OK, maybe just a campout with bikes. This was the first of our local overnighters. I loaded up BOB and went to work, left work a little early, met DH and off we rode to the local state park. The orginial plan was to ride to the farthest campground to spend the night. But the clouds were building and thunder started rumbling. We rounded the corner and were staring at a solid sheet of rain to the north so we hightailed it to the nearest campground. Being a weeknight we had no problem getting a spot and the ranger took us to a lovely grass area along the river.

We didn't quite beat the rain, it started as we were setting up the tent. But things didn't get too wet, just a little damp. We got the tent up, threw stuff inside and waited out the storm. It lasted a couple of hours which lead to the first items being added to the list of things to bring. Book, cards, MP3 player? Something to pass the time. The rain finally quit and we crawled out to make a fire and cook dinner. We discovered that our lovely grass sight was also a favorite place for the local geese. The grass was covered with hundreds of big goose turds. DH made a fire in the fire pit, I cooked dinner with the MSR stove. We ate while warming up with the fire. Even though it was wet, it wasn't too terrible cold so we passed a pleasant evening. Tent and sleeping gear passed the test and we awoke the next morning to mostly sunny skies, hot coffee and muffins.

We loaded up after spending a lazy morning drinking coffee and watching the river, geese and ducks. The only problem with the ride home were the large hills to climb. But we climbed them all and arrived back home in time for me to take a quick shower and be at work just after lunch.

All in all a successful outing. We plan to do a few more overnighters, until we get most of the kinks worked out. Hopefully by the end of summer we will be ready for a weeklong trip.

Here's a few pictures of our adventure.

In the morning, before coffee.

At the top of the biggest hill and still breathing.

The Spokane River, in flood stage.