to drive to work tomorrow, but my monthly pass for June dies today. I may borrow the roommates 40lb POS and ride to work because I don't have to be until late anyway.

It's so funny because most of my coworkers drive and they seem to almost pity me for walking .3 miles from the bus stop. I have a nice truck, I pay insurance to let it sit in the driveway. I just figure since my legs work it won't kill me to walk! I walk my dogs twice a day, walk to the corner store, grocery store, and if and when the beast of burden that is my bike is done I'm sure I'll take her everywhere.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

My local paper ran a full page article on bike commuting - front page of the "living" section. And it was locally produced instead of running a story off the AP wire service. Pretty much followed a couple of folks who bike commute, but did offer tips on bikes, stuff you'd need (paniers, place to change at work, water bottles, tool kit, HELMET, etc), and how happy these featured bike commuters like their commute. The article didn't touch on the lack of bike lanes, potholes the size of small cars, lack of respect from drivers - the things that sent me back to being a cager.

I want to bike commute to work, but the survival gene is just too strong. I do ride my cruiser around the neighborhood, and run local errands on it - because I can stay OFF the busy roads. But my range is limited by canals and railroad tracks.
    Beth