Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 1930 philips

1930 philips

To disable ads, please log-in.

there is an old Philips with a roll bar on ebay that my brother would LOVE..a 1930's English bike....

Do you have any idea what it would cost to fix her up to riding condition? or is it too far gone...? ballpark?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

I can't say if it's good or not, but here's what I do know from my personal experience with an old Ebay bike...

I got my bf a vintage 1960s Coppi complete bike. The frame was in perfect condition, no rust, actually looked like it had never been ridden. He decided to put skinny tires on it, ended up switching both deraillieurs, and got it a new crankset, seat post and pedals. By the end, we ended up spending close to $500 on parts and labor, most of which were vintage, or at least used. I got the complete bike for around $150.

It adds up fast. I also want to add he LOVES this bike, so it was worth every penny.

I'd ask to see pictures of the drivetrain. If all the parts are there, you should be able to make it work. it doesn't look too rusty.

A guy in my baseball league pulled up on a old English bike like that the other day. Of course I had to go and talk to him. He got it on Ebay for $35.00. He said he thought the guy didn't know what he was selling...but maybe that's all they're worth. This guy had a attached a baby seat to it. (He always has his little baby in a sling and brings his boy out on Saturdays and Sundays and coaches him in the batting cage--I rarely see the mommy but I think she's a student at JBU and he does the full time child care which is very rare around here!)

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I'd ask to see pictures of the drivetrain.

Karen
    It's missing the crank.

According to Sheldon Browns site, the bottom bracket is probably 1 3/8" X 26 tpi with a 71 mm shell width. Nothing at all modern will fit it- everything else is 24 tpi. So unless you can find a similar vintage bottom bracket, or just like to look at vintage frames, I don't think it's worth it. But I have seen Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs for sale at very reasonable prices - you'd want to check the frame dropout spacing to be sure a new one would work.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

how cool is that! listen to Deb. She is very wise .
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

ah how I love TE....you're my people....
    tanks
    Discipline is remembering what you want.