Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

OT: Thinking about moving to Oz...

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of moving for a few years now. We vacationed in QLD and absolutely loved it. At first it was just a fun idea but due to a number of reasons we'd like to think it's a possibility now. My husband has job leads in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. I have some questions if you ladies wouldn't mind helping me out a bit:

-Are there any Americans on TE that have made the move to Oz? I'd love to hear about your visa app process and the move.
    -What's the job market like right now?
    -Is the economy relatively stable?
    -This question might open a can of worms, but what's the general attitude towards Americans?
    -I know 101 reasons why I'd like to move down under, but what would you say is the number one reason why I wouldn't want to?
    -Lastly, and most important...how's the mountainbiking???

THANK YOU!!!!

hey

Umm first off..where in the US are you by chance? Just wondering if you're used to heat..?

Righty-o..I'll try and answer a few q's..

1-NOt sure about the visa process but if your hubby has a job offer from a company they'll work out the paperwork etc. You may end up on the 457 visa but i'm not 500% sure. You can check out http://www.immi.gov.au & you can always contact the Australian Consulate in Washington

2-Economy-Well, Western Australia & Queensland are doing well due to the Mining & resources boom.. you can always check out www.theaustralian.com.au (national newspaper) & the business section. For jobs try www.seek.com.au

houses www.realestate.com.au

3-Attitude towards americans-umm..might i suggest contacting one of the American Clubs in Australia for that one...Being Canadian we're pretty much liked here but not sure about how that applies for Americans.. As long as you adapt to the Aussie lifestyle & get to know the sports etc you'll do just fine.

4-Umm you might not want to move here because of the heat or crazy creatures? Can you handle 45C?

Ahhhh..last but not least..Mountain Biking..Ahhhhh...Well, this all depends on where you live. Out East, you'll have your fair share & be able to attend some awesome events. Out west, well there are some great tracks but most are illegal.

Melbourne has interesting weather, great shopping, good hills, good mountain biking (home of the 06 Commonwealth games XC course), good greek restuarants

Brisvegas-Close to great beaches & cycling

I don't know about housing prices over east but i can ask our kiwi friends that just moved to Sydney about thier experience. Renting a house will be expensive if you come west...

I don't know if i've answered your qu's
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 06-03-2008 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Umm first off..where in the US are you by chance? Just wondering if you're used to heat..?

4-Umm you might not want to move here because of the heat or crazy creatures? Can you handle 45C?
    Temperature translation - 45 C = 113 F.
    Have you visited Phoenix / Yuma / Death Valley in the summer? Live in the Central Valley of California?

Not sure if they have a *dry heat* or if there's humidity thrown in or not. Humidity makes it feel hotter.

CC - I had no idea it got that hot along the coast in the summer! I knew the center of the country was bloody hot, but thought the coast was cooler. Then again, maybe 45 is cooler compared to the interior.
    Beth

I live in Seattle and cannot stress how much I hate the weather. I am used to it now but it doesn't mean I like it! Before living here I spent 5 years in the California desert so the temps wouldn't be a shock. We really adapt well to new places and things. I've been reading an expat blog and some people freak out and are depressed because they can't find Chips Ahoy cookies in Oz...I mean, can't they just find another cookie they like instead? LOL

Thanks for the tips and websites!

ah, you're going over to the dark side. This has been a cold year so far in Seattle.
    but me, I'm not complaining! never going to die of dehydration/exposure in Seattle!

Some people love it here; some relocate!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

phew!

Drtgirl-Ya think ya might see a bit of a diff in the weather if you move to Aust from SEattle...

Feel free to Pm me but what type of work do you both do? I can suggest some companies but need to know a bit more info..

We used to go to the Canadian club thanksgiving dinners held here in Perth but I became a bit sick of people saying " oh i miss shopping at the gap the most" & most were a bit snobbish.. We now only visit a few Canuck couples.

If you move to Perth you'll be surrounded by Kiwis, Poms & Saffies.. We're friendly out this way

I had heard it is extremely difficult for Americans to move and live permanently in Australia. Anyone here the same?
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

depends

I'm going to say it depends what field of work you're in....If you're part of the mining, construction or medical fields for example, there are heaps of jobs in Western Australia & Queensland.

Talk to an immigration consultant...