Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question San Francisco Bike Shops?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any suggestions for LBS in San Francisco? I'd like to search for a road/ touring bike and would like to find a helpful bike shop to go to. It would be even better if there were women working there that could help me better fit my bike.

I mostly know the East Bay, we came up with some good shops here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17093

and here

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=22604

Also if you're looking for women owned and or staffed shop check Alameda Bikes and Left Coast Cycles. But any of these would be good. IMHO I'd rather buy a bike that fits at a great shop than shop based on make/model. Trek makes some great bikes but why limit yourself? Lot's of good shops that have other bikes too.

Robinson Wheelworks mentioned in above posts mostly has road bikes (Seven, Mondonico, Torelli, Calfee, Habanero), some high-end mountain bikes but he also has Surly & Riv.

Chris and Steve are not women but I have nominated them for honorary women status and all the perks entitled to thereof because they treat women riders well!!!
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-18-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

For touring bikes, check American Cyclery. Tyson isn't a woman but he's a pretty cool guy and last I checked there was a woman or two working there. Not sure of the lines they're carrying now, but I know they've carried SOMA, Salsa, and other touring frames.

Funny I was at American Cyclery just yesterday getting new tires. There was a GUY outfitting a girl on a new lovely purple Bianchi road bike. She came in on her road bike in full road gear, (but it looked as if she maybe wiped out. She had a fresh skinned knee and black marks all over her legs.) At any rate, the reason I post is to say that it looked like the guy helping her was very attentive to her fitting needs. The other place in SF that I love is Roaring Mouse Cyclery on Irving (?? or Judah) at @ 15th st I believe. They built up my bike for me. The owner there , really nice guy did a great job fitting the bike to me and did so as well for my sister in law.

Btw, they, american cyclery, (the one on the west side of the street on stanyon), also carries specialized and Bianchi.

Quote Originally Posted by extra-vert View Post
    Funny I was at American Cyclery just yesterday getting new tires. There was a GUY outfitting a girl on a new lovely purple Bianchi road bike. She came in on her road bike in full road gear, (but it looked as if she maybe wiped out. She had a fresh skinned knee and black marks all over her legs.) At any rate, the reason I post is to say that it looked like the guy helping her was very attentive to her fitting needs. The other place in SF that I love is Roaring Mouse Cyclery on Irving (?? or Judah) at @ 15th st I believe. They built up my bike for me. The owner there , really nice guy did a great job fitting the bike to me and did so as well for my sister in law.
    +1 re: Roaring Mouse. When I was on my bike search I stopped into this LBS, too. The owner was very helpful and when I explained my needs even went so far as to recommend going with a brand he didn't carry. They're more convenient to where I live than the LBS I ended up buying my bike from and I intend on eventually going to Roaring Mouse for maintenance needs after my "free" tune-ups that came with my bike are used up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Robinson Wheelworks mentioned in above posts mostly has road bikes (Seven, Mondonico, Torelli, Calfee, Habanero), some high-end mountain bikes but he also has Surly & Riv.

Chris and Steve are not women but I have nominated them for honorary women status and all the perks entitled to thereof because they treat women riders well!!!
    I second that! They are right off the freeway, in case anyone thinks San Leandro means... I'll never find it. I now feel completely spoiled and wouldn't consider getting a bike anywhere else. But then they're only a half-hour away from me.

My limited experience revealed the following.
    Pacific Bicycle is a big store in SF. They carry a good range of bikes. However, this is the store that sold me a bike that was too small for me. Who knows why this happened, but buyer beware.

Another store that has good fitting experience is Cycle Sports in Oakland. Again, they're close to the freeway, and street parking is generally available. Very nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund View Post
    I second that! They are right off the freeway, in case anyone thinks San Leandro means... I'll never find it. I now feel completely spoiled and wouldn't consider getting a bike anywhere else. But then they're only a half-hour away from me.
    I bought one bike from Chris. He also built-up, customized all the rest of the stable of how many now? Four? G'aack, how'd that happen?

Cycle Sports crew are very nice. I think they carry Serrota (sp?), Orbea and other fine bikes.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/