Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

good website

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm about to overwhelm you with more info than you'll ever need ......
    check out http://www.cyclingsite.com/lists_articles/ and after reading these, if you want more, go to the homepage and start reading. Bob & Rox set up this website a number of years ago, to gather info about Cycle Oregon and to help first-timers get a feel for what they were getting themselves in for. They had so much knowledge that they wanted to share, and wanted others to have input as well, and so it came to life. Even though this site has been around for about 10 years, every time I go there, I find something new I had not read before. (and yes, the Edna mentioned in emails and such is me and Dave (Slug) is my DH).

Happy reading and enjoy your tour.
    Edna

Quote Originally Posted by evangundy View Post
    I'm about to overwhelm you with more info than you'll ever need ......
    check out http://www.cyclingsite.com/lists_articles/ and after reading these, if you want more, go to the homepage and start reading.
    Thank you so much! This is great, and gave me some ideas I hadn't thought about.

My husband and I have done several bike tours and are getting ready for three trips this summer. We have 2 gear bags - 1 for our camping gear and 1 for our clothes. I would highly recommend getting something with wheels. It makes it much easier to shlep your gear from the truck to your camp site. We got ours from REI and I know LLBean has rolling duffles. We also use dry bags for all our clothes. These are long round heavy tube shaped plastic bags that fold over and seal at the open end. We got them at a Bass Pro shop. I think they are really made for boaters. In addition, we picked up some light weight camp stools at Bass Pro that are easy to pack. Hope you have a great trip. We love touring and have met so many great people.

I'm a bit of an obsessive packer.

My approach is also to separate gear in large ziplocs, however not by day but by category. I have a ziploc for bike shorts, another for jerseys, another for accessories, one for off-bike tops, one for off-bike bottoms, one for socks. I find that the weather conditions the morning of often force me to change my plans for changing.

And the ziplocs keep everything dry in the event of rain. They make really really big ones now that you can use for the sleeping bag...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    For the multi-day touring rides that we done which most we do on our own with no sag support, admittedly I'm pretty simplistic for packing in case of rain:

I keep my "cleaner" clothes in a separate plastic bag from another bag with cycling gear. Then another bag for clothing that needs to be laundered...when I get home. Toiletries in a separte little plastic bag. My toiletries I tried to use items that were used enough at start of trip, that I would use it all up by end of trip. Travel size toothpaste sometimes just wasn't quite enough for the length of some loaded trips.

That's all. On some earlier trips, before I started to wear cycling jerseys only in past 5 years, I was ..wearing T-shirts...and would wear an older t-shirt and later on trip, throw away the T-shirt..lighten the load.