Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Pedal peddle petal...
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Two months ago I sent someone an email in which I accidentally wrote "to" when I meant "too." It was a pure typo, not an intentional misuse of the word, but I'm still embarrassed by it - even though I know the recipient knows that I know the difference.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Two months ago I sent someone an email in which I accidentally wrote "to" when I meant "too." It was a pure typo, not an intentional misuse of the word, but I'm still embarrassed by it - even though I know the recipient knows that I know the difference.
    we all saw that, Oakleaf, your friend forwarded that email along to the Grammar Hall of Infamy. Maybe some day we'll all be able to forget it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

Wow Mimi, you saw it too? It made the rounds in Missouri several weeks ago!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I really DO know that bad spelling and/or grammar is not a sign of poor intelligence. But the confusion of homophones here seems to be getting worse (rode/road, pedal/peddle). It does bug me. I admit it. I still read everything, though. I just wonder if some people write like that at work, or is it because this is a more casual usage situation. Some errors are so consistent over many posts, that I know they are not typos. I make many of those myself, but my browser (Safari) picks them up. Like I tell my students, "Those little red and green lines mean something!"

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I really DO know that bad spelling and/or grammar is not a sign of poor intelligence. But the confusion of homophones here seems to be getting worse (rode/road, pedal/peddle). It does bug me. I admit it. I still read everything, though. I just wonder if some people write like that at work, or is it because this is a more casual usage situation. Some errors are so consistent over many posts, that I know they are not typos. I make many of those myself, but my browser (Safari) picks them up. Like I tell my students, "Those little red and green lines mean something!"
    ah, the spell checker.
    Someone I know wrote a short story about someone named Smitty. It's dramatic and sad. Well, somehow the spell checker kicked in and changed some of the Smittys to Smutty. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, as he fixed some of them but not others....
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    ah, the spell checker.
    Someone I know wrote a short story about someone named Smitty. It's dramatic and sad. Well, somehow the spell checker kicked in and changed some of the Smittys to Smutty. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, as he fixed some of them but not others....
    Oh, you mean like the time I wrote a paper about relative plate motions for a geology class in college, and the dang spell-checker changed every "subduction zone" to "seduction zone" and "orogeny" to "erogeny" (which I failed to notice)? (Gives a new meaning to "thrust fault!")

My prof got a good laugh out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Wow Mimi, you saw it too? It made the rounds in Missouri several weeks ago!
    Oh no!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

One of my fellow grad school folks left a paper she was working on for her advisor open on a lab computer and went to dinner. We always warned folks to not leave things open on a group computer. In true 12-yr old fasion, my friend and I went through the document randomly inserting words like "boobies". Nothing too graphic, but definitely things to embarrass her.

Ah, I miss acting like a 12 yr old.

And yes, she caught it before turning it in, but cursed us for her having to go through it and check for them, as of course spell check didn't catch most of them.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by trickytiger View Post
    Oh, you mean like the time I wrote a paper about relative plate motions for a geology class in college, and the dang spell-checker changed every "subduction zone" to "seduction zone" and "orogeny" to "erogeny" (which I failed to notice)? (Gives a new meaning to "thrust fault!")

My prof got a good laugh out of that.
    this is way better than Smutty.

and Possegal, I used to put odd things in work reports I wrote to make sure my lead was reading them.
    If he didn't catch them the first time I would tell him he'd better check again.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

That's it. I can know longer post to TE from work. There's know Mozilla hear.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I admit that I cannot spell. I have always been missing that gene so I apologize ahead of time for my mistakes as they are bound to happen (spell check or not). That said, I do my best.

I will say that I find things like road/rode and peddle/pedal actually highly distracting when I'm reading a post. I also bristle at the use of 'alot'. Of course, neither of these things really compare to my utter hatred for the non-word 'prolly'. I actually used to work with people who honestly thought that prolly was a word. These were people with advanced degrees in engineering, no less. Ugh.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    . Of course, neither of these things really compare to my utter hatred for the non-word 'prolly'. I actually used to work with people who honestly thought that prolly was a word. These were people with advanced degrees in engineering, no less. Ugh.
    Speaking of non-words, how about welp? Is that like a dog ?
    Where did it come from?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

When we first moved back to Massachusetts one of my sons, who was 8, came home and insisted that the word drawer (like dresser drawer) was spelled draw. I was furious, because I knew he had picked this up at school, most likely from a teacher (she had sent something home with this spelling). I had worked so hard to lose all traces of my accent when I moved away and I made sure my kids kept their flat little midwest accents that they got from being born in AZ. I mean, I check every single piece of paper or e mail that goes out to parents. So, I think that some people really *do* think that things like "prolly" and "draw" are real. It depends where you live. I have parents, not much younger than me send me notes with "u" for you. People really don't see what's wrong with this.
    We are a dying breed.

Hi there. I know I can not spell very well, never have been very good at that. I work with someone who always makes up words or shortens them. For example, if you ask her a question she often states " noneya" which means none of your business. She has several words she likes to use.