Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Repairing or replacing a chamois

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there.
    DH bought a cool pair of Biemme bib shorts that he really likes - the fit, the fabric...and the color and design are awesome with the LBS Velo Club's current jersey.
    However, he HATES the chamois. The stitching along the side cuts into him. He can't even get out of the house without them bothering him (I tried on the shorts and can attest to the irritation). He's had them sitting around for a while, worn twice for purely scientific purposes. He can't really return them (even if we could find the receipt).
    So we thought of taking them to a seamstress and having the pad re-stiched or replaced or something.
    Any idea on how to go about doing this?? Has anyone repaired or replaced a chamois in shorts??
    Thanks.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Does he used chamois cream? Try some applied directly to the chamois, especially to the seam where it chafes, and to his, um, nether regions.

for some stitching butters wont help
    i have a pair of biemme shorts (i'm giving them away check out the free stuff area)

the stitching is brutal...
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I haven't sewed anything in years but I was thinking what if you just sewed again around the edges of the chamois and then pulled out the original stitching?

I'm assuming you can see the "evil" stitching. I would use cotton-wrapped polyester thread. Matching colour for the outside and, in order to differentiate from the original thread, a contrasting colour inside.

If I remember correctly, when you sew stretchy fabric, you have to pull it a bit as it goes through the sewing machine. (Front and back at the same time so the part under the needle is taut).

It couldn't hurt to try, or explain to a seamstress what you're looking for, as they sound unwearable at the moment.

Good luck.

I remember seeing these folks advertise somewhere.
    http://www.tbaycc.ca/hiddenbay.html

You can also buy a variety of pads from here:
    http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/cycling_crotch_pads.htm

I know I don't have the skills to sew on lycra and lycra doesn't like to be sewn too many times to correct mistakes. I'd take it to a professional seamstress or talk to Irulan.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

oh, hooray! This "crotch pad" link will help me turn my Shebeest Shindiggers into the perfect riding pants! THANK YOU!

Ball point needle, triple stitch zig zag, Unless you have a serger that does "cover stitch." Maybe stretch the fabric but not the chamois just a bit as you're sewing...

Couldn't hurt to play with an old yukky pair of shorts to perfect the technique!

Karen in Boise

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Hi...thanks for the info and the links.
    I gave away my sewing maching to Salvation Army (darned it!), but I don't think my sewing skills were EVER up to the challenge of lycra. Fortunately, there's a good seamstress right down the street from us.
    I'm not sure if the stitching is the issue or the pad itself. It may be worth a new pad.....
    Thanks!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

You can get replacement pads from Kucharik too. I went a little nuts a while back and got one of each kind they sell that I thought might possibly work for me.