Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

To disable ads, please log-in.

Both the Linus and Public are beautiful. Thanks, Knotted.

Her current bike is an 8 speed and a triple, and she loves having all those gears (and she needs them because the darn bike is about 35 pounds). She will ride it like a road bike, so more than around town and whatnot (she and I rode in Zion this spring and she kicked butt on the hybrid). I don't think 8 gears is enough for her, hence my suggestion that she have a bike built so she can choose how many gears and all that. I'm pretty sure the Soma dealer here also has a few Linus bikes. I will mention that to her as well.

Trek, you do know that I have a BJ in my stable, don't you? I don't ride it much, only when I'm feeling frisky enough to get home (I live on a big hill) with only 5 gears. I take it camping sometimes and use it to mosey around the campground.

Anyhoo, I want to make sure my friend gets something light and something that she will enjoy riding. It's nice to be the enabler!

More frame trivia: the Buena Vista is 5 lbs. My Surly is just slightly less than that. (4.8 lbs)

2/10 of a pound isn't gonna make me fret...

One minute I think I've talked myself out of it, the next minute I'm talking myself back into it. Sheesh!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hey Yellow and Knotted, I just got my Buena Vista, set up as a road bike - already posted about it here http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=41383&page=2

The photos don' t do it justice, I think it's much prettier in reality.
    I don't want to talk anybody into something but I really love this bike

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Have you seen a built Buena Vista in person? I am currently enabling someone in the bike-buying realm and she wants a step-through frame (she is close to 70 and does not want to swing her leg over) but something much lighter than her current hybrid bike. I'm encouraging her to look seriously at the Buena Vista, but I don't expect her to commit for a couple of months. We have a local dealer who can order and assemble for her, but she is hesitant because she has it in her head that she should be able to go to the store and buy a complete bike. I've assured her that she will love a bike put together just for her!

If you do commit, your timing could be good for her to stumble upon a review and some pictures.
    You will be happy to know that my freakin' first-off-the-assembly line Buena Vista frame is finally out of its hidey spot and ready for the build. Of course, I can't find the grips for the initial build (somewhere in the garage, don't ya know) and Velo Orange is out of stock on my chosen stem. But. This. Will. Happen.

I saw a Linus mixte at the LBS as I was running into the LFS yesterday. I only glanced but it looked nice but I don't think it had the gearing a 70 yr old would want in SLC. Probably has other options but I was focused on the LFS.

And, glad to hear the BJ is getting some attention.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 07-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Well, her hubby is insisting that even the XS is too big for her. I want to say she is 5'0" ish. She wants to be able to step through easily but also wants a lighter frame (she has a comfort bike now that has the loop-type step through and that sucker is HEAVY). I've encouraged them to contact Soma and ask how high the mixte bar is (they don't publish it on their website--they pubish a 25" standover but I really doubt that's to the mixte tube...seems high to me). Or go down to Saturday Cycles in SLC and talk to Mark since he knows everything there is to know about everything. SadieKate, is yours a S or XS?

FWIW, she doesn't really ride the hills, mostly the bike trail and then they ride when they are out RV-ing. I still think she needs lots of gears, though, since that is what she is comfortable with.

Based on our many emails back and forth, I fear that she will end up not getting anything (custom is not really an option). That makes me sad, because I think with the right bike she would enjoy riding even more and kick some serious booty

My BV is a SM.* The effective TT is darn near the same as the Racer X and my old Litespeed Unicoi. Oh yeah, and exactly what Tom Kellogg spec'd on my Spectrum.

I did buy it for exactly the reason so many people initially screamed. A longer than norm TT vs traditional mixte geometry, which I hate. No power position, and your butt and spine take a beating.

*Why did this just remind me that she has no name yet?

The name will come to you. And then you might change your mind.

I also recommended that my friend look at the Bike Fridays. She'd look much cuter on a Buena Vista, though.

Well, her hubby is insisting that even the XS is too big for her. I want to say she is 5'0" ish. She wants to be able to step through easily but also wants a lighter frame (she has a comfort bike now that has the loop-type step through and that sucker is HEAVY). I've encouraged them to contact Soma and ask how high the mixte bar is (they don't publish it on their website--they pubish a 25" standover but I really doubt that's to the mixte tube...seems high to me).
    I have the S frame (not the smallest one that would use 26'' wheels) and I am 5'3''. The XS frame is quite a lot smaller.
    It's possible to step through the Soma frame when wearing a skirt, but I wouldn't consider it a real "step through" frame like the one you described. I own a comfort bike too and there's quite a difference between the step-trough height of that one and the Soma. While I always jump down the comfort bike by putting my foot through the frame while the bike is still rolling, I can't do this on the Soma where I rather get on and of the bike the traditional way over the saddle.
    The Soma feels very small and comfortable, but is a lot more stretched out than the comfort bike. If you don't shorten the fork though, you can achieve a more upright position that comes close to that on a comfort bike.
    Last edited by Susan; 07-07-2011 at 03:49 AM.

I just measured my bike for you and the standover height (above the bottom bracket) of the 50cm frame with 700c wheels is a little more than 25''. It's sloping down to about 22'' next to the seat tube.

The XS frame uses 26'' wheels so you will achieve a lower stand over height.
    Last edited by Susan; 07-07-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Yellow - are you close to West Bountiful? Mark at Saturday Cycles is awesome and I am pretty sure they carry Soma. He may have some more ideas for your friend.

SadieKate - We have grips in our online store - cork and the rubber/cork blend

The Bike Hermit just made some changes on Karen's Soma Mixie here is the photo. Karen toured in England for a week last year and said it was awesome. She just bought a renovelo from Rivendell so the Bike Hermit is building that for her new road/touring bike and she changed her handlebars on her mixie to the Soma Oxford Albatross
    KnottedYet- don't you love Free Range Cycles, they sell a line of bags we are the distributors for and can't wait to go visit when we are in Washington next month.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    SadieKate - We have grips in our online store - cork and the rubber/cork blend
    Thanks, but I already have Riv's Tree Cork Grips for the final build after fitting. Somewhere in that thing we call the garage is a pair of brown leather grips for the initial build.

Now if you can give me a sweet deal on the small Zimbale saddle bag once I figure out the saddle . . . .

I also recommended that my friend look at the Bike Fridays. She'd look much cuter on a Buena Vista, though.
    Who wouldn't?

Yellow - are you close to West Bountiful? Mark at Saturday Cycles is awesome and I am pretty sure they carry Soma. He may have some more ideas for your friend.
    Yep, already mentioned to her and yes, he carries Soma (and I mentioned Mark above as well--he's very familiar with my Bob Jackson and sold me my Salsa Casseroll). I think he has some Linus bikes as well. I've attempted to lead the horse to water...it's up to her to take the next step. I've waxed poetic about the shop. Hopefully she will go by this weekend.

BTW, Mark is moving (maybe already moved) the shop to SLC proper, not too far from my house!

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Thanks, but I already have Riv's Tree Cork Grips for the final build after fitting. Somewhere in that thing we call the garage is a pair of brown leather grips for the initial build.

Now if you can give me a sweet deal on the small Zimbale saddle bag once I figure out the saddle . . . .
    No problem!!! just let me know when and what and we can work out something sweet!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

No problem!!! just let me know when and what and we can work out something sweet!
    Cool! Thanks. I'm trying out a Brooks saddle for the first time, a loaner, which means I'll need to a) decide on the model assuming I like Brooks and b) color.

Decisions, decisions.