Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    And Emily's bike is adorable - it was really adorable as she zoomed off on a ride (her first after her fracture) and left me in the dust - with me on a road bike
    Aw, thanks, CA! I haven't had any problems with my (upgraded) paint, but I got mine in 2004 -- wonder if they are using different paint now? I'm so sorry to hear that you're having chipping problems. I sure did with my Aegis, but not the Friday.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Jaclyn View Post
    Here's a photo of my Princess Pink Petite Cruscoe Bike Friday in Ireland a few months ago. I bought her back in 2004 and have logged 5,400 miles on her on various tours in the US, Italy, Ireland, Cambodia, and more.
    What a darling bike and such a perfect background for the color!

I am so envious. I bought my Petite Crusoe in 2004 also and since our upstate NY tour in fall of 2004, all she's done is local rides. Sure wish I could say that I'd ridden all over like you! Maybe someday...
    Emily

I tried to convince DH we needed Fridays after reading about Phil Liggett's love of his. We will get them one day but not anytime soon. They are just so cute and practical for our travelling lives.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    My white one feels left out of the fun!!!

Mine's white, too, so OF COURSE, yours goes without saying.

I also like the Downtubes and Dahons. I considered a SpeedPro several years ago but ended up with a Dahon Matrix instead. I should have gotten the SpeedPro, though. I would love to see a Brompton in person and ride one, but so far I've only seen photos.

Jaclyn, you should have on a pink outfit standing by the pink Friday and the pink flowers. So pretty.....

And, Emily, yours is quite colorful with the bar tape, pedals, and bags. You can have a different color scheme for each season!
    Last edited by Aint Doody; 11-21-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Folders are soooo cool! Now I want one after seeing all your great bikes. I love the versatility. Maybe one day.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

hmm

odd question..are folders the type of bikes that students at uni would want to steal? I will be biking to uni when the semester starts & am looking at purchasing some sort of bike.

I could paint my current roadie odd colours & use it. That means getting a new bike

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    odd question..are folders the type of bikes that students at uni would want to steal?
    Definitely. Triskeliongirl on this forum had her blue Bike Friday stolen off a college campus a few years back. No bikes seem to be immune from being stolen, sadly.
    Emily

I just got an email from Bike Friday that says if you order one before Dec. 5th , you can get $400 off! That's significant. Some of y'all that were thinking about it might take a look. www.bikefriday.com or 800-777-0258.

That is great Doody, now I only need about $2400-400 to be in my couch.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Champagne tastes, huh!

I went more onto the cheap side as much as possible when I got mine.

Well I want a mountain goat. My dream is to have a climbing machine for a folder so I can go on vacation and ride. I rarely vacation in the flatlands. Then I can put a compact double on my Cannondale and zip along the Jollyville Plateau I live on.
    Amanda

I went the Champagne route, but the moderate Champagne route. I knew that I could change the components if I wanted down the road, but I could not change the frame. So I compromised. I got the nicest frame (this bike will be with me for decades, just like my Luna) and got the 105 components.

I did splurge on the paint, but really, at this point, $100 more made no difference. Result: Pocket Rocket Pro with 105. The bar-end shifters are cheaper than the integrated shifters, but that's not why I got them (I prefer bar ends).

This, of course, meant that I could not get a kayak this year, and probably not next year. If my Luna could have couplers put in it, I might have gone that route, but it can't. But I'm so happy to have my little bike and travel case because I can go places with it.

You know my thought was to just take the 105 triple on my road bike to build up my climber then put a compact Ultegra or SRAM on my Cannondale. Leaving the rear on the Cannondale because I want my climbing bike to be set up with mountain gearing so I can't use my entire drivetrain. If I did that I could get a Friday for about $1500 with Sora and swap around parts. Or even better, I could contact Friday tell them my intent and see what they can do. I want drop bars, I want STI (I think). Right now it is all just a pipe dream, I should start saving though because a Friday makes sense as a travel bike and a frame with couplers is $2,000+. We have our eye on a RV as the next big purchase but my parents have one we can borrow so maybe we should get travel bikes next summer. It makes more sense.

Tulip- Did you have the build to order for you? Was it a good experience?
    Amanda

The gearing on Fridays is different to accommodate the wheel size, so I don't think that the drivetrain from your old bike will work. I'm not sure about this, but if you call them, they will tell you all you need to know.

I had them build it for me based on the measurements of my Luna. They were great to work with--very patient as I kept changing my mind about things. In the winter they build faster since there are fewer orders. I got mine in about 4 weeks, but usually it's longer than that by a few weeks.

While it was alot of money to spend, I'm grateful that I could swing it. I could not have taken my Luna to France with me, and that was a very important trip for me to take with a bike (my first long bike trip was through France when I was 15, and my ex-husband is French and so it was important for me to go there on my own terms to deal with all that baggage, yaddayaddayadda).

I've also brought my Bike Friday with me in my little car on other bike trips and even on work trips when I was able to squeeze in a bike ride here and there while out of town.