Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

To me it's the shocking attitude that without even admitting wrongdoing "well, other people are even worse".

So that means as long as we're not the worst example of any wrong behavior it's ok? I slow at a red light and hit a pedestrian "well, other riders don't even slow down" so that makes it ok.

What part of don't drink and drive don't they understand?

Two people and the lives of all their family and friends are changed forever and it's "well she's not as bad as Suzie or Joe, they don't even have a cuppa coffee first". Does that make these riders any better off that their assailent could have been a little more drunk? Are MM_QFC and her partner a little less injured because some drivers are even more distracted and irresponsible.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    To me it's the shocking attitude that without even admitting wrongdoing "well, other people are even worse".

So that means as long as we're not the worst example of any wrong behavior it's ok? I slow at a red light and hit a pedestrian "well, other riders don't even slow down" so that makes it ok.

What part of don't drink and drive don't they understand?

Two people and the lives of all their family and friends are changed forever and it's "well she's not as bad as Suzie or Joe, they don't even have a cuppa coffee first". Does that make these riders any better off that their assailent could have been a little more drunk? Are MM_QFC and her partner a little less injured because some drivers are even more distracted and irresponsible.
    Can't agree with you all any more than I already do...I've been following the progress (and luckily it IS progress) of these 2 women, as they were hit/hurt soon after I was...it was kinda too close to home, y'know?
    No, I wasn't airlifted away and certainly didn't suffer the severe injuries that both of these CA riders did, but my life has been completely affected by the ditwad driver who hit me, that's for sure. In addition to numerous sprains, strains, lacerations, deep contusions, I suffered a concussion and have a neuro-rehab ALL-DAY (oh joy ) assessment at the UW after I return from providing road support to my rider buddies in the Empire State AIDS ride soon. Yes, I'm grateful to be alive, but I'd rather be riding, as I've always done, thank you very much...
    In my view (which was the same before I was hit as now), EVERY person who gets behind the wheel of any vehicle and drives it out on the road, has the responsibility to operate it with due care, and NOT:
    - be under the influence
    - inattentive/pre-occupied
    - speeding (in addition, she knew that her brakes were bad per her statement to police - sigh )
    - failing to yield to cyclists/pedestrians in a signed, painted crosswalk
    - distracted (on cell phone, reaching into back seat, etc)

the driver who hit me is guilty of ALL of the above...nice, eh? Whew!

I hope you all continue to enjoy safe, fun rides!
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

My husband (soon to be preceeded with ex) is a CHP sgt. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for them to see this when it's in a bike lane. A BIKE LANE! He has been to several accidents involving bicyclists where it involved riding the white line, but when it's something as blatant as this, it is worse. Here is a lane that is supposed to give cars their full lane and bicyclists safe in their own lane. Money was spent to do this.

Added to that, what is a teenager doing driving drunk during the day????

If I have drank even two sips of wine I refuse to drive. I just don't drink. I have probably driven all of 3 times with half a beer in me. And I know I'm not drunk, I just don't take the chance. I've been awaken too many times in the middle of the night from DUI accidents to know that it's just something that isn't worth flirting with. I think those "Bloody Asphalt" movies in high school convinced me of that. Do they do the "Every 15 seconds" things in El Dorado Hills? They do up at the lake, and I think it helped kids realize they need to take driving and drinking seriously...but there are always those few that just don't *get it*

I hope the two cyclists make a full recovery...

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    And forced to become a court-ordered cyclist. Sell the car, give the money to the victims as partial restitution.
    Ah, BM - restoritive justice in a way... I like. Meaningful consequences... I vote you for head of our justice system!

Any word on the recovery - is Kathi Sturgeon making any progress?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    Any word on the recovery - is Kathi Sturgeon making any progress?
    You can keep up with how she's doing here:

http://kathisturgeon.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that Michele

I remember reading about the ladies...My prayers are with them.
    I almost lost my folks to some stupid a** driving from one party to another. He of course thought he was fine to drive. Neighbors said the fumes were pouring out of the car he was so drunk.
    0 tolerance is just fine by me.

Angry UPDATE -- Woman Who Hit Cyclists Avoids Prison Term

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto......805&catid=2

Woman Who Hit Cyclists Avoids Prison Term
    Posted By: Mark Hedlund

PLACERVILLE, CA - The 19-year-old who was DUI when she hit and severely injured two women bicyclists in El Dorado Hills last summer has taken a plea bargain to keep her from going to state prison.

Brandi Thomas took the deal last week in a Placerville courtroom, pleading guilty to one count of driving under the influence and guilty to two enhancements of causing great bodily injury, according to her attorney, John Campanella.

Thomas was driving north on El Dorado Hills Boulevard in mid-morning on June 18, 2008, when she drifted into the bike lane and plowed into Kathi Sturgeon and Katherine Hurd from behind as they rode their bicycles. Both women were critically injured, with Sturgeon, 48, suffering head injuries and Hurd, 43, recovering from a fractured back.

"It's going to affect the remainder of their lives," said El Dorado County Deputy District Attorney Worth Dikeman. Sturgeon, he said, is still unable to return to work because of her injuries.

Despite the severe injuries, Dikeman said he also has to take into consideration the mitigating facts surrounding Thomas.

"She's young, she has no criminal record and she cooperated. She waited for police after it happened," said Dikeman.

Sturgeon and Hurd are both residents of El Dorado Hills and are members of the Bodacious Biking Babes cycling team, a women's group that bikes in various charity events. At the time of the crash, they were training for a 200-mile ride over two days in July from Seattle to Portland, according to friends.

Under terms of the agreement, Thomas will be sentenced to one year in El Dorado County jail and five years probation. A prison sentence of seven years will be suspended, according to her attorney. "She'll have that seven years hanging over her head if she does anything wrong," said Campanella.

Thomas will also be ordered to pay restitution but the amount hasn't yet been determined, according to Dikeman.

The criminal case was on the verge of going to trial when the plea agreement was reached. Thomas, also an El Dorado Hills resident, remains free on bail pending her formal sentencing.

I also have no problem with zero tolerance.... I don't care how young you are or how much you managed to get away with it before you got in trouble (yes I do believe that drunk driving is *never* an isolated incident... the person has likely done it before and just did not get into an accident before...).

Even if there is no jail time or anything else, if someone is killed or substantially injured because a driver was drunk, inattentive, or reckless there should be no drivers license issued to the person who caused it, ever again - never, ever, never. Accidents are accidents... if you slide on black ice, have a mechanical problem that causes an accident or have a fender bender, fine - those things happen. If you can't respect that a car is a deadly weapon and kill someone I have no pity for you.

You can survive without a car. I've seen too much proof that these drives don't reform. If they get caught driving without a license, throw them in jail.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

This is just heartbreaking - I hope the cyclists have recovered some by now? Teenagers---and not just teens--it's common for adults too---will continue to drink and drive unless the consequences are more of a deterrent---like first time DUI mandatory 5 years in jail instead of a fine and some classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    You can survive without a car. I've seen too much proof that these drives don't reform. If they get caught driving without a license, throw them in jail.
    Or put them on a bike, required to wear a jersey that says "court ordered cyclist"

I'm wondering, there's MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.

Why not BADDDDDD, Bikers Against Drunk Distracted Downright Dangerous Dumb Drivers?

Bikers could include cyclists and motorcyclists, we're both vulnerable.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I wish the two ladies best of recovery.
    Last edited by smilingcat; 03-25-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: no need to air "dirty political views"