Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: A good commute

A good commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the first time since I started commuting this season, I felt like I had a good ride this morning. I've always been slower in the morning than on the afternoon commute, but the last 2 weeks have been pitiful and painful. I think some of it is because it's finally a little warmer; 55 instead of 40 or 42 at 5:45 AM. I didn't have to wear my full winter gear today for the first time.
    Although my speed wasn't stellar, it was OK for a commute, nothing hurt, and I felt like I was flying. I also "noticed" all of the cool things I see along the way, instead of thinking "I can't stand this."
    I actually will have to wear sleeveless for the ride home.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm the same as you: in cold weather all I can think of on the way to work is how much fun commuting ISN'T. When it warms up- my whole attitude changes. I think for me it has something to do with the darkness/cold combination. When it warms up, it also lightens up which makes my mood much better.
    I'm glad you had a great ride this morning, and sleeveless in the afternoon sounds simply wonderful! Enjoy the ride home!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

the darkness is what does it to me. Here in Seattle, we are so far north, that there are long, long months of having to go to work in the dark.
    Cold is not a big deal for me unless it gets hot in the afternoon. then i have to lug all that warm weather gear home with me.

Happy commuting. Today was my 41st commute on my bicycle this year!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

*sigh* for me it is the heat. The mornings are awesome, the ride home not so much. Friday it was a hundred, all this week probably the same. It only gets hotter from now till monsoon. Sorry I'm slipping into whine mode. Its not so bad once my body aclimates.

This is funny I was just thinking on my way home today - dang, I love commuting, but does it have to be so darn HOT IN SUMMER! Today was the first day I could ride to work and back in short shorts and sleeveless top. It was maybe 75 deg F
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Haa haa, I'm not looking forward to oppressive heat in the 90s and up come summer either. I'm trying to get a lot of my miles in now so that come the heat I won't feel so bad staying home. It also helps to have a neighborhood pool to come home to after such rides.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I think some of it is because it's finally a little warmer; 55 instead of 40 or 42 at 5:45 AM. I didn't have to wear my full winter gear today for the first time.
    Full winter gear? Do you ride all winter? I trust you don't mean "dead of winter, 15-degrees-outside" gear? I'm imagining you with three layers of pants, two layers of socks + booties, two shirts, a long sleeve jacket, a scarf, ear warmers, to pairs of gloves...

I've lately been thinking how nice mornings are; 45 degrees means light-weight long Spandex with just a light-weight long-sleeve shirt and the classic neon-yellow vest. But I'm with you, 55 is a great temperature to ride in for the morning. Not too hot, but (is this crazy? I hope not) I leave the long pants at home.

Yay for commuting when it's actually NICE outside! This time of year, and with gas prices the way they are, my coworkers look at me as less crazy and more enviable.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Ahh, no I don't ride in the winter... any part of the winter. Usually I'll get a few rides in during December and I start again March. Well, if it gets to 40 I'll ride my road bike if the roads are OK and I'll ride my hybrid down to about 35; same with the mtb. But that's not commuting. I'm a teacher and I have to be at work early, so I leave at 5:30 to 5:45. Since I commute on my road bike, which does not support a light, because I have ergonomic carbon bars, I really only commute about 6-8 weeks out of the year. And that will be over when school is out, because I am going back to school in the fall and I will be taking the train into Cambridge. Most of my classes are at night and I don't really want to ride home from the station at 7-8 PM, let alone leave my Jamis hybrid there all day.
    When it's 40 I am wearing tights over shorts, a sleeveless base layer, a medium or light weight wool or fleece jersey and a wind jacket. Oh yes, and a head cover (light fleece), full fingered gloves, wool socks, and booties. As it gets to 45 I lighten up on the jersey thickness.
    I don't like riding in the heat even more than the cold! really 55-72 is my favorite temperature. It is going to be in the 90's this weekend and I am already dreading it. I'll be out early this weekend.
    I don't know how you ride in AZ. I used to walk at 5 AM in Tempe and even that was pushing it. And I was young then!