Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Car ignition key warning-read if you drive a new one!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband misplaced the key to our 2008 Pilot in Sedona. This is one of those fancy keys that opens/locks doors, etc. WARNING - you MUST have those made at a dealership. They have a computer chip that must be calibrated. Home Depot can't do it.

My tale of woe - we had the car towed to Flagstaff (nearest dealership) and they ended up replacing the entire ignition system because they didn't know how to handle this. It's a small dealership - but still. They kept it overnight & didn't start to work on it until we got there at 11:00 AM the next day (after telling us we'd be on our way first thing in the morning...grrrr). And they still haven't sent us the $200 they promised to pay for the tow bill.

A couple weeks later - the car won't start. Somehow, the calibrated key got "uncalibrated" and I had to take it to a dealership here. I had several extra keys made and will keep them in the car, my purse - heck - maybe I'll make a pendant out of one.

So the moral of the story - make sure you have spare keys when you go out. Stupidly, I didn't bring the extra keys because "it's impossible to lock the keys in the car." Plus, I had to spend an extra day in Sedona on vacation. Hard to get sympathy from that one.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

My Honda was like this. You can lock it if you hold the drivers side door handle up from the outside and then hit the automatic lock, but it takes effort and would still keep you form lockign the keys in your car.
    At least my Honda was that way, not sure if yours will work that way.

Anyway, point is, I was always worried about losing that key, and they told me when I bought the car that if I dropped it repeatedly or knocked it around a lot, that could mess it up to make it not work too.

Another thing that I found out later, was that when my battery started going bad in the car, my key would not always work to start it. We figured this one out on our own. We kept getting that little key light in the dash and the car wouldn't start, but if you took it out and tried again it would work.
    We finally replaced the battery just because it was getting sluggish about starting and that fixed all problems with the key.
    Donna

Every sence I locked the key's in our car once while working out of town I have always had a spare in my hotel room and when we get a rental dh always gives me the spare key to keep.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Another note:
    My Focus will automatically lock itself after 30 minutes.
    The other thing I was told after buying a battery was that jumps starting certain cars ( like mine ) will ruin the electronics.
    Makes me wish for the Duster I had in HS.
    Last edited by Fredwina; 06-24-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Oh wow, I had a Duster in High School !

Actually, it was a Scamp. Same diff.

Actually it was my parents' car. Not quite the same diff.

ahh yes. half vinyl roof (which cost less than a full one ), 8 -tracks, and vinyl seats . maybe I'll keep my 2003 ride instead of the 1973 one
    Last edited by Fredwina; 06-25-2008 at 05:37 AM.

LOL I had one too! 1st car I ever bought. Turned out to be a real piece of..... well I had a lot of repair bills on that sucker. IT was a great color - blue though.

Quote Originally Posted by DDH View Post
    My Honda was like this. You can lock it if you hold the drivers side door handle up from the outside and then hit the automatic lock, but it takes effort and would still keep you form lockign the keys in your car.
    At least my Honda was that way, not sure if yours will work that way.

Anyway, point is, I was always worried about losing that key, and they told me when I bought the car that if I dropped it repeatedly or knocked it around a lot, that could mess it up to make it not work too.

Another thing that I found out later, was that when my battery started going bad in the car, my key would not always work to start it. We figured this one out on our own. We kept getting that little key light in the dash and the car wouldn't start, but if you took it out and tried again it would work.
    We finally replaced the battery just because it was getting sluggish about starting and that fixed all problems with the key.
    Our 96 Honda Civic cannot be locked from the outside without the key. The driver's door lock will not go down unless the door is shut. You have to use the key.

Our 07 Honda Element CAN be locked with the manual lock, and the door shut without pulling on the handle! I found out the almost hard way (I was at home, so had a spare key.) I owned it for a year before I found this out--all that time I was thinking that the boy could never lock the keys in accidentally. Wrongo!

It also locks itself 30 seconds after you hit the button on the key fob, if you don't open a door before then.

The key fob does not work while the key is in the ignition. I don't remember now why I tried it.

Karen

Hmmm, I'm just now thinking about buying a Honda CR-V. Wonder if they have the same issues? Anybody know?
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu View Post
    Hmmm, I'm just now thinking about buying a Honda CR-V. Wonder if they have the same issues? Anybody know?
    Yup. All new cars have this magic key. I'd get the dealership to throw in a couple of extra keys with the deal!

BTW, I recommend the CRV. I looked at it, but it was too small (German Shepherd car) so I bought the Pilot. It's a great car. My DH had a Honda Accord for over 10 years. He's really hard on cars, but this one 'took a lickin' and kept on tickin.'

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    LOL I had one too! 1st car I ever bought. Turned out to be a real piece of..... well I had a lot of repair bills on that sucker. IT was a great color - blue though.
    beats black (with black vinyl seats. real fun in the summer ) with a white roof(some did have some sense)
    Mine was ok except for the suspension almost fell out (It was a rebuilt wreck )
    Back to keys, I got two with my car. I was told that Ford charges $400 apiece

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    BTW, I recommend the CRV. I looked at it, but it was too small (German Shepherd car) so I bought the Pilot.
    Former CR-V turned Element owner here. The E is the best vehicle for german shedders in my opinion.

Our 07 Honda Element CAN be locked with the manual lock, and the door shut without pulling on the handle!
    Out of curiosity I just tried it on my '04 Element and it won't lock unless I pull the handle out while pushing down on the door lock.
    Last edited by sundial; 06-25-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Former CR-V turned Element owner here. The E is the best vehicle for german shedders in my opinion.
    German Shedders - love it! Looked at the Element, but too small. Dog is 85 pounds, plus jumps, obedience equipment and...oh yeah...my luggage. We tie DH to the top. Gotta love the roof rack!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Out of curiosity I just tried it on my '04 Element and it won't lock unless I pull the handle out while pushing down on the door lock.
    That stinks. They must have changed it between 04 and 07. Or mine's broken.

Mine IS broken in a way--it was really windy a couple of weeks ago in Tulsa. I went to the airport to pick up the husband. In the parking lot some guy was getting in his car and the wind ripped his car door out of his hand and dented the E's rear passenger side door. :P I got the estimate today, $1026! whoa.

The guy was going to leave, but I happened to be walking up to the car and saw it happen. He gave me my insurance information. I'm afraid to call him.

K.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Looked at the Element, but too small.
    Huh?

I load my 88 lb gsd, my 75 lb gsd and 70 lb aussie in it (and at one time another 80 lb gsd) and away we go--including hubby in the front and doggie stuff in the back.