Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monster Legs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Being one to hate to shop, especially for jeans, and spend the money for something that doesn't fit ... I started shopping at a resale shop that carried designer clothes. The best jeans I found were Bill Blass 'Perfect Fit'. Course being resale, they only cost $12 but there was only one pair. Got them when I need 14s, then months later after dropping weight, 12s. Could I find them online or after more pounds came off, nope!

Then I found a pair of Talbots (with stretch). Resale shop price $15, store/online $44-$58. But, they fit AND don't gap, just can't get the perfect length. Petites 29.5 fine w/sandles, to short w/shoes. Misses is 32", too long w/sandles, still tad too long w/shoes. They run their sizes small. I think I would now wear a 12 in most styles, but my Talbots jeans are 8s. Good for the ego until I go anywhere else! lol

I lost 45 lbs in last year and half, so this has been a fun forum thread to comisserate and be encouraged. I measured myself for first time in years:

w - 29.5
    h - 41
    th - 23
    age - 53
    wgt 135, hgt 5'4"

Quote Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
    It may be safe to say that's pretty "normal" when you get a group of athletic women together. I'm rocking 22" thighs with 40" hips and a 26" waist. Yes, we've got cuuuurves!

And I know it's a teen store, but the Hailey-fit jeans at Aeropostale fit like a dream. Some styles are super trendy, but they have the basic cuts/colors, not to mention long and short sizes too! I always stock up when they're having their $15 jean sales because trying to find jeans that fit anywhere else is a nightmare!
    I have to second Aeropostale jeans!!! Love them and they fit so well. My 13 year old daughter brought me in the store one time and I was hooked. She and I can even share them which is a bonus, although I can't keep her out of my closet now!!! They are great for woman with "monster legs"!!!

You know what is also really attractive for us women with big, strong legs? Wrap dresses.

I also find that Seven jeans, Hudson's and True Religions are pretty forgiving.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    ME:
    height: 5'4"
    thighs- 25"
    hips- 41"
    waist- 32.5"
    age- 46

I really DO have thunder thighs.

It's funny, cuz since I've lost all that weight, my big thighs don't bother me near as much.

Karen
    Hey Tuck, congratulations on your super duper weight loss. Are you hooked on Bootcamp?

When I was in high school, I hated the French jeans fashion era. I had to buy 2 sizes larger just to fit my 24" thighs (cuz I ran, lifted weights, and played sports) and had almost a foot of gaping waist band. Thank goodness manufacturers make relaxed fit jeans and pants. I still have 24" thighs.

I also find that Seven jeans, Hudson's and True Religions are pretty forgiving.
    I've gained 10 lbs in the last 6 months since I started triathlon training. And it's all in my thighs and butt. I can barely get my Seven jeans up over my thighs.
    And I've given up any idea of wearing my junior size clothes again. They are all cut for thin legs.
    I was complaining to my coach the other day about the weight gain and the size of my thighs. He said, "you're going to get huge!". Just what a girl wants to hear.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    That said, if you're my size I'd recommend investing in a pair of Seven for all Mankind jeans. I've never looked better in denim, and b/c of the 2% stretch they will fit the tiny-waist-big-thighs people, and they make the butt look good even when there's a little too much there. They are pricy but if you take care of them they will last. And the same pair that fit me with 37" hips still fits me well at 39", so if you fluctuate a bit up or down they'll still look hot.
    I have these too and they really do look great. It's worth the investment to me since I wear them all the time.

Talking

I just have to say that you are all really great. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm a naturally muscular person. I've always had really muscular legs even before I was biking. Now they are just morphing into something new.

Thanks

I get the Athleta catalog delivered to my house, and I LOVE looking at the models - they've all got a lot of muscle and fill out the clothes well, yet they look really good doing it. It makes me feel really good about how I look.

We also go to "Lumberjack Days" in Stillwater, MN every summer. I love watching the lumberjills tackle the logs. They've all got a lot of muscle too - probably more than I'll ever have!

I can relate to the new found muscles. First spinning and now cycling really have done a job on my quads... I was one of those knobby knee'ed apple shaped women who looked like a 4 year olds drawing - you know, big round body, two wimpy sticks for legs!

No matter how much I lifted or worked out, I could never build any quad muscles... but now I have! And I'm thrilled! They aren't big, but they're there.

I remember a few months ago, a coworker came to a spinning class with me. I took off my sweat pants and she remarked at how "skinny" my legs are. I dunno, as an athletic person, skinny really isn't what I'm going for. Especially since the rest of me certainly ain't! :P

Picture

Here's a picture of me from our backpacking trip last weekend. You can see my "monster legs" here. I have a lot of fat left to lose on them but I'm really looking forward to getting cycling legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lassen Volcanic-06-15-2008 121.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	6293  

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    And then there are those of us on the opposite end of the spectrum...wimpy legs that don't seem to build much muscle! Maybe THAT has something to do with why I've never been a very fast runner/cyclist (granted, I don't do as much as some of you but I do some type of workout almost every day). Today, for example, I did a 2-hour ride (just randomly decided to explore some of the surrounding towns) that worked out to be about 22 miles, maybe slightly more--that's 11 mph average speed, which is embarrassing given that there wasn't much stop and go once I got out of Worcester. If I had been riding with a group they would have been mad at me!!
    My measurements:
    Height: 5'2.5"
    Waist: 26"
    Hips: 35.5"
    Thighs: 17" around midpoint, 21" around adductor muscles (largest part)
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

How about this. I will give some of my tree trunks to whoever thinks their legs are too skinny. That way, we'll both be happy!

Wish it were as easy as that!

PS...how to measure thighs?? I took out a measuring tape and i'm shocked by what I saw. Hopefully I am not doing it right...I put the measuring tape around the biggest part of my upper leg.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelylibrarian View Post
    Here's a picture of me from our backpacking trip last weekend. You can see my "monster legs" here.
    You call those monster legs?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I looked at the photo before i read the text and my first thought was "she has skinny legs"

You're a piker in the monster leg competition.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    You call those monster legs?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I looked at the photo before i read the text and my first thought was "she has skinny legs"

You're a piker in the monster leg competition.
    Yep....they'd throw you back in the ocean.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^