Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Quick Trip to Cape Cod

To disable ads, please log-in.

We scheduled a week day trip to the Cape to celebrate the beginning of summer. Now, the Cape isn't the best place to ride (tourists, a lot of older drivers, traffic), but since it's not quite high tourist season, we decided to take both road and hybrid bikes. We stayed at a great B and B in S. Harwich, right near the bike trail, in a residential area not populated by tourists. It's called Cobblestone Cottage , for anyone who is interested.
    Our first day we asked for an early (7:30) breakfast so we could ride early. We set out at about 8:15 and it was hot and HUMID. There had been thunder showers our whole trip down the day before. First, we rode across the Cape, to the other side of Rt. 28. We actually rode on Rt. 28 for about a mile, but thankfully, the traffic wasn't bad. We then headed up Lower County Rd. to Dennisport, where we spent many summers with the kids. We stopped at the beach and hung out for awhile and then made our way back across the highway. I remembered a way to the bike trail that didn't involve traffic, so we got on the trail for about 8 miles and then got off sort of near the B and B. We rode for awhile, got lost, and got back to the place totally soaked in sweat! We did about 25 miles. I am so not used flat riding! But the humidity really got to me and my asthma was starting up a little. We spent the rest of the day antique shopping, eating, and buying fudge at the Chatham Candy Manor.
    Day two was an absolutely gorgeous New England day; blue clear skies, no humidity, and a temperature of about 78. We packed up our panniers and got on our Jamis Codas and got on the bike trail. We rode to the end in Wellfleet and stopped at the National Seashore where we sat on a bench and watched the surf for awhile. Then we headed back where we stopped to eat lunch in Orleans, checked out a bike shop, and stopped again in Brewster by Pleasant Lake, for ice cream. We too some pictures, but I will have to post them later. I have to admit, this was really fun. I am not a bike trail person, but since it was the middle of the week and not quite tourist season, the trail was busy, but not crazy. Everyone was well behaved, but we saw quite a few characters riding, a lot of commuters, and some guy who crashed which necessitated an ambulance getting on the trail (). We had to stop for that. One thing I noticed was that all of the people on road bikes had I-pods on and only one person passed us the whole time, even though we were going fairly slow. A very fun day and 46.5 miles on the Jamis.
    On Thursday we decided to take a short ride when we woke up and then have breakfast and leave. It was humid again and the minute I got out there, I knew I shouldn't have ridden that day... by the time I got back my throat was burning and my chest didn't feel too good either. Oh well. It was worth it to get in some more flat riding, even if it was only 12 miles. There aren't too many times I have an average of 16 or more.
    So, even though this wasn't wasn't a cycling trip, we managed to have a fun time with our bikes, eat a lot of good food, and relax.

I'm so glad you had a great time on the Cape. Sounds like you spent some time on my favorite bench at Marconi overlooking the surfers and beachgoers. That's the favorite part of my ride when I ride down Cape. If you want to do some hill work next time, go to the end of the rail trail and then follow Ocean Drive through Wellfleet and continue to Truro and Provincetown. The hills in Wellfleet and Truro are a lot of fun, and beautiful.

I love the Cape!

We go every summer for two weeks in August. I have been going for over 50 years now. It can be quite crowded, but still absolutely beautiful.

Like you, I bring my road bike and my comfort bike. The Dennis trail is my favorite - you were on it during some of your weekend. It starts in Dennis and ends in Wellfleet. I always do it on my comfort bike and from beginning to end, and back again, is over 60 miles. Just beautiful!!!

I'm so glad that you had fun at one of my favorite places in the whole wide world.

Lynette

I used to go every summer for 2 weeks to a month with my kids and as a child I spent the whole summer in West Yarmouth. But, since we started riding, we find that we are seeking out different places. We now do a 4 day weekend to the Berkshires every year, with challenging riding and beautiful scenery. We also do a weekend in the White Mountains. I find that I don't have the patience for sitting on the beach all day and I get antsy without being able to do longer rides. So 4 days was a perfect amount of time at the Cape. We always make it to the Cape, for at least one night, but I decided that I didn't want to turn into my parents and do the same thing every year!