Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

No tandems in our stable, DH hates the idea. But I told DH about an hour ago since I don't want to convert my Cannondale to mountain gearing exclusively I want a Bike Friday for traveling and to be my mountain goat. He flipped at the idea! We really missed having something to ride when we went to California (last time we flew) and really want to do more vacations outside of driving distance so this is a great idea. My wish list grows everytime I read TE, I better stop shopping vicariously through you guys!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

By the way, I ordered a Click Stand for my Friday. Do y'all know about them? I already had one for my regular ride. Click Stands are light, folding kickstands that you can shove into your jersey pocket when you won't be able to find a place to lean your bike and don't want to lay it on the ground. You order them online and they're made specifically for your bicycle.

Susan
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've taken my Bike Friday on a plane twice--to and from France last May. I had no problem with TSA. I packed my bike in the softcase and put that in the hard case. I taped a notice to TSA on the inside of the hard case, something to the effect of, "This is a folding bike. It has been taken apart for transport and packed with great care. If you need to inspect it, kindly pack it back as carefully as possible." I also left my cell phone number for them to call if they had any questions. I had one notice in English and one in French, since I was traveling to France. Along with the notice, I also taped a series of photos of the bike in the case so they could see how it was packed.

The trip had one domestic leg and one international leg each way. The bikes were not disturbed on any leg of the trip, going or coming. It was on Delta/Air France.

Here is a photo of the case all packed up with the notices and photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF packed closed 2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	7939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF packed open 1.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	7940  

Pay attention to weight

I made the mistake of trying to pack my clothes in with my bike. That made my case too heavy and I had to pay the overweight charge of $75 each way (nothing to do with a bike charge--just over 50lbs). Next time I will keep my clothes separate (in a larger carryon than I had).

Yeah - I had a note in my case too. Basically, I explained what it was, gave basic packing directions and a cell phone number, and asked them to be careful. I also put cell numbers in it. I think we must have gotten someone in San Diego in a bad mood

I doubt having it in the travel bag would have made a difference - but I might try it next time I might also put the tools and pedals in another bag so if they do it again, there's less chance of damage. I get the feeling they really wanted to see what was under the packing materials, and didn't want to take the time to put it back.

Bike (including Schmidt hub) + Packing Materials + Shoes = ~46 pounds. I carried my Arkel Tail Rider in my other suitcase because it made it too heavy.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    By the way, I ordered a Click Stand for my Friday. Do y'all know about them? I already had one for my regular ride. Click Stands are light, folding kickstands that you can shove into your jersey pocket when you won't be able to find a place to lean your bike and don't want to lay it on the ground. You order them online and they're made specifically for your bicycle.
    We got the regular Bike Friday kickstands for our Crusoes. They do add weight, but we felt that with loaded panniers (for touring or grocery runs), we'd need something really sturdy. Not sure if click stands would be up to the job, but maybe?? The kickstands we got would definitely be overkill for unloaded bikes, but we aren't weight weenies these days...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I think it entirely depends on the TSA person and what they had for breakfast that day. We happened to get lucky on our trip, but I will assume that there will be some unpacking on future trips. We're driving to Louisiana for Cycle Zydeco, but we're talking about Italy for next summer. We'll see how it goes.

I wanna go with you, Tulip!

And, Emily, Tom with Click-Stand shows a picture of a loaded bike and even tandems. They're pretty sturdy. I like the fact that I can take a Click-Stand with me if I want to. I don't need it on each ride. I just use it when there's a big group with lotsa bikes around.
    Last edited by Aint Doody; 11-18-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    I wanna go with you, Tulip!
    See you in Louisiana! As for Italy, right now I'm hoping, but given the relative emptiness of my pockets these days whatwith the house renovation and all, it might not happen.

Your green bike is good looking! So's the raspberry one! And CA's purple one, and CA's hubby's orange one (it is orange, right?)! I have yet to meet a Bike Friday that I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Your green bike is good looking! So's the raspberry one! And CA's purple one, and CA's hubby's orange one (it is orange, right?)! I have yet to meet a Bike Friday that I don't like.
    My white one feels left out of the fun!!!

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    My white one feels left out of the fun!!!

I personally dig the blue bar tape. Then you get bored and go purple or green or orange or spotted.

Candies pedals come in a variety of colors so you don't even have to mess that up.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I personally dig the blue bar tape. Then you get bored and go purple or green or orange or spotted.

Candies pedals come in a variety of colors so you don't even have to mess that up.
    Thanks, and actually I have Speedplay pedals on my bike now, so don't have to worry about pedal clash. However, I also have a blue Lady Gel Flo saddle now and all the red Arkel bags, so I probably wouldn't go for purple or orange bar tape, but red would be cool. Still, I'm kinda partial to the blue I have on there now. I didn't really intend to go so patriotic, but once it all came together, I liked it. It was a nice contrast to the raspberry Aegis road bike I had at the time.

I love everyone else's Friday colors too! Agonizing over my color choice was about the toughest part of my Friday order....
    Emily

For anyone else considering one - I wouldn't pay for the upgraded paint again...

Mine has to be re-painted because the paint is literally peeling off and was when I got it (BF has agreed to do this for free), but I really didn't think about the fact that it would be going in and out of a case. For me, at least, it would have been better to have base paint I'd worry less about

And Emily's bike is adorable - it was really adorable as she zoomed off on a ride (her first after her fracture) and left me in the dust - with me on a road bike

CA

Introducing Pinkette

Here's a photo of my Princess Pink Petite Cruscoe Bike Friday in Ireland a few months ago. I bought her back in 2004 and have logged 5,400 miles on her on various tours in the US, Italy, Ireland, Cambodia, and more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3641.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	7953  

Jaclyn - How adorable!!!

I actually discovered the company many years ago when I was in law school and DH was supposed to have a conference in Ireland. The conference organizer went belly-up, and we didn't get to go to the conference. I sadly still haven't gotten to go to Ireland, but I finally did get the bike!

I, for one, would LOVE to hear more about your travels!

CA