Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Clavicle Recovery

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi--

I broke my clavicle in early May. I had to have a pin placed to stabilize the bones (broke it in two places). The doc said the pin will be in for 3-4 months. So, no bike riding for most of the summer.

Here's are my questions for those of you who have had this type of injury:

What did you do to stay fit during the recovery time (right now I can't run, bike, or swim)?

How long did it take you to begin riding comfortably?

Any recovery tips are appreciated!

BTW, the accident did not occur while on the bike. I'd feel much cooler if it did.
    ...my dogs are smarter than your dogs...

I broke a clavicle 3 years ago. Took about 6 months to get back to activities - 6 weeks for the bone to mend, 4 months of physical therapy to get range of motion back. During the PT, I was spending 2-3 hours per day on range-of-motion exercises, so not much time left for aerobic activity anyway. Even walking was uncomfortable for the first few months, and hiking bothered me for over a year afterwards - still does sometimes. Biking is less of a problem (no jarring).
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Thanks for your response...I'm afraid it's going to take much longer than I want it to.
    ...my dogs are smarter than your dogs...

I know it is super boring, but can you ride a trainer? Spinervals can be your friend.

I did not break my clavicle, but I broke my scapula in January and was able to ride the trainer with a sling (once it wasn't painful to have the jarring from pedal movement).

I used this brace http://www.push-brace.com/Products/S...1/Default.aspx at Wahine's suggestion. It locked the arm against the waist - yet when my strength was better and pain was less, I was able to free my forearm to allow better stabilization while standing on the trainer. It's a very versatile brace.

The trainer isn't great - but I sure wish I had done more of it, as I would now be in better shape than I am now.

ETA: My dogs are pretty smart...
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes