Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Helmets

Helmets

To disable ads, please log-in.

What's your favorite? I have a cheap one and have been looking around. Atmos is expensive, the Pneumo is cheaper, I like it. Have also looked at the Stylus, about $83.00 with more vents than the Pneumo. Anyone try it?

I like the Pneumo. I tried an Atmos a few months ago when I found one on sale but it didn't fit me as well.

Don't know anything about the Stylus.

Just remember that the more expensive helmets aren't any safer than cheaper ones. The cost is a reflection of the weight and the number of vents (and marketing). Find one that fits well first and foremost. I, personally, don't like those that are gray or black because I'd rather have some additional color for visibility.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I have a Trek WSD helmet that I love. I can't remember the model name, but it's blue with a few red hibiscus flowers on it. It's super light - I usually forget I have it on - it has a lot of vents and it has space for a ponytail in back. I highly recommend it.

Hot screaming lime-green-yellow covered with reflective tape Bell Citi. $48 http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ...asp?prodID=10#

WITH a Mutant Guppy on top!

As they shout on the MUTs around here: Pull your head out of your b*tt and put a helmet on it! (we're a little excitable here in America's SECOND Best Cycling City)

ETA: and the Citi has a rounded back, so no faux-aero pointy bit to catch on the pavement when you crash and cause you to snap your neck.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-06-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have the Bell Citi too...in a dark dark red with seagulls on it...I llike it because it got great reviews and it looks like a jockey's cap...
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

I forget what brand it is, but my current helmet has a bee guard on it -- a mesh screen behind the vents. It seemed like a brilliant idea to me because I am always getting bees in my helmet and they scare the bejeezus out of me.

Last time I wore it, a bee flew in the side, where there is no mesh. And then couldn't get out the front because of the mesh.

So I am thinking this is a dumb feature.

Got a pneumo. Could not resist the sale price. I llike it, plenty of vents. Not as hot as my last helmet but it is true, they all pass the safety test,regardless of cost.

I just ordered a new Giro from Sierra Trading Post. It's red , all my previous helmets were pink. Time for something more visible and a great price.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I have a Bell head. The Giros just don't fit me. I have found the Sweep-R to be my favourite but the Furio (cheaper) fits me pretty well.

I need to replace my Sweep now, so I might go for the Furio...

I have a Trek Sonic that I've had for 2 or 3 years. Fits great, never seems too hot - the best I've had so far. My DH just got me a new Trek Interval for our anniversary (after I zeroed in on it a couple of weeks ago because it was green ). Much hinting and guiding and prodding on my part. It fits great too. Unlike the Giro Skyla that was next to it - that one seemed like the right size, but it actually hurt my head to both sides of the top. Very uncomfortable.

I always think I look goofy in helmets that look cool just sitting there, or on other people's heads. These are no exception, but I think I'm just goofy.