Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How does a person have that kind of balance?

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I would fall off my bike,and HAVE fallen off from failure to unclip- but I saw this guy in Lansing who was commuting in a fairly busy area near MSU, and when he got to a stop in a line of traffic, he kept his feet on the pedals and was just balancing on the bike while standing completely still, meaning, bike was not having any movement down the road. I guess I thought it was pretty cool.

It is called a track stand and I am in awe of those who can do it for a long time. I can do it for a very short time. If you search track stand you will find many threads with tips and many people expressing their awe of those who can.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

becca, I saw a roadie doing it on a hill, sideways, at a red light at 7AM last week. I too was in awe.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I've done it for a short time - then it was like something from a roadrunner cartoon where the coyote realizes he's in mid air after running off of a cliff. As soon as I realized I was sitting there completely stopped and perfectly balanced, being all proud of myself, then it was, "oh crud, I need to unclip", I fell and put a nice couple of cuts from the chainring on my leg. I still have the scars - 2 years later! I'm pretty sure they guys in the truck ahead of me are still laughing. I must have looked so stupid falling. Timber!!!...
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I was at a crit earlier this year and a buddy of mine demonstrated how to do a track stand on a road bike - sans hands! We were all like, "Dayum!" We were going to time how long he keep it up, but he stopped after awhile just 'cuz he got bored.

Last edited by Bluetree; 06-23-2008 at 09:30 AM.

I'm really glad some people can do that. I for one, will never try. I do not hope in my wildest dreams to ever be that coordinated. I still walk into walls that have been in existence for 30 years. I can, however, play the flute really well.

I haven't seen no-handed before, but one of my friends can do a one-handed one-footed trackstand. Not for forever, but for a pretty decent time.

I cannot do any sort of trackstand. I wish I could.

i cant trackstand either, i wish i could.

i saw floyd landis one time riding a wheelie no-handed

jackass
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I'm really glad some people can do that. I for one, will never try. I do not hope in my wildest dreams to ever be that coordinated. I still walk into walls that have been in existence for 30 years. I can, however, play the flute really well.
    That made me laugh, because I'm a proficient classical pianist, but am clumsy and uncoordinated at everything else. It baffles my friends and family.

I'm not sure if anyone is baffled by my clumsiness, but it sure has been a source of entertainment for a number of folks!

When ever we go riding and have to wait for traffic to pass, I always have to unclip, yet the BF goes into his amazing track stand and what not, with out even a woble.

But there will come a day when you are looking uber cool chica waiting for the light to turn green and you are doing the track stand. Then inexplicably, you topple over and take your group down like dominos. not so uber cool. Just looks really silly.

Or doing the track stand, then you realize you are doing it. Becoming self aware of this feat usually causes one to topple over. You are going DOWN, you panic and can't get unclipped. You laugh hysterically while laying on the ground. A dweeb. Again not so cool chica.

Just unclip like the rest of the mortals.

smilingcat