June 1

Milton Tri/Du 2k/30k/7.5k

Yep, another cloudy, cold day. I am grateful that I don't have to swim today. Glad I don't have to swim any day. Had my bag packed the night before, prepared for just about anything. Breakfast was cottage cheese, fruit and PB and my obligatory coffee. Site is about 40 minutes from where I live: 5 minutes into drive realized I had forgotten water/electrolyte bottles. Turn around, take some deep breaths. Retrieve bottles.

I had ridden bike course a couple of times, so had been mentally practicing how I would feel, especially up the nasty 1.4k killer hill that is 10 minutes into ride. I felt prepared. Goals for the race: to finish in less than 2 hours improve my bike speed and improve my transition time. My coach implores me to stay on small ring for bike, I oblige. He says it will save my legs for 2nd run. I try to remember that when I am being passed.....

First run goes relatively well. We are running on narrow dirt paths, so passing people is a bit of a chore. Head into transition - mantra: helmet, shoes, bike. I'm off. Have to go over a speed bump to get out of park. I'm going pretty quickly - fly over the bump. About 30 secs later I hear metal clanging. Realize that I had lost bike pump. Oh well, I have CO2 and should have taken the pump out anyway. Bike is going pretty well, am in my HR zone - about 173. I concentrate on pedal stroke technique and shifting gears to take advantage of downhills. Back to transition and off to plough through 7.5 k. Didn't really feel my old self until about 5k, where my breathing evened out and I was able to regulate my cadence. HR 176, still ok. Finished with a smile.

I was very happy to have met my goals: finished in 1:58:36. Bike speed up to 28.3kph (17.5mph) and transitions improved from 1:50 to 1:05. Run paces weren't as fast as I have done previously-5:29/k and 5:35/k. No doubt it was hydration - looked at my bottles and probably could have left them at home for all that I drank during race. Likely affected run paces. There were only 3 people over 50 - so I was 2nd in my age group, I was 17/47 for all women.
A good day.

Report #2 - June 21/08
Guelph Lake 1 2k/20k/5k

Another cloudy day, but a bit warmer..it is the end of June! Goals for this race: Time: between 1:20-1:30. Maintain speed that I did last race, maintain transition times, Improve runs paces.

Even though I had warmed up, those first 2 ks were hard! Bike went fairly well, I had forgotten how hilly this course was. (have done it once before 2 years ago) Heading back there was a fierce, gusty wind. The thing that saved me is that most of my training rides it has been incredibly windy - so no mental barrier there. Getting off of bike I unclipped right and for some reason would not lift my left leg over..I wanted to slap myself for that mental breakdown. Got off my bike without killing myself or maiming others. Scooted past some people, weaving and bobbing...Start 2nd run..oh my I feel sluggish! Try to pump my arms to get cadence up, body will not obey. I settle into sluggish rhythm until body gets it act together..about 4k this time. I had brought myself some jelly beans for a small little boost. Put one into my mouth at about 4k, chew, chew, chew, choke, chew again (so much for that idea, would have been an interesting headline: duathlete chokes on jelly bean 1 km from finish.....)

Time: 1:57:56. met that goal. Speed on bike 28.4kph (maintained from last time), transitions were both under a minute - 55 seconds. First run was 4:43/k pace, but I canned (for me) the second at 5:15/k, Finished 2/10 in my age group.

So overall, I did well. Am only mildly sore today - will go for a small recovery ride later on.

No more jelly beans!