Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Training for a lowly 30 miler???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey guys. I've decided I'd like to try and ride part of an MS ride next year. I believe I can do a 30 miler (correct me if I'm wrong on this). What would be a good way to train for it? Any MD ladies wanna jump in?

I think the best thing you can do is go along with someone who has experience.

They can challenge you to go way beyond what you would have thought possible. You need someone you can trust not to overdo it.
    If you find someone like that, you can go to 30 miles and beyond in style.

Have you got any aerobic base so far? Jogging, walking, hiking, anything?
    edit -I see you have been around here for a while and have biking experience. What's your current, comfortable distance?

There's a bike club in your town, they do rides, maybe call them ?
    Washington Women Outdoors
    19450 Caravan Drive
    Germantown, MD 20874
    (301) 864-3070
    Their website appears to be down.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 06-16-2008 at 03:07 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Hmmm... never heard of that club. I was gonna just start knocking out the miles solo. Working nights has its advantages.
    I also hike. Weekends are busy for me as I have church activities every other weekend

Dingster1 - Your local MS chapter should be putting out a training schedule, my local one does. I highly recommend you do the training rides.

What kind of bike do you have? Does it fit you properly (have you had it fit at your LBS)? Can you ride 10+ miles without stopping at a minimum of 10 mph? Make sure you have watter bottles or hydropack and actually drink while you ride.

If your MS-150 ride isn't a year from now, then you should be up to doing the whole thing by then. 75 miles in one day isn't TOO bad! Really.

If you have any medical problems, make sure your Doctor is OK with the long haul biking.

Good luck!
    Beth

Increase your mileage by 10% each week.

1+ BMC's suggestion - the prep rides are wonderful.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Marcie

how long was your longest ride so far?

(and yes, I think you can do 30 miles!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I'd like to add something a bit OT.

Get rid of that "lowly 30 miler" mindset. Don't be intimidated by other reports of epic rides. To me, a 30 mile ride is a good ride. Much more than that an it ceases to be enjoyable and begins to be an endurance test.

As for preparation, I don't think you'll have any problem.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Ditto on the whole "lowly" idea. I guarantee you that even for the ultra riders, at one point a 30 mile ride was their longest ride ever. I know I had that point in my riding career.

Build up gradually. What can you do now? 5 miles? 10 miles? If it's 10, add 3 - 5 miles on your next ride. Keep building gradually. You can get there. Keep it FUN. Stay hydrated, and remember to take in some food as you're riding longer and longer distances.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Of course you can do a 30-miler. All you have to do is get some miles under your belt.

I'd like to +1 the following: bmccasland, makbike, and zencentury. You just got that new road bike so make sure that you two spend some quality time together. Hit the trails in the area. You have a whole year but I really think you'll hit over 30 miles in one ride this year with the new bike. As long as you give yourself enough time to get use to the new road geometry and find the happy place with your saddle and shorts you can do as many miles as you like given enough training. Check the VeloDCity Meetup group. They have a lot of no-drop rides throughout the year and are a great way to get familiar with the area. Just ride. You'll hit 30+ in no time.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

30 miler

I found that it was helpful to go out on short rides on days I didn't have time for longer ones . It helped to get me used to sitting on the bike seat a lot, and now we do 40 milers about every 2 weeks without too much pain. So basically I was trying to ride as many days as possible during the week.

Yes to 10% increase in distance every week... but remember to take one "rest" week a month with no increase, and even a little bit of a decrease in your mileage.

And: of COURSE you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    I'd like to add something a bit OT.

Get rid of that "lowly 30 miler" mindset. Don't be intimidated by other reports of epic rides. To me, a 30 mile ride is a good ride. Much more than that an it ceases to be enjoyable and begins to be an endurance test.

As for preparation, I don't think you'll have any problem.
    +1, there's nothing "lowly" about it. And that's 30 miles more than most people ride
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/