Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    somewhere between the Red & Rio Grande
    Posts
    5,295

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Do they not use normal crank sets and brifters? That would be the things to pirate from the Cannondale. I am seriously considering this for next summer but it is DH's bonus so he gets to call how to spend it and he fancies a travel trailer (as do I). Even though he always says "we are married it is our money".
    Amanda

    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"


    You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Do they not use normal crank sets and brifters? That would be the things to pirate from the Cannondale. I am seriously considering this for next summer but it is DH's bonus so he gets to call how to spend it and he fancies a travel trailer (as do I). Even though he always says "we are married it is our money".
    I'm thinking the chainrings and cogs are different, but you'd really need to call them to get the story right, as I only pay half-attention to these things. I found them to be very nice and patient with my questions.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    somewhere between the Red & Rio Grande
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I'm thinking the chainrings and cogs are different, but you'd really need to call them to get the story right, as I only pay half-attention to these things. I found them to be very nice and patient with my questions.
    I will as soon as DH warms to the idea. He likes travelling so we are half there.
    Amanda

    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"


    You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,516
    The cranks are normal. The brifters are normal. The only funky thing you can opt for is the rear hub/cog set. To get a great top end range, there's a product called a capreo hub. It has a 9 tooth cog on it. To use the cassette, you have to use the hub. It's available from other places (it's a shimano part), but it's the only really strange component on mine.

    CA

    PS - For those who don't know, Bike Friday does a referral program. If someone helps you decide, you can give BF their name and they get a gift cert when you purchase Since we have lots of helpful Bike Friday owners on here (Tulip!!), thought those looking at purchasing might want to know.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pendleton, OR
    Posts
    782
    Another cool thing about Bike Friday is that they will work with your LBS even if they aren't BFriday dealers. That was a great help to me, as I needed my local guy's input on some components. Also then I don't mind calling on him to help me if I have a problem. BF gives them like a "finder's fee" for helping a customer. And then when it was shipped to my LBS, I had help putting it all together. As for components I even went down to Sora with the idea I could upgrade later on. I think it's a great company. They even worked with my LBS even though I was in Eugene and went by to have them do all the measurements to be sure it was spot on. Then my LBS actually ordered it for me.

    And Tulip is right--they are super nice on the phone and very helpful.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,516
    For anybody who's thinking about one - they're doing a "Black Friday" 15% off deal through tonight at midnight - all black bikes. Just FYI:-)

    CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    The cranks are normal.
    Not always. Because of the small wheels, often a larger "big crank" is used. My Friday has a "tandem" crankset, which has a 53-tooth big ring. My DH, who is a really strong rider, has a humongous 62-tooth big ring! I think his other two rings are larger than normal too (mine are standard -- 42-30). We both have XT mountain gearing in the back for loaded touring, rather than a road crankset.

    Just another datapoint!
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Not always. Because of the small wheels, often a larger "big crank" is used. My Friday has a "tandem" crankset, which has a 53-tooth big ring. My DH, who is a really strong rider, has a humongous 62-tooth big ring! I think his other two rings are larger than normal too (mine are standard -- 42-30). We both have XT mountain gearing in the back for loaded touring, rather than a road crankset.

    Just another datapoint!
    Interesting - I thought they had stopped doing that with the advent of the Capreo cassette. Hmmm...food for thought.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,203
    I just told Walter at BF what my gearing is on my Luna, and he took it from there. Of course, it wasn't that simple because my Luna has a compact double and my Friday has a triple, but we got a spread that works for me just fine.

    About my white bike--I love how it looks, but it does show dirt, and more importantly, grease. Folding and unfolding results in the chain coming off (unless you're really good at it) and the white bike shows more grease than some people might like. I like black bikes. My partner got a black one (but don't pay extra for the Black Diamond--it's more of a dark grey. The stock Black Ink is really black).

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Interesting - I thought they had stopped doing that with the advent of the Capreo cassette. Hmmm...food for thought.
    Yeah, I guess that a standard crankset is used with a Capreo cassette. However, we didn't want the Capreo (which they did have even back in early 2004, when we ordered our Fridays) as we both wanted that 34t huge XT cassette in back for steep climbs while fully loaded. On our upstate NY unsupported tour, I did have occasion to use my 30t ring in the front with that 34 in the back several times since I was hauling four panniers, two racks, a Tailrider, and a front bag up some VERY steep hills. The hills around the Finger Lakes make our hills here in the Piedmont of NC look like the gentle rollers that they are!

    For unloaded riding, I agree that a standard crankset and Capreo cogset would be just fine, but we bought our bikes specifically for loaded touring. Unfortunately, we've only done the one tour, but hauling a heavy load of groceries has also warranted use of mountain gearing!
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    About my white bike--I love how it looks, but it does show dirt, and more importantly, grease. Folding and unfolding results in the chain coming off (unless you're really good at it) and the white bike shows more grease than some people might like. I like black bikes. My partner got a black one (but don't pay extra for the Black Diamond--it's more of a dark grey. The stock Black Ink is really black).
    Agreed completely -- my white bike shows grease and dirt really easily. It's really nice when clean, but black is certainly more practical.

    I've never been known for being practical.
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Posts
    217
    Here's my Birdy!







    And on some of my business trips:

    Singapore


    Calgary


    Cambridge, MA


    St. Louis

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,763
    msincredible, your birdy is just darling! Thanks for posting the great photos!
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,203
    Great new bike MsIncredible! I love the color! Looks like you're having fun exploring together.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •