Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A little to lose

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just started cycling for the first time this week. I have about 10 lbs to lose. Anyone have suggestions for a workout routine? or diet? Thanks

One of the consistent recommendations for those looking to permanently lose weight is to make lasting lifestyle changes. As such, I would suggest that you not think of it as a "diet" or "exercise routine." You mentioned in another thread that you're young so now is the best time to develop good habits and maintain them, hopefully, for the rest of your life. With that in mind, I'd suggest that you:

Choose to be active every day or nearly every day in some way. Make exercise and activity a priority in your daily routine.

View food as a way to fuel your active lifestyle and, therefore, choose the best fuel by concentrating on fruits and veggies, whole grains, low fat dairy and lean protein.

Drink and eat in moderation. Weight loss is as simple (and as hard) as calories in versus calories out. Keep a food journal to get an idea of just how much you are eating. And remember that alcohol can sabotage weightloss efforts.

Get adequate sleep, e.g., 7 to 8 hours a day.

Don't sleep in all day; become a morning person.

Socialize with other active and fit people. There's increasing evidence to show that our social groups have a huge influence on our weight and activity levels.

Engage regularly in a variety of activities that hit upon the various areas of fitness, e.g., aerobic capacity, strength and resistance training, balance, and flexibility.

Do what you love, whether it be cycling or running or tennis, but be willing to try new things. Find what motivates you, e.g., exercising in a group setting, being outdoors, logging your progress, training for special events, etc.

Stay active even during the winter/colder months.

Listen to and respect your body, especially with respect to pain and the need for rest and recovery.

It probably goes without say, but don't smoke.

Just my two cents......
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

All what she said ... as you read thru the posts, all the success stories seem to start and end with 'calories in vs. calories out'. AND, stop in and join us on the weight loss challenge thread. The May/June Challenge is ending and there's a bunch of us ready for the July/August Weight Loss Challenge.

PJ