Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 1986 Terry?

1986 Terry?

To disable ads, please log-in.

there is a Terry Precision from 1985 or6 for sale for 350. Looks to be in great shape.

It has a 6 speed freewheel and downtube shifters....IS it easy to switch to barcons?

I imagine it is 12 speed if the rear is 6 and the front is a double.

opinions?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

For that price you can get a newer 9spd used terry. I think they went to 9spd around 2000-01. I'd look for a used symetry of that era. Try the buy/sell a used terry link at the terry website.

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    there is a Terry Precision from 1985 or6 for sale for 350. Looks to be in great shape.

It has a 6 speed freewheel and downtube shifters....IS it easy to switch to barcons?

I imagine it is 12 speed if the rear is 6 and the front is a double.

opinions?
    Yes, switching to barcons would be easy. 6-speed freewheels can be found, but don't expect much variety. For a good gear selection, you'd be better off with a freehub that can take 8 or 9 speed cassettes.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

thanks. In 2000 are they still steel frames?

My understanding is that they were all steel (except for Titania which was titanium, and if you find one of those grab it, or tell me about it and I might!) through 2004. In 2005 Isis only was offered in titanium, other models were still steel. 2006 is the year they switched to aluminum (with the exception of Fast Women who has always been steel), bad news, some were even recalled due to frame failures. Then in 2008 she returned to steel for the entire line, which are being manufactured in the waterford factory.

I have owned (2) 2001 steel classics, a 2003 steel Isis, and a 2005 titanium Isis, and they are all 9-spd. What I can't remember is exactly what year they went to 9-spd, it may have been 2000 but not 100% sure. If you have more specific questions on a model you are considering, feel free to PM me.

thanks for the info/offer!

just curious....what's the problem w/12 speeds....do you not get enough range for hills?

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    just curious....what's the problem w/12 speeds....do you not get enough range for hills?
    My commuter is a 12 speed. I've only had it for a short while, but my observation is this: I have similar range of gears, but less variety.

Meaning that the high and low ends are pretty similar to that of my road bike, but I don't have as many options to choose from for fine-tuning to keep a steady cadence. However, when commuting I'm more concerned with watching and negotiating traffic than making sure I'm pedaling at an optimal cadence, so I don't really find this to be a negative. If I were trying to use this particular bike for more distance, I might care more. (Or maybe I wouldn't. I haven't tried, so I can't say.)