Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commutes we want to forget

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought it might be nice to have a thread of sympathy for our commutes that just don't go right. Hopefully it is a slow thread...

Today I had a commute I would rather forget. I was riding home and began to notice my front wheel was rubbing on the fork when it passed. I just had this wheel trued for this problem. The ride got progressively rougher and I got a sinking feeling about the situation. Then at mile 10.73 KABOOM!!!! My tire blew out. I was on a downhill with a strong tailwind and going 25 mph. It scared the bejeezus out of me that is for sure. The tire was completely destroyed, no chance of a booting it. I hoofed it for the next 1.66 miles in 100 degree weather wondering what I did to anger the gods. I am thankful I commute in mountain shoes. I guess I am also thankful this was the afternoon commute and I didn't have to walk to work.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Did you stay upright????

Ohhh....that's scary And that sucks

That's one of those things you just can't reasonably plan for - I certainly don't carry extra tires on organized rides or around town rides (I can't commute - long story).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Did you stay upright????
    Actually, I did but it took some work. I have had flats that went real quick but never such a violent blow out.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Ooooaaark

Good job on staying upright!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

For only the second time ever, today I had someone intentionally drive their car straight at me. D@mn near hit me. I really wish I'd been able to get his license plate.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    For only the second time ever, today I had someone intentionally drive their car straight at me. D@mn near hit me. I really wish I'd been able to get his license plate.
    Sadly, prior to the blowout yesterday this happened to me. Some punk middle aged man driving a Porsche Boxter down the shoulder to turn into his fancy golf course community. He got to the turn 30 seconds earlier by almost taking me out, I am sure that 30 seconds was worth it. He had already started pushing over when he saw me coming earlier.
    Amanda

My guy (also some punk middle ager ) was at a stop sign controlled intersection. Not only did I get there before him, I was also the vehicle on the right. He obviously thought he'd "teach me a lesson" that cars were faster, so I did not deserve my turn and he should not have to yield to me. I was going straight, he was sort of turning left (its a funky 5 streeter) - we were going onto the same street. He hit the gas hard when I was pretty much in the middle of the intersection and then nearly slammed into me (I'm talking his front bumper probably less than an inch from my front wheel) because there was oncoming traffic and he just had to squeeze by me. If I hadn't been weighed down my my messenger bag and on my commuter I probably could have caught him..... this particular street has a bunch of stop signs so I can keep up with traffic if I'm feeling frisky.
    Last edited by Eden; 06-03-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

wow, I'm sorry to hear your stories, ladies.
    My commute hasn't been bad since the day the truck driver tried to pretend i wasn't there. that was last year.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Wow, I can't believe you were able to keep yourself upright.

I'm having an ok commute day....as I sit here in my sweatshirt that I use when my office is too cold. Yup, I forgot to pack a shirt. Oh well. The day my pants got wet was worse.

It is pathetically sad that any of us have commutes which we want to forget. I have two. One ended with a dislocated shoulder and broken finger, the other, still has me off the bike, with a couple of metal parts, and only working part time. I see more and more cycles on the road with gas prices getting so high. At some point people in cars are going to have to slow down, pay attention, and respect us for doing something good for ourselves and the earth. I wish there were a way to have OUTRAGEOUS fines for anytime a car hits a pedestrian or cyclist fault or no. It seems, at least in the US, that people don't change behaviors until it hurts in the wallet. ARG!
    "Do or do not. There is no "try." Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by invsblwmn View Post
    It is pathetically sad that any of us have commutes which we want to forget.
    I was more thinking of things like "ugh, what bad luck". Much like the recent story of the shoe in the bike, my blowout, etc... I hope it doesn't turn into a hit by car thread.

The guy buzzing me was something I was ready for (I saw him straddling the line earlier). I was proud of myself for being defensive. I am excited that they are going to put a bike path in the area. I will consider that for the afternoons when I have more traffic to share (me not them it seems) the road with.

The tire was one of those bad luck, could have been any ride.
    And hoofing it 1.5 miles was definitely something to forget!
    Amanda

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack.

DH had his presta valve get stuck last night so he couldn't air up the tires on his commuting bike - required pliers to loosen. Does that count??
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sorry you had a commute that you'd like to forget. I think if we have those every now and then, it makes us appreciate the times we make it to/from work without any incident at all. I hope tomorrow's commute to and from is much less scary.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Aggie,
    Sorry if I turned your theme. It was amazing being able to wrangle your bike into being upright at that speed. A bit of an adrenaline rush? Eh? Congrats on that. Perhaps maybe we could call your post "commutes we demonstated our skills in" Take care.
    "Do or do not. There is no "try." Yoda